Thread: A little help with a decision, please.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default A little help with a decision, please.

Perhaps you can help me out.
    I've got a little bit of the bug. So I would like another pachinko machine.
    I would really love a Fever Macross, but it seems like they are hard to come by at the moment.
    So, I am thinking of something else to put the desires at bay.
    I am deciding between two pachinkos, Superman Returns or Macross Frontier.

Why Superman Returns? This one seems to have a lot of gimmicks, (dual screen, slot reels, etc) and the game play looks ok. I think that if in the future I need to sell the pachinko, a theme like Superman would have a greater appeal to a larger buying pool, than something more specific that would be the target of collectors. Average Joe has heard of superman, he doesn't know who Julie is.

Why Macross Frontier? This one has the V Trigger frame, and if it turns out I can only get a Fever Macross as a cell, then it will fit, the frame might be a different color, but the cell will fit. I can't tell the quality of the game play for Macross Frontier, but you experts can school me on that.

I am certain that someone will say, Get the Evangelion 6, its good and has the V Trigger frame! But the frame is so specialized for Evangelion, it would probably look out of place for Fever Macross.

Well experts, what are your opinions?

Thank you

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: A little help with a decision, please.

instead of worrying about resale value, buy something you will like the best
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

3. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    instead of worrying about resale value, buy something you will like the best
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Why settle when you know what you want?

Contact 5 Brothers or Akimono and have them find you what you really want and add it to their next shipment.

You'll be glad you did!
    Gotta catch 'em all Pa-chink-o

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Ikaria

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If it's for resale, I would probably skip Superman Returns. I'm not knocking the machine (actually looks like alot of fun), but it's a machine that's themed from a movie that quite honestly is not a good movie... Even though it made a ba-jillion dollars at the box office when it came out, it isn't all that memorable. ALot of my friends collect comics, video games and such, and I don't know of any of them that has a copy on dvd.

Because of this, i don't think it'll be on anyone's pachinko wish list and not likely to get your full investment back. Not hurtfull, just being honest.

It looks like a fun machine, but chances are that if you're going to get it as a investment for a later trade, I feel that you're going to loose money on this venture.
    WANTED LIST: Tom & Jerry Pachinko (2010). Blood+ Pachislo (2010). Woody Woodpecker Pachinko (2004). Indiana Jones Pachiko or Pachislo (2006). Ghostbusters Pachinko. Popeye Pachiko (2004). Takumi Way Pachinko (2008).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As far a resale value, I have to agree with others here. Pachinko machines in themselves are TERRIBLE investments. Pachinko machines leave the factory floor and often cost $1500.00 or more brand new. It then spends a year in a pachinko parlor and either gets parted or sold to a reseller. By the time it is available in the US the machine is at least 3 to 4 years old, and is sold to the home user at 1/3 to 1/4 the original price. Consider that the reseller has to make money refurbishing them and shipping them over, so they probably pick them up in Japan for under $100.00.

That being said, some machines do hold their value reasonably well. One example of this is the 2005 Sankyo CR Fever Star Wars. This machine is still in high demand due to the Star Wars branding. The machine itself is "ok" to play but is VERY stingy. However in it's original white lumina frame it is a very attractive machine and attracts both Star Wars Fans and Pachinko Fans alike. Another nice thing is that the movie clips played are in english with japanese subtitles so the machine does not "speak" to you in Japanese. There is a newer Star Wars machine that is currently making itself available called Star Wars Advent Vader, or sometimes Star Wars Vader Rising, or Star Wars Darth Vader.

This machine includes content from the prequels and does away with a lot of the "stock" movie footage of the first machine and replaces it with cartoon avatars of the main characters. Given my druthers, I prefer the more "mature" feel of the 2005 machine and quite frankly it will be pried from my cold dead fingers before I give it up.

Enter the Matrix is another popular machine because of the Matrix theming, unique game play and extensive use of animatronics of the playfield. Some other popular ones mentioned on this site are Tom and Jerry, Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, and Popeye. Also a lot of people like the Evangalion series of machines.

It's best to go with your gut and get what you like. I love Star Wars, so I picked that machine up as soon as it was available within driving distance. Sold two of my vintages to get it. I'm also picking up a Star Blazers machine because I love the whole Space Battleship Yamato anime series.

One last thing to consider. Modern machines are notoriously difficult to repair. Vintage machines are relatively simple mechanical mechanisms and as such can be repaired to functionality with simple hand tools and basic mechanical skills. Thats why there are still tons of vintage machines being played and in beautiful shape even 40+ years after their manufacture. I have a 71 Nishijin that is in outstanding condition and plays beautifully and will continue to do so as long as I take decent care of it. With a modern, if something goes wrong electronically with the machine, it is essentially a paper weight. By the time a machine hits the US market, it has long since been discontinued and sourcing parts for it becomes very difficult.

My advice, get a machine YOU like with the theme you like, and play it and enjoy it until it dies. I love my Star Wars machine but I am well aware that my 71 Nishijin will most likely out live both my 2005 Star Wars and my 1980's Hanemono early modern.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by p.opus View Post

My advice, get a machine YOU like with the theme you like, and play it and enjoy it until it dies. I love my Star Wars machine but I am well aware that my 71 Nishijin will most likely out live both my 2005 Star Wars and my 1980's Hanemono early modern.
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you all for your replies.

