Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Satomi Miracle "Space Wars" Arrange Ball

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by compirate View Post
    Isn't it a blast bringing these things back to life?
    Yes it is and IMO it's the best part about this whole hobby.
    Especially rare machines.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Finished painting the center feature for the most part. The top "atomic" symbol has extremely shallow grooves so I'll tackle that a bit later followed by a final polish with Novus.
    I considered retr0brighting this piece but colored plastics in my experience don't respond as well although there is some improvement. Mainly though, I didn't want to lose the chrome borders around the panted areas.
    Also decided to redo the cel but I'm having an art studio do it for me-couldn't bring myself to do the digital cleanup this time. I'm also exploring other options as far as what to print it on as opposed to the auto vinyl. Something closer to the original method/material possibly.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371750132.459818.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371750144.961197.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371750158.176807.jpg

4. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Satomi Miracle "Space Wars" Arrange Ball

That is going to be a beautiful machine. I love your attention to detail when refurbishing a machine.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is a really awesome machine! I'm amazed at the amount of work you put into it, and it's not even finished yet! I want to play one of these, but the going rate will prevent that, at least for the foreseeable future...

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Amedbery

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The cel is finished with the digital rendering and the studio provided me with a nice 8.5X11 proof along with a CD of the file. They did it in 4 days and granted it costs money but its that or me sitting in front of the computer for a month since I can only stand to do a small bit at a time. Anyway the file is now at the local print shop to hopefully be done next week. I had the white background done in an antique white but it was a little too dark so I lightened it a bit before sending to the printshop.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371848073.757199.jpg

10. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

will the holes be printed black or will the colors be filled in???
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You wouldn't see the holes anyway since they'll be cut out and covered by the various parts.
    However, the file that the went to the printshop had the "holes" filled in with the appropriate background color.

13. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

15. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's really a shame that there is no "real" market in these things. The amount of work you go through is mind bogling. For the labor I put into my two model A vintages, I "should" be able to sell each one for $500.00 easy, but the market is so thin, there's no way I would be able to get even my parts out of them. And there are so many machines out there in poor condition in the $0 to $150.00 range that most people can't tell the difference between one that has sat in a garage for three decades and one that has been lovingly restored.

When I saw James asking anywhere from $650.00 to over $1300.00 at Pachinko Planet, I thought he was off his rocker. Now that I've replaced the background on two machines, I get it. I wouldn't let any of mine go for under $300.00 and I haven't put NEAR the work that James and "company" do when they completely finish all of the frames and polish up all the plastics as well as replacing nearly every fastener and taking apart every mechanism. I do enough clean up on mine to 'get by' (Clean, polish pins, chrome, and background replacement). I don't repaint or do any of the other detail work that some others here do.

This is truly a labor of love.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

17. The following user says "Thanks" to p.opus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's the definition of a niche market and collectors in it know the vast majority of vintage machines can be had for next to nothing plus they're easy to fix. The amount of time it took me to prep,mask and liquid mask, airbrush various coats of paint, and then tediously remove the liquid mask is more time than it'll take to put the cel, nails, and playfield parts back together. And that's just that small name badge. There's still one more plus the large "Arrangeball" badge also on this piece and then there's also the upper marquee.
    Lots of fun though.

19. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cell replacement is pretty easy, but it is labor intensive. However I find it the biggest bang for your buck outside of pin polishing.

Any pachinko I get always gets cleaned up, chrome polished and the pins polished. I'm lazy and rarely do the neck of the pins, but always do the heads. This gives an instant reward with less than 30 minutes work.

The cell replacement is the second biggest bang for the buck. It's labor intensive enough to be truly satisfying, but not mind numbingly difficult, and can be done with some really basic tools and almost anywhere.

I'm basically too lazy to refinish the wood unless it's in awful shape. I hated wood shop. So if I can get away without re-staining or refinishing the wood, I'll try that. Also, I rarely refinish the metal on the back. I take the surface corrosion off, and make sure all the linkages operate smoothly, but other than that, I leave it as is.

