Thread: Jackpot Allwin

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Jackpot Allwin

I recently picked up this Allwin machine with almost 100 of the large English pennies. It's a neat design because in the center of the play field there's a column that holds 12 pennies, the amount of the big jackpot, which spins around when you collect your winnings, giving the illusion that the pennies are being dumped from there, but actually they're not. All of the holes pay out 2 coins except the center one which pays out 12, a really good payout back in the day.

It works and is in fair condition, nothing that can't be repaired. The top Jackpot marquee needs some touching up or could easily be replaced with a new one as it's a pretty simple design to replicate. The only real problem area is the coin slide. Even though it does work the top area of the slide is supposed to have a sloped ramp for excess coins to slide into the coin box and an extension tube on top of the slide to store a column of coins for successive jackpot payouts. The top ramp which allows the center jackpot ball to go down the correct chute is also missing but that's an easy fix with a piece of sheet metal.

I've found some information on the Internet for this particular machine although not what I require so the following would most likely be directed to the English members here as these machines are not as plentiful or popular over here:

I'm pretty sure it's not a Bryans and could possibly be an Oliver Whales & Company, but is most likely from one of the smaller British manufacturers.

The identity of the manufacturer, better photos of the coin slide area and if there are any parts available in the U.K. from stripped machines would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0012.jpgIMG_0014.jpgIMG_0015.jpgIMG_0017.jpgIMG_0020.jpgIMG_0021.jpgIMG_0023.jpgIMG_0024.jpg

I've also got a Bryans Four-Square Clock Tower with the red and black crackle paint finish. Instead of four clocks there are two Elevenses and two either Clock 6-Win or Clock 12-Win. The bottom stand had gotten wet at the previous owner's place and the legs are rotten. The top cabinet needs refinishing as well but it looks like it's made of plywood, which the crackle paint hides, so I was wondering if it would be a good idea to split up the units and make individual cabinets for each one, Any input is appreciated.

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to whitedawg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Jackpot Allwin

spliting them would probably get ya more money if your selling them... thouse 4 place units look huge...

but if i had the space i would love to have a 4SQ unit...

hard to say for sure
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The Four-Squares are huge, about the same size as a video game cabinet except they need access from all sides. I wouldn't mind having one with four different games, as they were intended to have, but finding them over here is difficult. The Clock Tower is supposed to have four clock games but the games all had the same basic framework so they were interchanged by the operators to give more variety of game play and no doubt generate more revenue, also there is a metal Clock Tower casting above each game on each of the four sides, which doesn't quite go with the two Elevenses.

The cabinets are another problem with the crackle paint. Since they appear to be plywood it would be difficult to finish them after they're stripped so they would look decent. I've seen an Elevenses that had a new cabinet made of Oak and it looked awesome. I was wondering if it would affect the value of them to separate the units and build individual cabinets for each one. If not that's probably the route I'll go and keep an Elevenses and a Clock Tower for myself then sell the other two.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice allwin style, I'm not sure who made that particular model either

I did find a video on youtube and reading the comments it does appear that the manufacturer is debatable, I'm guessing there are no labels or stickers still there. Another prolific manufacturer of Allwin styles was Wondermatics (Bradmatics) but the case on yours and the strip trim along the bottom don't look to be Wondermatics, so could be a small lesser known company?

JACKPOT - Allwin 1960s . - YouTube

I used to know a guy that owned and operated a 'hands on' Penny Museum further up the coast from me, sadly he closed it down and sold the building,
    but I used to go there with my children and play the machines, shame it's not there now as i could have asked advice for you

Regarding the 4 square, I would imagine they are rare to find intact, I believe Jeff has one (JACKSJE4) and i remember playing one as a child and I do believe they used to switch out the games for maintenance and variety

Allwins tend to command high prices here and I haven't yet added one to my collection, but i don't have much space left for one either

Here's a link to Penny Machines website, although I can't see any pics of Jackpot there:

PennyMachines.co.uk
    Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

7. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the info Angie. There are no identifying marks on it anywhere and I've looked at a lot of Allwins on the Internet but haven't found anything similar. I was trying to identify it by the bottom trim area, as the various manufacturers seemed to be consistent with that area of their games, but to no avail.