I would love to go with the Fever Macross, because that is the one that I truly want. However, Frank at akimono.com is apologetic and says it will be a while because he is waiting for the appraisal and having problems with the bank. Five brothers has not gotten back to me from my inquiry as of yet. So I am suspecting that I will be waiting a while, x months for a Fever Macross to become available, and when it does, I don't know how much it will cost.

To clarify, I am not thinking of the pachinko as an investment. In the bay area, there is glut of vintage pachinkos, with prices ranging from $100 to $250 for those in decent condition. And a dearth of modern machines. There was a Fever Star Wars in Fresno (4 hours away) for $360 and I tried in vain to contact that seller repeatedly, but no return calls, text messages, or emails. I consider myself very lucky to score the Docker weeks ago for $60. Its fun, but its nothing compared to what is currently selling on akimono or five brothers.

So with the scarcity, I thought that the Superman would have greater appeal. Pachinko experts like yourselves know the rarity and value of game play. However, should I grow tired of the game, some overpaid Google employee in Mountain View who wants to bling out his man-cave will recognize the Superman name before Sea Stories.

So while I was waiting for Fever Macross, I thought to buy a pachinko that could hold me over in the mean time. If there was a Cowboy Beebop, or Ghost In The Shell pachinko, I would be interested in those, but I imagine the cost to be astronomical. Call me a penny pinching tight-wad, but the Superman seemed to have a lot for the money. Maybe gameplay blows, I don't know. That's why I asked, and am grateful for, your opinions.

So please do continue the discussion, I am learning more from you experts.

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to heima

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by p.opus View Post
    By the time it is available in the US the machine is at least 3 to 4 years old.
    I'm lucky then, the majority of my pachinkos were between 1 and 18 months old when I got them

I bought Star Wars around June 2006, the market was flooded with them here, we had a UK based importer that imported by the container load and also an importer that 'personally imported' on a 'machine by machine' basis.
    (Sadly we have no importers here now)

I believe it was a similar situation in the USA, our members were getting machines pretty quickly through Sir Arby etc

ahhh those were the days

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

buying back then, most of my machines averaged out around $125.00 each with 500 tokens or balls including shipping

I spent the most on Cutie Honey close to $200.00 shipped
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I hate to make life more complicated but there actually is a Ghost in the Shell pachinko

New Pachinkos for August '12!! (Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex)
    Ian #UKPachinko

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by heima View Post
    Perhaps you can help me out.
    I've got a little bit of the bug. So I would like another pachinko machine.
    I would really love a Fever Macross, but it seems like they are hard to come by at the moment.
    So, I am thinking of something else to put the desires at bay.
    I am deciding between two pachinkos, Superman Returns or Macross Frontier.

Why Superman Returns? This one seems to have a lot of gimmicks, (dual screen, slot reels, etc) and the game play looks ok. I think that if in the future I need to sell the pachinko, a theme like Superman would have a greater appeal to a larger buying pool, than something more specific that would be the target of collectors. Average Joe has heard of superman, he doesn't know who Julie is.

Why Macross Frontier? This one has the V Trigger frame, and if it turns out I can only get a Fever Macross as a cell, then it will fit, the frame might be a different color, but the cell will fit. I can't tell the quality of the game play for Macross Frontier, but you experts can school me on that.

I am certain that someone will say, Get the Evangelion 6, its good and has the V Trigger frame! But the frame is so specialized for Evangelion, it would probably look out of place for Fever Macross.

Well experts, what are your opinions?

Thank you
    Check out a Matrix Pachinko, You will LOVE it!
    PACHINKO, THE #1 DRUG!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    I hate to make life more complicated but there actually is a Ghost in the Shell pachinko

New Pachinkos for August '12!! (Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex)
    Oh My God! It has spinning Laughing Man animatronic! Life just got more complicated! I am so hosed!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is money any object to you?
    There is always another machine around the corner...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
    Is money any object to you?
    Depends on how much money, and then if I will object.

Though I wish it would, I know it won't come cheap.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had a Fever Macross Frontier in my Evangelion 6 Frame... then my Ranma 1/2 showed up in a V-Trigger Fever Macross frame, so I stuck the Macross Frontier in the Fever Macross, and the Ranma in the Eva 6. Actually looks a little better...
    Woof!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Chumsize View Post
    I had a Fever Macross Frontier in my Evangelion 6 Frame... then my Ranma 1/2 showed up in a V-Trigger Fever Macross frame, so I stuck the Macross Frontier in the Fever Macross, and the Ranma in the Eva 6. Actually looks a little better...
    Gender changing giant robots
    Ian #UKPachinko

23. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Though I wish it would, I know it won't come cheap.
    With that in mind, I would cut straight to the chase and contact Juno.
    Get him to order one from Yahoo JP for you.
    Then pack and ship it (separately, frame/cell).

And eat the charges...
    There is always another machine around the corner...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wouldn't you know it!? Five brothers gets Fever Macross as a pre-order! YEAH! But I can't pre-order it. WTF? Clicking checkout does nothing.
    How frustrating! Yes, I left them email. Hopefully they can get it straightened out.