Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Something Uplifitng is Coming

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Something Uplifitng is Coming

Hi gang, I haven't forgot about the affordable ball lifter project and recently I have come up with a completely new approach !

Something scalable to your needs is about to be born, parts are on their way from the 4 corners of the earth

2. The following 15 users say "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Something Uplifitng is Coming

I like the word AFFORDABLE... Should have gotten BallDozers at the time as the were affordable!
    I am ALL for you and what your doing!
    I may not be the best guy, BUT I am not the bad guy!- Coop from Megas XLR

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to KimbaWLion

Thanks
    Thanks Received

elevator.jpgI couldn't wait for the new motor and control relays and switches and decided to mock this up today. I envision this linked to
    a master collection and distribution system in your home parlour.

It's works better than I expected , I didn't adjust anything and the first crack at a spring loaded nut on the buttom works great. it's is even able to lift a heavy off center load with a wimpy motor. The car is "U" shaped so balls will spill out a hole in the side on top.

I wanted to get all your thoughts to make sure I am headed in the right direction with this at this point.

What I like about this is there will be no single line of balls to jam anywhere and it's fairly quiet and vibration free.

Here is what I am thinking so far, as the car (box) comes down, I am going to push down a spring loaded retaining wall at the bottom (with the car) to let the next batch of balls over the top of it and in, the screw will then reverse directions at that point and start upward, the retaining wall will spring back up slowing as it leaves blocking any new balls from going anywhere underneath. The car goes to the top and the balls will start to exit out a hole in the side, the exit side then hits a stop,which will cause it to tip to let the last few balls out, then the other side hits a limit /reversing switch and starts down to start the process over.

At 500 rmp a complete cycle will take about 2 -1/2 minutes to go about 48 inches and back, all the balls lost in your parlour in that 2 1/2 minutes will be waiting on the bottom to be brought back up again. this proto will hold well over 1000 balls and move them

If you can handle the lag time a longer screw and sides makes this same unit able to lift higher. the box size can be adjusted too, plexiglass can be added to the front and plywood to the back. Nice hardwood an option , graphics , paint perhaps make it visible

Anyways, what do you think ? Maybe I can supply the screw with the machined ends, the motor, power supply, the reversing curcuit and limit and saftey switches and the spring loaded bottom door, plans and you can build the rest?

thanks

6. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looking good! But we both know it will take a bit of tinkering to make it work right! None of the good stuff in life is EASY!
    I may not be the best guy, BUT I am not the bad guy!- Coop from Megas XLR

8. The following user says "Thanks" to KimbaWLion

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sounds like a good idea. But I'm sure there might be a few things you will find once you get it all assembled and are able to play with it.

I like your idea of doing a kit form. I don't know about other members but I'm fully capable of making my own stand for it, you would be doing a great favor by selling the parts that are hard to make. Also some plans would probably be a nice added help just try to keep it simple and use the least amount of tools possible (basic tools so no CNC routers or laser cutters or something. )

100 machines and counting...

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the input, I will most likely be implimenting a timing relay at both limits to allow the motor to completely stop before reversing and the balls to completely empty and fill. Be working on this today for a while, I'll keep you posted.

12. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Did a lttle tinkering while watching the Masters here is a short video showing how it will load mockup1 - YouTube

14. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

cut the section of boards where the balls dump on a bevel that way it will act like a funnel when it is lowered...you might lose an inch of height on that section over all but your basket is so large you wil never fill it full
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    cut the section of boards where the balls dump on a bevel that way it will act like a funnel when it is lowered...you might lose an inch of height on that section over all but your basket is so large you wil never fill it full

Great minds think alike, that's exactly what I was planning on, the basket is only temporary, there will be a more substantial feedtray a bit wider.

18. The following user says "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

there is a bit of "Stewie Griffin" in us all
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

20. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

neat idea, waiting to see more
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

22. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looking good I love how simple it is. I mean I could have thought of that. Looks like your concept will work well. How do you plan it to dump the balls out though?

24. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    Looking good I love how simple it is. I mean I could have thought of that. Looks like your concept will work well. How do you plan it to dump the balls out though?
    The carriage nut that rides the scew is spring mounted allowing the carriage to tip sideways when it hits a stop near the top causing the balls to pour out a hole on the side of the rail into a an upper hopper. The other side of the carriage will then hit a
    micro switch that unlatches a small relay and reverses the current to the motor sending it down to get what has collected in the lower tray.

Now suppose we are looking at the back of the unit in the video, we can cover it with graphic coated plywood, where the graphics are pointed towards the inside of the machine, the other side has nothing protuding and could have clear plastic on it and mounted like a machine in your parlour. How about a mostly clear plastic unit with an Led light show? I think the possibilities for making this thing look cool and visible in your parlour are endless !

26. The following user says "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

How much bigger is the lifter than an actual machine? or is it? I think that should be where you should start. Is try to figure out how to make it as small a possible so someone could possibly mount it in an extra deep cabinet.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    How much bigger is the lifter than an actual machine? or is it? I think that should be where you should start. Is try to figure out how to make it as small a possible so someone could possibly mount it in an extra deep cabinet.
    I would have liked to make it small enough to fit in a standard spot however, by the time you run plumbing with decent pitch the catch basin needs to be somewhat downhill from the bottom of your machine output and the top basin above it.

New Video
    Went to the shop this morning and cut a decent loading tray, check out how slick it loads now ! Prototype Ball Elevator - YouTube

29. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very cool. A couple months ago I looked into doing something like this... But the screw drive is something that escaped me. Brilliant... at least in my eyes... Which is why I ended specializing in firmware and embedded digital, not ME, 25 years ago. But my starter motor + bike chain/gears + metal toolbins design was impressive - impressive at hurling huge amounts of balls across my home office. Maybe should have opted for a motorcycle starter, not one salvaged off a Chevy 350 v8...

yea the ssoftware guys always overbuild/overspec hardware...
    Woof!

31. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Chumsize

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Chum and I for one would like some pics of that loader you built.

33. The following user says "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This video should be live shortly, the machine is auto reversing and I added some LEDs . will have time to work on it this week and build the ball exit at the top. lights - YouTube
    Last edited by rockston; 04-21-2013 at 06:19 PM.

35. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What if...​the ​HOKEY POKEY, is what it's all about?

37. The following user says "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Realized that the balls should come out the same side they go in. I hacked this together to find out what angle I needed in the elevator car and how much to overshoot in order to empty it.

Unfortunately I left my balls at the shop and only had a few at home but you can see what goes on at top. Video will be up shortly Ball Elevator - YouTube

Next I am going to design and build a better looking version of this. I am still waiting on some parts to arrive

39. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to rockston

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast