Thread: Need to replace a cell

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Need to replace a cell

Hey Guys,

I bought this machine a few days ago and have spent many hours cleaning it and touching up the paint that flaked off. The seller told me that someone set off a fire extinguisher in his storage unit, so cleaning that out of every crevice was a lot of fun.

I think he sprayed some WD-40 on the spinners to remove some rust that was there. It worked its way under the cell around the nails so I'm going to replace the cell. I'm nervous and excited to take this project on. Do you all know where I can find replacement cells? Do you have any tips before I begin?

nishijin-b.jpgnishijin-b-2.jpg

Thanks!

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to GoodToBeDad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Need to replace a cell

We are the Borg: Resistance is Futile. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own.

In all seriousness, once you do one, you will find it hard to stop. Best of all it's pretty easy.

Replacement Cells can be purchased from:
    Pachinko Planet, Antique and Vintage Pachinko Machines and Pachinko Restorations - Home Cost is between 40 to 50 dollars. Both places have a wide variety of available patterns and both carry high quality replacements.

One of our users has also designed some of his own; mxfaiman. If you contact him, he may show you some designs he has if he has any available.

Some tips:

1. Get the book "Pachinko Machine Restoration" from Amazon. Great book, modeled after a Nishijin Model "B". Full of pictures and information and helpful hints and equipment you will need. It is a kindle only publication, but Amazon has free kindle readers for almost any electronic device out there, so don't let that stop you.

2. Invest in ziploc bags. As you remove each component, put the fasteners in the bag, label and number the bag and put the component in the bag or tape it to the bag. This way, when you put the machine back together, you simply work backwards

3. As you number the bags, put the number on the playfield where the component goes so that you know where to put the component back on if possible.

4. Take pictures as you proceed. The pictures will help you during reassembly.

5. Take it slow, Take it easy, don't panic. It's a daunting task when you first start, and half way through you will wonder what you got yourself into, but plenty of us have already done it here and can help you back.

6. Have fun and enjoy the process. There's a great deal of satisfaction you get when you are done and the machine looks nearly factory new.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

4. The following user says "Thanks" to p.opus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Need to replace a cell

Thanks for the tips. They will all come in handy.

Pachinko Restorations has a reproduction of this exact background! I'm excited to get started.

Thanks!