Thread: Custom Sound Integration

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Custom Sound Integration

I know this has been discussed in different form in different threads, but mine is actually a different approach, just need someone with electrical experience and/or circuit experience to help me out with the final installation.

I'm not looking to REPLACE the sounds, I'm looking to "piggyback" the existing sounds, by having sound bytes play based on the trigger of certain lights lighting up on the reel glass (respin, big bonus, regular bonus, etc). I'm using those little sound board used for greeting cards (see example here: 120s Light Sense Record Device Voice Module Music Sound | eBay). I plug it into my computer, download the MP3 that I want to play onto it, cut the speaker wire off the mini speaker and splice it into the pachislo speaker wire... no problem. I press the little button, and the sound plays through the amplified speakers at the normal machine volume. Perfect.

My problem is I don't know how to wire the little circuit board into my trigger lights (or other items, like spin knob or stop buttons). The button on the circuit board is a simple open/close... in other words, if I cut the wires to the button, and touch them together, it plays my sound. How would I wire this into my light bulbs on my pay glass so when they light up it opens (or closes, whatever) the circuit and plays the sound? Please be nice and understand I have ZERO experience when it comes to circuit boards, volt meters, schematics, etc... lol. I can wire things in if I know where they go, but thats about it.

The other side note is these run off of 3 button batteries... once I figure out how to wire the buttom into my lights on my reel glass (or other places), would love someone that knows the inner workings of the circuits inside these machines to point me into how I can remove the batteries and supply the proper voltage to this little board directly from the machine. Thoughts? Thanks.

-Dave

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Custom Sound Integration

Oh yeah, I also looked into using the last reel stop button as the button that plays a sound... but the connector on my stop buttons have 5 wires. Anyone know which combination of 2 wires would work like the two wires on the play button of my sound module if I wired them in?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Anyone?

Stop button should be easy for anyone knowing the inner workings... just need to know which 2 out of the 5 wires I tap by button into in order to close the circuit.
    And I would think the light on the reel glass (like big bonus activated light) should be able to be used as a trigger with the above setup...

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

sorry your above my pay grade???

if it were a vintage pachinko i would be able to help...
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You'd need to use something similar to a relay for your triggers. For simplicity I'd use a 'reed relay' with the coil connections across the lamp you want to use as a trigger and the reed switch connections to the switch terminals on the mp3 playback circuit board. You'll need to find out the voltage ratings of the light bulb you're connecting to and select a reed relay with a similar coil voltage. I'm a pachinko person, so I don't know what voltages are typically used for the bulbs in pachislo machines, so someone else might have to help you with this.

A 'reed relay' is preferred over other types of relay as the coil does not need very much power to energise the relay, and so should not put any more stress on the circuits of the pachislo machine that light the bulbs. An alternative solution would be to use an opto-isolator chip, this would be better as it would need even less power from the lamp driver circuits, but is a lot more complicated to wire up so it's probably easier to just keep it simple and use the relay!

If you wanted to wire in to a button instead, you shouldn't make a direct connection as it is very likely the circuits of the mp3 playback board will affect the circuits of the pachislo machine connected to the button. You could again use a relay, but you'd need to probe the connections with a voltmeter and find the one where the voltage changes when you press the button, and then figure out how to connect the relay so that it's triggered when you press the button. This would be a lot more complicated than triggering from a light bulb, so I'd suggest you try that first and only consider a switch trigger once you're confident with triggering from light bulbs.

As far as replacing the batteries goes, on one of their other auctions (for the module that connects via USB and has 5 buttons to play back different sounds) there is a similar question posted at the bottom of the auction page. The seller says that you can remove the batteries and use a USB power supply/charger to power the circuit board.

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the info. Above my electronics skill set though, lol. So here is what I did, sounds great and works perfectly. Sounds like factory installed sounds...

Basically, I piggy-backed the original sounds, and connected the trigger to the light bulbs used for certain events. For example, when a respin is hit, the machine would play a melody for 3.1 seconds, and light up the respin lamp on the reel glass. So I used the custom module, tapped it into the speakers of the pachislo, added my MP3 sound file onto the sound module with 3.1 seconds of silence before the clip plays. I then connected it to trigger the play using the lamp that lights up when a respin is shown on the reel glass for the trigger. The result, respin light lights up, 3.1 seconds of factory "do-do-do" music, followed immediately by my custom sound (in this particular case, a voice). Even if spinning again right away, the mp3 file plays all the way to the end. Perfect

The only downside, the unit still runs on batteries. Uses 3 watch batteries. I tried supplying 5 volts directly from the machine, and it is too much for the circuit... doesn't hurt anything, but it won't play the sound with 5 volts. The manufacturer told me that 5 volts might be a little much, and to try 3-4 volts. I can't find a 3-4 volt power source in the machine, so guess I'm going to have to go find a resister at Radio Shack... I don't have any laying around. Anyone know off hand if there is a 3-4 volt constant powerpoint located in the machine? I poked around with my multimeter, but couldn't find anything.

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to angryninjas