Thread: Need help again playfield replacement...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Need help again playfield replacement...

Hey guys...still working on my first playfield replacement and trying to learn from my mistakes as I go along. I made a frame to beat the old playfield away from its frame and low and behold off came the spacer frame also...I pried this off of the playfield and set the 4 pieces aside so that I can reattach them later. Now with just the playfield I need to remove all of the twisted nails in it so that I can sand the playfield and reattach with screws...these twisted nails are a pain to say the least. I tried beating them from the backside back through so that they could be pulled out but sounded better than it is working. Also I am afraid it might splinter or crack the playfield in the process. Is there any easier way to remove the nails or should I just use my dremel and cut them off flush and add screws adjacent to them after replacing the artwork? This has been a pretty daunting task to say the least. I like to unbolt and unscrew things or desolder things better than all of this staple, nail pulling for sure.

Thanks for the input,

Arlyn
    Biohazard
    Enter the Matrix, Star Wars, Eva 6, Gladiator Evolution, Spiderman 3, Superman Returns, Planet of the Apes, The Mask, Indiana Jones.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Need help again playfield replacement...

Use a normal hammer and pound them down from the front of the playfield. Don't use the hammer to try to pry them out from the back. Go buy a wonder bar. Amazon.com: Stanley 55-515 12-inch Wonderbar Pry Bar: Home Improvement (or a prybar of similar size) It is easier to exert force on a pry bar than a hammer. They are tough going but you can get them all out. Just note that the plywood might delaminate in places so once you have all the nails out just glue it back together.

100 machines and counting...

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Its not the cheapest solution but I like to do things the easiest way possible...I am getting like that in my old age .

What do you think about pounding the nails out from the playfield enough to use this tool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjMXHPSLIEY
    Biohazard
    Enter the Matrix, Star Wars, Eva 6, Gladiator Evolution, Spiderman 3, Superman Returns, Planet of the Apes, The Mask, Indiana Jones.

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to awassig

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by awassig View Post
    Its not the cheapest solution but I like to do things the easiest way possible...I am getting like that in my old age .

What do you think about pounding the nails out from the playfield enough to use this tool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjMXHPSLIEY
    It would work but you would need a really nice drill with a lot of torque. As those posi-drive nails ain't easy to get out.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I remember dealing with those nails on a Powerflash resto. Every machine I've done since then used wood screws. Those nails do suck but I pried off the playfield from its frame with nails intact. Then I just hammered them back through and pulled them out with a hammer claw. It would be just as easy to dremel them off flush, drill new pilot holes adjacent to the old nails and then wood screw it all back together.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I Didn't have the option to dremmel, so I had to pry them out. Suprisingly for me, the backfield separation from the frame was fairly easy. I did baby steps all the way around the frame with a pry bar. For me, staples were much more maddening.

Believe it or not...Reassembly is much easier, although replacing the nails is a bit tedious.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    Use a normal hammer and pound them down from the front of the playfield. Don't use the hammer to try to pry them out from the back. Go buy a wonder bar. Amazon.com: Stanley 55-515 12-inch Wonderbar Pry Bar: Home Improvement (or a prybar of similar size) It is easier to exert force on a pry bar than a hammer. They are tough going but you can get them all out. Just note that the plywood might delaminate in places so once you have all the nails out just glue it back together.
    I do the same but to keep the plywood from delaminate I put a small clamp on the plywood next to the nail before prying them out, it's slower but less damage
    Unless you try to be more than you are, what you are is all you will ever be.
    http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/

10. The following user says "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by cardwwi View Post
    I do the same but to keep the plywood from delaminate I put a small clamp on the plywood next to the nail before prying them out, it's slower but less damage

Good idea. Though on some machines I have it is impossible to get those nails out without removing a layer or two of ply even with the clamp. Mainly because they were left outside or something so the elements got to it.

Though I will keep that idea in mind.