Thread: Heiwa Garage Sale Find, Wiring question..

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Heiwa Garage Sale Find, Wiring question..

​Howdy All,

I've been lurking in the forums for just a short while now, but I may have already caught the pachinko bug.. On a whim, I ran out to a garage sale this morning that had a pachinko machine listed and walked away with what I'm guessing is an early 90's Heiwa machine. The guy said he had picked it up hoping to get it running, but never got around to it and just left it in a shed.

IMAG0156.jpg

It came with what I believe to be a grand total of 9 balls, and no power cord, but for $10 I figured I would take a chance since I really liked the look of the machine. Once I got it home, I cleaned it up a bit since it definitely looked as though it had lived in a shed. I had to clear out 5 or 6 spider egg sacs, and what I can only assume was one very annoyed spider that crawled out of the shooter tray as I was wiping it down. I didn't mention the spider eggs or live spider to the wife...

Here's where I get a little concerned. There is a transformer in the bottom right of the machine which says 117v on one side, and 24v on the other. See the photos below.. There are two red wires coming from the 24v side that are wired to nothing, and two black wires coming from the 117v side that are shoddily attached to a cord labeled 24v and run to a box in the upper right hand corner. If you look at the photo of the box that the wires run to, the 24v cord runs to the 4 pin connector in the bottom right. Counting from the top, the cord is connected to the first and fourth positions, the second wire is grounded to the frame, and the third position has a green wire that was cut pretty close to the connector but I could pretty easily repair it.. Any ideas about where that wire should go?

IMAG0149.jpg IMAG0150.jpg IMAG0151.jpg

So, I'm guessing that this is wired up backwards right? I should run a standard wall cord to those two black wires, and connect the 24v cord to those two red wires instead. I sure hope someone didn't try to run 120v through that transformer backwards, but I would hope that would only fry the transformer and not the machine itself. The fuses look fine at least.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

I'll post a few other miscellaneous pictures below of the entire back of the machine, etc..
    IMAG0148.jpgIMAG0152.jpgIMAG0154.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to NeonBlack

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Heiwa Garage Sale Find, Wiring question..

Whelp,

That went... poorly. My common sense told me that it was indeed wired up backwards, so I cut/re-stripped/neatly re-connected the wires in the correct orientation. When I plugged it in... out came the magic smoke. The component just to the right of the switch shorted out and arced to the body of the switch itself. I unplugged it as fast as I could obviously, but the damage was already done. That particular component on the board isn't an easy one to source, so the short was fatal to the machine.

I guess someone did in fact plug the darn thing in backwards and toast something major long before I got it. Oh well, not a huge loss I suppose. I ended up getting 11 pachinko balls and learning a good lesson about buying modern machines at a garage sale... It's a darn shame though, it was such an interesting looking one.

The search continues!!! Next time I'll only risk it on a vintage machine that I know I'll be able to get working again, or get a modern machine from a reputable retailer so that I know the darn thing works.

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to NeonBlack

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome Aboard

That there be a Heiwa レモン牌 (or as Google translates it Lemon Tiles) mahjong style theme, I think from 1996

€ƒ‘ƒƒ‚‹•”€‘€‡ƒ‘ƒƒ‚€‘ƒƒƒ‰Œˆ 平’Œ‰ - YouTube

here the wiki page for it

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%AC%E3%83%A2%E3%83%B3%E7%89%8C&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%25E3%2583%25AC%25E3%2583%25A2%25E3%2583%25B3%2 5E7%2589%258C%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DJsD%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official] Here

As for the rest. A quick word of warning, The B1F board on these sometimes goes bad,

Don't give up on it just yet.

If you can source a new switch unit for a scrapped machine or replace the part. It might be a AC/DC rectifer. If so, those are easy to source, but might be a different shape. Best get some good quality pictures of it, Remove the board and inspect the circuit board traces as well.

Someone else might be able to give you more advice later. Or someone might be able to provide a picture of a complete one so as to get a part number to cross reference against.

Last edited by Drunkenclam; 07-06-2013 at 02:29 PM.
    Ian #UKPachinko

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow.. Thanks for the link! I had no inkling that it had a mahjong theme. That would have been a huge surprise if it had actually turned on..

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Heiwa Garage Sale Find, Wiring question..

Hi there

Sorry to hear your pachinko is poorly

And sorry that I can't offer any advice on whether anything can be salvaged at all.

