Thread: Whats a good way to clean yellow cigaratte stain off white cabinet plastic parts

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Whats a good way to clean yellow cigaratte stain off white cabinet plastic parts

So thanks to a fellow PaciTalk Member, I'll be getting a Tom & Jerry Pachinko Machine in July. From the pics and videos that he sent me, the machine looks and plays great. The only issue (which really isn't a big deal) is that some of the white plastics on the cabinet door has yellowed a bit due to heavy parlor cigarette smoke.

I was curious if anyone knows of a sure fire method to brighting up the white plastics back to it former glory? Any good cleaner products?

Screen shot 2013-06-25 at 11.34.46 AM.jpgScreen shot 2013-06-25 at 11.34.29 AM.jpg
    WANTED LIST: Tom & Jerry Pachinko (2010). Blood+ Pachislo (2010). Woody Woodpecker Pachinko (2004). Indiana Jones Pachiko or Pachislo (2006). Ghostbusters Pachinko. Popeye Pachiko (2004). Takumi Way Pachinko (2008).

2. The following user says "Thanks" to The Rube

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If the plastics are of the type known as ABS and they probably are, the yellowing is a result of exposure to UV light. You also see the same thing happen to old computer cases and home video game systems. The element bromine which is a darkish yellow/brown is added during manufacture as a fire retardant. UV light breaks the chemical bond and the bromine is "free" and darkens the plastic.
    No cleaner can remove it but the process can be reversed. Search on here for retr0bright and on the web.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looking at your machine though it will require you to disassemble and remove the affected parts. Not sure if its worth it as they don't look that yellow.

RetroBright Plastic Restore on Arepachi
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

6. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Whats a good way to clean yellow cigaratte stain off white cabinet plastic p

Retrobright is great on UV related issues like emmadog mentioned, but if it's just a simple layer of nicotine I will get a small tub and soak the parts in hot water and some Formula 409. A few minutes and the gunk wipes right off. The stuff gets everywhere - on my Gatchaman it was just as bad on the inside of the clear and gold chrome plastic parts as it was on the outside so the only option was to take apart the frame... guess it is just a matter of how much time you want to spend on it and how hard it may be to take it apart.
    Stu www.animemecha.com
    Pachinko: Yamato CR1, Dai Yamato 2, The Galaxy Railways, Evangelion 2, Gatchaman
    Pachislo: Gundam II, The Galaxy Railways, Evangelion 4

8. The following user says "Thanks" to StuTalon

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Whats a good way to clean yellow cigaratte stain off white cabinet plastic p

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube
    Your cell seems to be different than mine. Here's some photos of my cell.

003.jpg004.jpg006.jpg007.jpg
    What if...​the ​HOKEY POKEY, is what it's all about?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here's a bigger pic of the cell.

Screen shot 2013-06-25 at 7.56.21 PM.jpg

Looks like a lot of Jerrys/Nibbles on my Cell.

Now I need a wood cabinet to hang the Pachinko on the wall. Any suggestions?
    WANTED LIST: Tom & Jerry Pachinko (2010). Blood+ Pachislo (2010). Woody Woodpecker Pachinko (2004). Indiana Jones Pachiko or Pachislo (2006). Ghostbusters Pachinko. Popeye Pachiko (2004). Takumi Way Pachinko (2008).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

"Topol - the smoker's tooth polish" ???

Woof!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

oh man...

I just noticed that in the pics/videos that was sent to me that Tom's head is in a lowered postion. Now comparing online videos to the ones were sent to me (by the seller), it looks like there's no power to Tom's head. I sent an email to the seller, hoping that it's just something like a lose wire... If it is really damaged, I just hope that I'll be able to my down payment refunded... Just kinda pissed that I didn't notice that before I sent a down payment.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The seller...uh, that's me Rube! The times I've played Tom and Jerry I remember the head coming down and moving the mouth. It moves when it powers up. Also, the stains are not from me...just the luck of the parlor and the way I got it from Akimono. So, I have it all boxed up ready to sell now - look for it on Ebay!
    Rube, your money has been refunded.
    Joe

14. The following user says "Thanks" to jodini

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you Joe for the refund. I am sorry for the inconvenience. I'm sorry about having issues with Tom's head's. Once again thanks for understanding and giving me a refund.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, I pulled the Tom and Jerry back out of the box and Rube is right...that head goes down each time it powers up, but never goes back up. I really never noticed it till now, but didn't someone else mention this problem?

Joe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would recommend checking all the wiring harness. When one of our arcade machines break down, sometimes all I have to do is replug the wiring harnesses and reseeding the rom chips. Don't know if this would work on a pachinko machine but it's worth a shot.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by jodini View Post
    Well, I pulled the Tom and Jerry back out of the box and Rube is right...that head goes down each time it powers up, but never goes back up. I really never noticed it till now, but didn't someone else mention this problem?

Joe
    I wonder if this is a similar problem to that of the Star Wars Advent Vader machines, Quite a few of them had problems with the mask not lowering or raising or juddering?

I think they were susceptible to being knocked in postage / transit, I'm sure there was a thread about someone repairing one, think it may be gears or cogs that slipped, if I remember correctly?

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

19. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hanabi is right. The motor works (you can hear it go when it powers up), but I see that their are two set screws on two gears that work the head. I think it should be an easy fix, but I would have to pull off the plastic cover off the back to get to it and I'm not going to start taking apart this machine. I'll just disclose it when I sell it on ebay.
    Joe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

sh!t, sorry Joe for the headache.

Quote Originally Posted by jodini View Post
    hanabi is right. The motor works (you can hear it go when it powers up), but I see that their are two set screws on two gears that work the head. I think it should be an easy fix, but I would have to pull off the plastic cover off the back to get to it and I'm not going to start taking apart this machine. I'll just disclose it when I sell it on ebay.
    Joe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's no problem...would rather find out it has a problem, rather than sell it to an unhappy owner.
    Joe

23. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to jodini