Thread: Found some micro cermet volume controllers for DIY people. 4 for $6.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Found some micro cermet volume controllers for DIY people. 4 for $6.

Ive been doing a lot of trial an error with volume controllers. I found that the 500 OHM pots that you would use for a guitar burn up quickly and cause problems. On one machine, it works well, and another it does not. For my Popeye pachinko machine, I needed the micro ones, versus the large guitar pots. A seller has them on ebay, but I just couldnt justify the $18 for 6 of them, knowing they where just simply trimmers. I found this listing on ebay, gave them a shot and they work great. Much better than the guitar pots!

Here is the listing:
    500 Ohm Cermet Trimmer Pot 1 Turn Tocos New Qty 4pcs | eBay

$T2eC16FHJHYE9nzpcDiuBQCHZhq!Dw~~60_57.jpg

They are very small, and the pins are somewhat fragile. When its soldered correctly with heatshrink and seated well in the machine, I had no problems adjusting the volume without damaging them. You probably can find them cheaper in bulk, but for $6 for 4 of them I was happy. A warning though, you have to be decent at soldering because they are very small! Using cheapie irons wont cut it unless you have a thin tip. You will need flux as well
    Last edited by PachiPachi; 07-17-2013 at 04:52 PM.

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to PachiPachi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Found some micro cermet volume controllers for DIY people. 4 for $6.

They're only rated at 1/4 watt, so while you'll probably get away with them on a machine like Popeye, they will be more likely to burn up if used in a more recent machine with more powerful audio amplifiers.

I found with most of my machines 1/4 watt were just about OK, provided you don't set them near the extremes of their range (either quiet or loud). On the Sankyo Lumina frame machines the only ones that lasted were rated at 1/2 watt (Bourns 3309P 500 ohm), so now that's what I have in all of my machines.

4. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Found some micro cermet volume controllers for DIY people. 4 for $6.

Thanks Daverob! I guess I did not search very hard. I tried to find something above the 1/4 watt, but I couldn't find one. Ill keep these in mind!