Hopefully other members may be able to offer advice, it would be a shame if this one is beyond help

In the meantime, I'd like to Welcome you to PachiTalk!! If you've been lurking a little while then you'll know that we are a friendly helpful group and hopefully it won't be long before you get yourself another pachinko

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

9. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Opps I goofed the hyperlink

Google Translate
    Ian #UKPachinko

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by hanabi View Post

Sorry to hear your pachinko is poorly

it would be a shame if this one is beyond help

Nothing is beyond help, That is if money is not an issue

Ian #UKPachinko

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks! I appreciate the welcome! I do think that this one may be toast, but the fact that it was wired up backwards almost makes me feel better since I can tell myself that it wasn't my fault. It most certainly won't be too long before I get myself another! I've got my eye on an X-Files machine (and hey, I've got a new house and a game room to decorate after all)... I'll keep my eye out for things on Craigslist as well and keep my fingers crossed!

15. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to NeonBlack

Thanks
    Thanks Received

sorry to hear about your Majic smoke.. hate that stuff

but of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

17. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You can take comfort that if someone hooked up 110v to the unit prior to you, the damage was already done. People who are not familiar with Pachinko machines fail to understand that all modern machines are wired for 24VAC. There is a reason there is a huge transformer in the back.

Going with a vintage is a good bet for your first pachinko. They don't require any power and even if you want to get the lights working, you can do so with some flashlight lamps and a 9V battery.

Early moderns are usually based on vintage mechanics with the autoshooter installed and some mechanics that work off electronics. The actual functioning of the machine, including the payout mechanism is still identical to a vintage. So if you know your way around a vintage, it can help you troubleshoot most aspects of an early modern as well.

Current moderns are more electronics than machine with their LCD screens, payout computers, etc. etc. My Star Wars machine actually uses a payout motor which spits the number of balls depending on what hole it does down.

Your best bet for an early modern or modern is to have the person selling it power it on. If it lights up and everything looks like it's powered on, then you have a good shot at getting it to work. However, the seller plugs it in and it stays dead...well, move along.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

19. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to p.opus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When ever I get a machine arrive from Japan, I always get that nervous welling when I pull it in, Especially as most have been off for so long, their memory has reset.

But when I plug it in, turn it on and nothing goes bang, I always do the following tests in this order, Some you can do whilst viewing a machine if you want to buy it. (highly recommended)

1) Does the shooter - shoot

2) Pop open the glass (some machines have a door open alarm) Drop a ball into the start pocket. Does it

A) Payout.
    B) Does the screen respond, ie the reels start spinning,
    C) Is there any noise,
    D) On a hanemono, when dropped in the 1 or 2 pocket, Do the wings open.

3) Check all the other pockets to ensure payout on each one.

Now on to the gambling and chance, These take longer, fine when at home but might not be able to do when viewing.
    Drop some balls through the subroulette sensor, Some machines have one, some have two.

4) Do the leds for subroulette flash, (some of these leds are really hard to see) When it gets a win, does the tulip open. It might be easier to check this during a fever.

Keep dropping balls into the start pocket till you get a fever, This also give you the chance to make sure the machine keeps paying out and the front trays fill up ok, and that the bottom full tray sensor is working, Will need about a 1000 balls for this. WHen it hits fever,

5) Does the trapdoor open?

Drop 10 or so balls into the trapdoor, Does it

E) payout,
    F) Close and reopen, and the screen moves on to the next round

If thats all fine, then thats pretty much 100% functioning,
    If not then, either walk away, or get your tools out,

its all logical fault finding,
    If one pocket pays out but another doesn't, you know the payout motor is fine, so its either a duff sensor or duff wiring,

As for this machine, I would hate for something to be scrapped, for what might be a $1 component and a couple of minutes with a soldering iron.
    Ian #UKPachinko

21. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Believe me, I hate having to scrap something like that more than most! I'm relatively handy with a soldering iron, and have a box full of salvaged components of all sorts. If it was a simple capacitor or even a common chip of some sort, it would have been trivial to replace, especially since it was all through hole stuff. The piece that I saw go pop is labeled YEC YD-9410, and is located just to the right of the power switch. It _almost_ looks like some sort of row resistor or something, but isn't labeled as such with the proper codes to tell me the resistor values.

I also did some serious searching through all the usual sources for parts, digikey, mouser, etc. and came up empty. The best I could do was come up with this link: YD-9410 - YEC - 9SIP - Jotrin Electronics Limited.

Unfortunately, that doesn't even do me much good since it looks to me like it might be an automatically generated one tailored to my search terms. Even if it isn't, most companies based in China like that don't want to deal with individuals interested in one or two parts at a time. I might be able to scam a sample from them if I give them a business address and make it sound legit, but that can be hit or miss. I still don't know if I believe they even have it, especially since the link to the datasheet doesn't work. That's the irritating part, I don't even know what the darn part is and I can't find any solid reference to it anywhere.. Who knows though, even if I were to get that piece fixed the next one in line might have been fried too.