This is another site with lots of information on Bryans and other old games:

Welcome to Melvyn Wright's Web Sites

If I'm right and thinking of the right thread the one Jeff picked up was an Oliver Whales & Company, a very nice Four-Square

I'll keep looking and if you find any other resources, a source for parts or other contacts I'd most certainly appreciate it. The U.K should be the best source for info on Allwins.

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to whitedawg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hi whitedawg
    Oliver Whales did make a allwin called JACKPOT
    scottie
    SCOTTIE

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to scottie banks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by scottie banks View Post
    hi whitedawg
    Oliver Whales did make a allwin called JACKPOT
    scottie
    Thanks scottie banks:

I found another one on the Internet with the identical trim around the ball shooter and payout area but no manufacturer's name. At first I thought it was an Oliver Whales & Company machine but the styling doesn't seem right. I'd like to get a contact in the U.K. that specializes in and possibly would have some parts for Allwins.

Here's a photo of the other machine:

2866_130219-024922.jpg

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to whitedawg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i looked up JACKPOT in paul braithwaite's book and it did list a allwin called jackpot made by oliver whales,but thats not to say another company didnt made one with the same name
    scottie
    SCOTTIE

15. The following user says "Thanks" to scottie banks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Okay I did a little looking around and I found a link referring to a Jackpot machine similar to yours being discussed over at Penny Machines Forum:

FORUM<br />View topic - Philip Shefras? allwins

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i looked up JACKPOT in paul braithwaite's book and it did list a allwin called jackpot made by oliver whales,but thats not to say another company didnt made one with the same name
    scottie
    Thanks scottie, any information at all is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hanabi View Post

Okay I did a little looking around and I found a link referring to a Jackpot machine similar to yours being discussed over at Penny Machines Forum:

FORUM<br />View topic - Philip Shefras? allwins

Awesome Angie. There are other machines on there with the same style ball shooter and payout area back plate as well as the name of the game in the marquee. Obviously there were several different machines made by the same manufacturer and there is mention of a couple of different companies that may have made them. This along with some different game names will definitely help in the search of more information on this particular type of Allwin. Great find, thanks again.

19. The following user says "Thanks" to whitedawg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by whitedawg View Post
    If I'm right and thinking of the right thread the one Jeff picked up was an Oliver Whales & Company, a very nice Four-Square
    The Four Square machine I own is a Bryans model with the crackle finish and castle top. It has a Pilwin, a Ten Cup and two Fivewins panels. I am missing the Elevenses panel. Do you by chance know what serial number your Elevenses are stamped with? If one is #136, then we need to make a deal.

There are pictures of Four Square in my album: http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/memb...nrestored.html
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

21. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JACKSJE4 View Post
    The Four Square machine I own is a Bryans model with the crackle finish and castle top. It has a Pilwin, a Ten Cup and two Fivewins panels. I am missing the Elevenses panel. Do you by chance know what serial number your Elevenses are stamped with? If one is #136, then we need to make a deal.

There are pictures of Four Square in my album: http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/memb...nrestored.html
    Sorry Jeff, I read this thread some time ago and it somehow stuck in my brain cell that you had got it:

Whales Company Four Sided Allwin

My Four-Square as it turns out, after doing more research, is a Quadmatic (1961) which was a streamlined version of the Four-Square. The game panels are the same with just the top cabinet and bottom stand a little fancier than the Four-Square, making it much more difficult to repair or replicate, that's why I was considering replicating individual cabinets for the games and scrapping the large one.

Mine is buried behind a mountain of Pachinko and Pachislo machines at the moment but as soon as I dig it out I'll check the numbers and if one is numbered 136 then we indeed do need to make a deal.

23. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to whitedawg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hello again
    CHUBBS AUTOMATIC MANUFACTING (WEMBLEY) made a game called JACKPOT

FIRMAN AND CO (NOTTINGHAM) also made a game called JACKPOT

OK NOVELITY CO. (BIRMINGHAM) made a game called REVOLVING JACKPOT

and of corse OLIVER WHALES made one too

sorry no pictures
    scottie
    SCOTTIE

25. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to scottie banks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hello again
    CHUBBS AUTOMATIC MANUFACTING (WEMBLEY) made a game called JACKPOT

FIRMAN AND CO (NOTTINGHAM) also made a game called JACKPOT

OK NOVELITY CO. (BIRMINGHAM) made a game called REVOLVING JACKPOT

and of corse OLIVER WHALES made one too

sorry no pictures
    scottie

Thanks for the info Scottie. I'll do some searches, hopefully something will show up,