Thread: Installing a Gaku Counter on a Model "A" Nishijin Vintage?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Installing a Gaku Counter on a Model "A" Nishijin Vintage?

Has anyone done this successfully? I have seen other posts where people have successfully mounted the sensors on the jackpot ball exit chute on model B type machines, but the Model "A" redirects the winning ball back to the bottom tray to make up the "15th ball" in the jackpot.

There seems to be a 1/4 to 1/3 inch gap on the back of my machine between the jackpot ball exit chute and the lower ball tray return that I might be able to use, but I'm not sure how much gap is required for the sensor to detect the moving ball.

Has anyone successfully set up an "A" recycler for a Gaku counter and if so, where did you put the jackpot sensor?

Thanks in advance.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Installing a Gaku Counter on a Model "A" Nishijin Vintage?

This is a good situation for a microswitch in lieu of the WIN sensor. The switch could be triggered by the see saw, exactly where the leaf switch is. The switch could also be near the large jackpot lever. Dust cover might need some notching...

It is interesting though!

I was thinking you could surface mount the WIN sensor in the area of the green box on the crude scan below to detect the red lever swinging up. I've not tried it.

Model A .jpg
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is another idea I've not tried...

Model A Sensor.jpg
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2

5. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    Here is another idea I've not tried...

Model A Sensor.jpg
    I think that would be a the way to go.

My suggestion would be to cut a notch in the return chute to the lower tray and have the sensor sit right above it. (would also need to make a bracket for the sensor)

100 machines and counting...

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks to all for your suggestions, but I got the kits today and found some good spots for them. Currently I have only one counter built because I burned up one of the reset switches leaving the soldering iron on the contact too long

Since I can only play one at a time, for now I'll just swap the unit between the two machines and plug in the sensor cords before I play...

I haven't gotten a case for it yet, so it just kind of sits on top of the machine while I play but it works fine.

I used velcro for all the sensor mountings for two reasons.
    1. Velcro is easy to re-adjust if necessary
    2. No permanent mods were needed for the machines.

The easiest was the Sankyo 78. It is a "B" model style so finding sensor spots was easy.

IMAG0222.jpg Here is the shot ball sensor

IMAG0224.jpg Here is the win sensor right at the exit chute for the winning ball.

The Model "A" was a little trickier due to the fact that the winning ball is recycled to the player as the "15th" ball

IMAG0218.jpg Again, here is the shot ball sensor.

IMAG0220.jpgIMAG0221.jpgHere's where it was a bit interesting. I found a gap between the winning ball exit an the lower tray return chute. So what a place to put the sensor. I had to be a little careful. Too far in, and it blocks the winning ball from returning... To far out and it can't sense the winning ball. Velcro was very helpful here because I could make adjustments until I found a position that accurately captured the ball as it went by.

Overall, I'm really satisfied. I play two game modes now. "Straight high score" where I ignore the "balance" and "balls shot" and just go for as many wins as possible. Then sometimes I play vegas style and use the "balance" tally as the payout. The clock is also nice if you want to do "timed" games and see how much you can win in a certain time. The only slight annoyance is the fact that undershot balls count against your "balance", and if you shoot two at a time, it only counts as one ball. This is not an issue for moderns as they don't have that problem, but for us vintage users, it's something to keep in mind. If I'm simply playing for "straight high score, It's not a problem since I ignore the balance value anyway.. However, if I'm playing "vegas style" then I look at is as a penalty. If you undershoot, you don't lose the ball, but you do lose a point, so make sure all your balls make it do the playing field.

These things are great, and once I get a new button (tomorrow) I'll build out the other counter. I might even get some of those fine cases Carl W designed depending on how much he is asking to part with them for...(grin).
    Last edited by p.opus; 05-09-2013 at 11:33 PM.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2

9. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to p.opus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The reset button included with the GAKU counter is not very reliable, unfortunately. And neither are the mini pushbuttons available at radio shack. The internal mechanism seems to melt when wires are soldered to the leads. Then the button is difficult to press or needs to be pressed very forcefully.

Here is a link to a push button with the same look and size as the one included has been reliable in my experience.
    PB01B-R on page Push Buttons

Max uses an arcade push button. Normally open, momentary contact...

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, I had to go back to the drawing board on the Nishijin "A". It seems that the sensors are much more reliable when the ball passes across the sensor 'In Line' with the sensor like on the shooting mechanism instead of perpendicular to the sensor like I had it set up on the "A". Oddly, on the Sankyo, the ball travel out of the exit chute is not problematic if the sensor face is perpendicular to the ball travel, but on the "A" I got a much different response.

So, how to make it so the ball travels in line with the sensor? Well I had to make it so the sensor could be mounted 90 degrees from it's current location, and thanks to an electric drill, I was able to create a notch to allow this.

I decided to take out the jackpot ball return to the lower tray and drill a slot in it. Not big enough for a ball to pass through, but big enough for the sensor to be rotated and see the travel.

See Below:

IMAG0227.jpg

When reinstalled, now the sensor has a wider detection path and the ball travels in line with sensor as it turns the corner.
    IMAG0228.jpg

And finally, here is the sensor installed, and with it's new position, I have yet to miss a jackpot, or get a sense double jackpot like sometimes occurred.

IMAG0229.jpg

I didn't want to make a permanent mod to the machine, but it was the only option I had short of getting and debouncing a microswitch. Plus, the notch really does not adversely affect the structural integrity of the piece since it only needs to hold one ball at a time, and the notch is too small for the ball to pass out of it.

13. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to p.opus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Only drawback is the WIN is sensed late in the jackpot cycle. But you get bonus points for creativity and an A+ for effort!

15. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    Only drawback is the WIN is sensed late in the jackpot cycle.
    I was worried about that too . And you are correct that the WIN sensor is out of sync with the WIN lights illuminating. However, but game play on each machine has the jackpot registering simultaneous to the bell ring. So the sensor on both machines is detecting a win just as the winning balls are exiting the machine into the front tray.

I haven't found this distracting at all. In fact for me it's better, the lights light up, then I shift my gaze to the counter and watch it go up as I hear my payout spits out.

17. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to p.opus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Installing a Gaku Counter on a Model "A" Nishijin Vintage?

Installed a sensor near the see saw with consistent results.

Put reflective tape on the see saw during cleaning / re-assembly.

The sensor worked better with the printing facing in, not sure why. The sensor is actually touching the see saw and on a slight angle. Again, not sure why, but it worked. Going to adjust the spacer placement and put some of the parts back where they belong, it is not an ideal camera angle...

Used two 3mm spacers and a #4 x 1" screw.

Top View with flash.jpg See Saw Down.jpg See Saw Down On Angle touching sensor.jpg

See Saw UP.jpg See Saw UP On Angle touching sensor.jpg

19. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good option. Probably easier than drilling a notch in the jackpot ball return chute.

I just installed a second counter on my front overload using the notch method. It works flawlessly as well. Like you said previously, however, the jackpot registers on the counter when the balls hit the bell instead of when the jackpot feature lights up.

On the model 'A', the jackpot light and bell sound are two very distinct and separate actions unlike the B's where they are closer together.

21. The following user says "Thanks" to p.opus