Oh well! Lesson learned, and at it least it was a relatively cheap one.

Drunkenclam, thanks for the test outline. That looks pretty thorough! That would certainly let you figure out what is or is not working on a new machine.

23. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to NeonBlack

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Tell you what. if you can post here, or provide a hyperlink or email me a high resolution picture of the part and any numbers on it, that would be great.
    I will see if I can find a suitible replacement. or hope that someone like Daverob reads this, he is by far more knowledgable than me on components.
    Ian #UKPachinko

25. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There's really no point in putting forth any effort on this machine I don't think, but I appreciate the offer. I will add a photo though just for documentation purposes, and I would be interested to find out if someone knows what the darn piece is, since I'm stumped.

Below is about as good as I can do at the moment, since I'm not near the machine. It is the circled component.. It had 9 pins underneath, unevenly spaced with 5 on one end and 4 on the other. The right had side is branded with YEC in big letters, and then below that in smaller text, YD-9410. It almost looks like several separate components wrapped together or something..

I'm always interested to learning more, and I hope at least that documenting what goes wrong when someone runs 120v through the 24v side of the transformer and straight on through to the machine might serve someone else well in the future. The more I looked at it, my guess was that whoever was responsible was color matching the cords and not using their brain. The wires on the 24v side were red, but the 117v side were black and matched the cord leading to the guts of the machine. (I really wish I had noticed this before I picked it up though!!) I've already planned to either give this away to someone with more time and patience, or perhaps tear it down to component parts myself that I can use in other projects. Leaving it sitting around is just going to make me grumpy about wasting $10! It's a shame though! When I pulled that board off by the way, it turned out that the clipped green wire was another ground that was probably wired up the the original parlor's wiring system.

Screen Shot 2013-07-07 at 10.45.16 AM.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

ouch!!! kind of looks like the last pan of lasagna I left in the oven to long
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

28. The following user says "Thanks" to p.opus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBlack View Post
    I would be interested to find out if someone knows what the darn piece is, since I'm stumped.
    Back when I was working in the TV repair trade, something like this was usually known as a 'hybrid'. It's a module made from surface mount components assembled on a ceramic substrate PCB and then dip coated. Often would be either for high frequency RF circuits, or power modules (DC-DC converters).

With the age of the machine and the possibility that the hybrid module was probably made to order for the pachinko machine manufacturer, it's quite unlikely you'll find any data for it on the internet. The most you can really do with something like this is to trace out the connections, and then take measurements from a working one (if you can find another machine that has one!) to reverse engineer it.

With a bit more information about the circuit board it lives in (photo's both sides please ) it might be possible to make some educated guesses as to what it's doing, and whether there's some modern equivalent circuit that might work in it's place.

Also remember that if the transformer is/was wired backwards, then instead of converting 120v down to 24v at a 5:1 ratio, it would convert the 120v up to 600v at a 1:5 ratio, so the damage is likely to be worse than if the machine was connected directly to 120v without a transformer.

When faced with unknown or suspect transformers, I remove it from the circuit and connect one side up to a known low AC voltage, then connect an AC voltmeter to the other terminals of the transformer. Then I can be sure which connections are the primary and which are the secondary(s) from the voltage ratios.

30. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Parts are still worth money on eBay, if you can be bothered.

People with similar machines will always be looking for guards, trays, handles, plastics, metal parts and more.

Someone may even want your cell - as this one was swappable with a few other Heiwa cells in that frame (I used to own the same frame that would take your cell in fact, and I know at least 3 other cells that fit it).

Parting out is rare - and therefore, well worth doing for $$.
    There is always another machine around the corner...

32. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to candyflip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

daverob, thanks for the info on the transformer. I knew that it would step up 24v to 117v if it were fed backwards, but I had no real idea what would happen if 120v had been run through the 24v side.. 600v? Yikes.

It definitely looked like the wires on the 24v side had been twisted to _something_ before I got at it and wired it correctly, so I'm betting this was the case. That's probably a good enough reason to not put a ton of effort into trying to get around the toasted component. I'm sure that something else down the line got fried as well, and trying to isolate and replace each and every vaporized piece seems that it would quickly become a chore (if I could even find the proper replacements that is).

I kind of wondered if it was a custom piece, given how odd it looked. I did pull the board off and look at the traces right after it happened and it looked like it ran to power, the 24v relay, various traces to all of the multi-pin connectors, etc.. I'm guessing there was a transistor of some sort hidden in there, but who knows what else.

As you suggest candyflip, I think this machine is destined to be broken down for parts I suppose... It's organs shall be harvested and used to bring others back from the dead!