I suck at painting and such, so I don't even go there if possible. When I got done with a paint job, it would look like someone with Palsy painted it.

I've seen some restoration shops try to sell "refurbished" machines with the original background on it for $400 to $600. That's a bit steep if you ask me. If I'm putting out that type of coin, I'd expect a new background.

mxfaiman, carlw, and yourself (to name a few) do extraordinary work. I can easily see your projects fetching four figure prices.
    Last edited by p.opus; 06-23-2013 at 10:35 PM.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

21. The following user says "Thanks" to p.opus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My problem if I were to do this for a business, is that the only machines I'm interested in are arrangeballs which are hard to find and after chroming frames, new cels and nails, shipping (esp. From Japan which is 350), and all the hours I put in- its just not worth it. Plus after all that work its hard to let them go and only a very few would be willing to pay what they're worth.
    of course what they're worth is what the market decides...
    Last edited by emmadog; 06-23-2013 at 11:34 PM.

23. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372210386.821813.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1372210399.467828.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1372210410.079591.jpg
    Sorta at a stand still until the cel gets printed but but here's a before and after of the ashtray.
    And a bag of new nails. Thanks Max.

25. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Marquee and pockets are still unfinished but they're on here just to get a feel for what it'll look like.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372305684.310630.jpg

27. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool!

29. The following user says "Thanks" to Amedbery

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

31. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So I have most of the rear components back on and soldered the various solenoids. The wiring harness is hooked up so I powered it on to do a function test. Everything checked out and then I remembered the 3 potentiometers I noticed during disassemble. One is on the sound circuit board that houses the speaker and the other 2 are on a smaller board which is pictured. The pot on the sound board controls the pitch of the "blast off" sound when a ball goes into the rocket pass-throughs. It seemed really difficult though to get a ball to land in the space ships when they're pulled outward. They're only in that position for a half second or less. That's where the other 2 pots come in. By turning them the length of time the ships stay open and be altered as well as the number of times the ships move back and forth per activation. They can move up to 12 times or will stay open for up to 10 seconds and every combo in between. For example, I have it set now so that for each ball in a pass thru, the ships open and close 3 times for about 1 second each time. That seems fair enough but I really won't know till I play but that's still a ways off. Lots of cosmetic work left to do.
    The pic shows the 2 pots below the white rectangle which is a relay switch.
    One is the white circle and ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372359337.680936.jpgthe other is a different type. It's metal with a small slot for a screwdriver and is just below and to the right of the other one.

33. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

All of the rear components are back on with the exception of the coin discriminator. That'll take a few hours on its own to sort out and clean. Luckily it's an entirely mechanical device.
    Everything is the same as factory which is what I always do wit the exception of using stainless safety wire and staples for the ball track anchors. I couldn't reuse the factory system even if I wanted to. I also fastened the wire loom with those white plastic loop things. The original were rubber coated staples.
    Also, every component's mounting hardware was thrown away and replaced with stainless wood screws. Looks much better but more importantly the heads wont strip anytime they need to be removed. Several machines ago I went this route as opposed to reusing the old hardware even if it was in good shape.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372384663.133525.jpg

35. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

And as far as I've gotten on the front.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372385189.049926.jpg

37. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A few cosmetic items completed and they're temporarily tacked on. The coin insert strip has been polished and repainted and the part surrounding the key insert is redone along with the plastic part that goes over the ball rebound on the upper right of the playfield. New chrome dots as well as an instruction sticker on the lower shooter window piece. New decals on both the pass thru pockets too. The score piece at the top still needs to be polished and I received a new chrome "Arrange Ball" decal and unfortunately its the wrong size but the shop did an incredible job otherwise. Another is on order so I put it in the pic just to show and since I don't need it, I left some parts of the letters on the backing paper. You can also see the dots along the frame from having to drill out all the chrome frame screws and they were then filled with epoxy. There's also a couple chips in the formica which have been filled in and will be painted. I searched extensively for the same Formica pattern but no luck.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372550083.223938.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1372550112.551224.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1372550125.838873.jpg

39. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast