Thread: Installing Gaku Counter sensors on a Lumina Frame Star Wars

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Installing Gaku Counter sensors on a Lumina Frame (Star Wars)

I know Musky has included some pictures in his Gaku Counter kits for a Lumina frame., but I had been requested to put a little more detail on how I installed the Gaku Counter on my Star Wars (Lumina Frame).

Some people prefer to use hot glue or screws to permanently mount the sensor. On several of my machine's I've used Velcro, but while able to be easily placed and adjusted, sometime velcro has too much give and the sensor can shift.

I prefer two sided tape. You don't need the really heavy stuff that is rated for 10 plus pounds. I just got the low grade 2 lb rating since the sensor weighs less than an ounce. It securely fastens the sensor but has the ability to be removed later with no damage to the surrounding machine.

The first sensor we will place is the shot sensor. It should be placed just forward of the ball hammer and just above the ball track as illustrated below.
    IMAG0308.jpg

Use shrink tubing or electrical tape to group the wires together and route them to the back of the machine. Be sure to keep the wire bundle free of the ball hammer.

The Win Sensor is placed underneath the payout module/motor. On my Star Wars, the payout is 3,5,10, or 15. This payout is controlled by the payout computer unlike a vintage or early modern that uses a pre-sized tray. We are going to set the DIP switches on the Gaku Counter to their default value so that each sensor hit represents 1 ball. (By comparision, my other two machines have a 15 ball pay tray so I count each "win" ball equal to 15 on the DIP Switches)

On the back of your Lumina frame there is a green cover on the right hand side (from the back) shown below:
    IMAG0302.jpg

Lift this cover to reveal the payout module/motor. It is a clear plastic box with a wire connector in the back. See Below.
    IMAG0303.jpg

You can actually unhook the wiring and slide this module out by moving it to the right as is illustrated on the motor. On the bottom of this motor is where the payout balls drop. You have two options for the sensor. You can either try to place it on one of the "walls" underneath the payout motor, or you can attach the sensor directly to the payout motor. I did the latter. I actually removed the motor, put 3 balls in the bottom exit hole of the motor and held the sensor in place while I tipped it over until I could accurately count three balls on the counter. This would simulate balls passing quickly through the motor. I then marked where the sensor needed to be and reinstalled the motor in the machine and taped the sensor to the bottom of it. See below. (The only downside to this is the payout motor can't be removed again until you remove the sensor because part of the housing is in the way. I don't plan on removing the payout motor, and should I need to, the sensor can be easily removed if necessary). If you plan on removing the payout motor frequently, you may want to tape the sensor to the housing but that might be trickier since the sensor will be off to the side of the hole.

IMAG0304.jpg

You will notice in the picture above, some electrical tape. This was placed there because the "green cover" you lifted to begin the process actually prevents balls from the payout motor from dropping out the back of the machine. With the sensor in place, you will no longer be able to fully close the green cover. I put tape below the sensor to prevent errant balls from exiting the back. The balls drop straight out the payout motor so there is little chance of a ball dropping out of the chute, but I put the tape there just to serve as a very simple barrier.

Well, that's it. I hope this was helpful. If you have a Gaku Counter, you know it's a great way to keep track of your balls won during a fever or your net winnings.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to p.opus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Installing Gaku Counter sensors on a Lumina Frame (Star Wars)

Just a correction.

I was wrong about not being able to remove the payout module once the sensor is attached. I had an issue last night that required me to remove the payout motor and the low jackpot switch for troubleshooting and I was able to do so without removing the sensor, so for me attaching it to the bottom of the payout motor is definitely preferred as it is easier to to get to and you can easily test functionality by placing a couple of balls in the exit hole on the bottom and tipping the assembly over. This way you know you have proper placement before reassembly.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to p.opus