Thread: 1973 Nishijin aoi-umi restore

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default 1973 Nishijin aoi-umi restore

Yeah, I know, it gets kinda boring to see all these restores I do. Clients are beating down my door to have them done, and I get to pick and choose. Well, I chose this one.

73 Nishijin AOI UMI Pachinko Machine: Fully restored - YouTube

I finally learned a little something about Nishijins though. The Shiroi Kamome models (White bird) are the droppers, also called model "B" by people here. But the recyclers (once they made autoloaders in 1970) are called aoi-umi machines, which means "deep blue sea". These are the so-called model "A" machines". Just an interesting tidbit to share with those interested in such minutia. (for the record, I live for minutia like that!).

Enjoy!

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 1973 Nishijin aoi-umi restore

I didn't know the "deep blue sea" was so...Yellow!!!

Great job, Sometime I'm going to have to get some spray paint and paint the metal parts in the back, but I guess I'm more concerned with the front and the fact that it is operational.

My back's never look that great. But I do enjoy playfield replacements.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Absolutely stunning!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    I finally learned a little something about Nishijins though. The Shiroi Kamome models (White bird) are the droppers, also called model "B" by people here. But the recyclers (once they made autoloaders in 1970) are called aoi-umi machines, which means "deep blue sea". These are the so-called model "A" machines". Just an interesting tidbit to share with those interested in such minutia. (for the record, I live for minutia like that!).

Enjoy!
    Sorta true there. Not all model A machines were the Aoi Umi model. It was only selected version of the 71 Kyoto and the 73 machine that got labeled aoi umi. The 71 Tokyo and other models of the 71 Kyoto didn't get the fancy name. It was first used on the 71 Kyoto for machines that had navy blue front plastics and black back plastics. Nishijin probably ended up liking the name so much that they decided to reuse it for the 73. Plus I'm pretty positive that if you check a 76 kan-less model A it will not have Aoi Umi on it. So therefore it wasn't a label applied to all model A machines just the fancier ones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

100 machines and counting...

6. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Beautiful work, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by p.opus View Post
    Great job, Sometime I'm going to have to get some spray paint and paint the metal parts in the back, but I guess I'm more concerned with the front and the fact that it is operational.
    What metal parts are you referring to? Were they originally painted? If not, I would just bead blast. Makes em purrrty! (without tearing them up.)
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The upper jackpot supply chute and the jackpot dump chute are made from tin as are some other parts. These have surface corrosion on them. I gave them a surface scrub to get off the easy surface corrosion, but they still don't "look good".

Typically I scrub off the surface rust so that it won't flake off, but no more than that.

I'm not usually worried about the back, since I am primarily concerned with getting it clean and functional. But when you look at the back of the machine, it doesn't look "restored" because the corrosion is still there.

I'm not sure what bead blasting is. I don't have a lot of resources since I am an apartment dweller, so I'm doing as much as I can given that I don't have a "work shop".

I guess I should be satisfied with what I have since the machine works and the front looks good.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I can relate. I'm more worried about everything working. But it's bugging you enough to want to paint them.

I was going take a piece off my Heiwa, shoot it, and post pics, but I can't find any tin pieces I can remove without a major nail removing project, and I got too many projects started as it is. If you have a test piece you want to send me, I'll shoot it and send it back. If you like the look, you can send your stuff to me, or find a shop in your area that will do it.

Rival, what do you do to your metal parts in a restoration?
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to browne92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm not sure what bead blasting is. I don't have a lot of resources since I am an apartment dweller, .
    bead blasting is the same as sand blasting.. the diff is that glass beads are used insted of sand, walnut or soda.. etc etc.etc...

they all fall under the tital of media blasting
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm not sure what bead blasting is. I don't have a lot of resources since I am an apartment dweller, so I'm doing as much as I can given that I don't have a "work shop".
    Here is a picture of one I got at Harbor freihgt for $55.DSCF7890.JPG I'm using a 5HP 20 gallon tank air compressor to run it. It is a bit much for blasting tin on pachinkos. I used it to bead blast the wheels on my truck. You can get a siphon feed one for as little as $25...but still need an air compressor to run it. Small parts are usually done in a cabinet that contains the glass beads. Not something you would use in an apartment!