Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lighting the Cell

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thumbs up Lighting the Cell

I was wanting to light up the cell on my Twin Tales machine and wanted something that looked as if it wasn't added on.

The Tom&Jerry machine, I have, has led's around it, built-in between the two pieces of glass. So, I was thinking maybe I could do the same for Twin Tales. There are two pieces of glass in the door and about a 3/8" space between them. So, I removed the inside glass and cut some aluminum coil stock into 1/4" strips and made a frame for the led's to mount to. Bent the strips to the curve of the glass and taped them in. The led's are 3M tape mounted to the strips. Put the inside glass back in so now the led's are "sandwiched" in between the two pieces of glass and from the outside looked built-in..
    Wired the led's to a 12V transformer, I got from Goodwill (99 cents), and they work Great! Lights the cell up Perfect and looks as if they are part of the machine. The led's I got at Walmart, In the automotive department, two 14" long strips, 1/4" wide. They were $18.

Of course, here's some pictures.

004.jpg 002.jpg 007.jpg

Spoiler
    What if...​the ​HOKEY POKEY, is what it's all about?

2. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Lighting the Cell

I was thinking of doing a similar thing with my Eva 4, as the left hand side of the cell is completely dark, but it's a very tight space, and I don't think I can do much with it. I was originally thinking strip-leds which tend to be quite thin and narrow, but as I look at it again, I have no idea where I'd mount it

But it's nice to see that some machines have room for it!
    InfiniteBlue
    Vintage: 1978 Masamura Super Deluxe, 1975 Nishijin B "JAL" Shiroi-Komame
    Modern: Newgin Trio, Bisty Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Angels Return (v4)

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nice!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

5. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks great. I am hoping to come up with a similar way to light my PowerFlash. May have to stop by Walmart soon.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

One thing I forgot to mention about the led's, I used.

Not only do they shine straight forward, they also shine sideways, in one direction. So it makes they great for lighting the cell.

Today I worked on lighting the cell on my Wanted machine. The glass in the door was a little different than on the Twin Tales machine. It is 2 pieces of round glass, in a plastic frame, and made in one piece. They were not plexiglas, as my other machines, but "saftey glass", like in your car. I tried several different ways to remove one of the pieces from the plastic frame, with no luck. So, I just ended up breaking one of them out of the frame and cutting a new piece of plexiglas to replace it. It all went pretty smooth once I got one of the pieces of glass out. I installed the leds and put in the new piece of plexiglas, so the led's looked "sandwiched" inside the two pieces of glass.

Again, here's some pictures.

007.jpg 009.jpg 011.jpg

9. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was thinking of adding strip LED's to my Taiyo Maturi machine to light up the cell. Is there a convenient 12 volt wire on these machines that could be tapped into rather than adding another transformer? I would want the LED's to stay on constantly when the machine is on.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What I did was add an outlet box. I ran the power cord into the box and the 110 wires from the machines transformer into the box and made the connection. Then powered the outlets, from the power cord inside the box, so other transformers could plug in. So now, if your machine is plugged into a power strip with an ON/OFF switch, everything turns on and off at the same time.

Or, just plug your machine and transformer for the lights into a power strip with a ON/Off switch.

027.jpg

12. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was wanting to just tap into the 12 volts from the existing transformer. I could splice into the wires coming right out of the transformer... but I would like for the LED's to be "switched" with the rest of the machine. Does anyone know which, if any, of these wires near the machine's on/off switch might be hot all the time the switch is on?
    Thanks

100_3118(2).jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The only way I know for sure is to use a volt meter and measure each one. Start at higher voltage and work down 'till you know how many volts...then switch off and see if the power is switched.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

LED's require a dc voltage, You can't just connect them to any output on the back of the machine, Especially striaght off the transformer windings, Unless you are using a 12volt dc supply to run the lightbulbs on a vintage,
    Ian #UKPachinko

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wayne-Ooo, do you get any distracting glare from the lights shining between the panes of glass? I added some strip LED's to a vintage machine and they tend to blind me. I found some "side" shining LED's on ebay that I thought about trying... I wondered if they would prevent or reduce any glare.
    Drunkenclam, I believe the transformer on my machine puts out 12v DC... but I'll double check to be sure.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks pretty. If I added side lighting to my Yamato 2, I'd need to put on sunscreen to play the game.

As it is right now, it's pretty brilliant... Makes my Star Wars machine in it's lumina frame look "dim" and as you know, lumina frames were far from dim...

IMAG0367.jpgIMAG0289.jpg
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was surprised with the leds and thought ahead that they might shine in my face or glare in the glass, but they don't, not at all. As I mentioned above the leds shine straight and to one side. They work perfect for lighting the cell and playfield and not a your face or glare the glass.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Drunkenclam, I guess I was thinking about the vintage machines I've added lights to (12v DC). I didn't realize these moderns run on AC. The transformer on my machine says 110v on one side and 12v on the other side (so I was thinking 12v DC). When I measure with a meter I get close to 28v AC. Is 24-28 volts AC pretty much the standard for modern machines?
    Guess I'll use a second transformer if I decide to add LED's to this machine.
    Thanks Everyone

21. The following user says "Thanks" to Greg Lockhart

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Instead of a second transformer. You could get a basic circuit board to convert the 24vac to 12vdc. If its only for LEDs it doesn't have to be high current.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks, but I wouldn't have any idea how to go about doing that. Is it hard and/or expensive?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockhart View Post
    When I measure with a meter I get close to 28v AC. Is 24-28 volts AC pretty much the standard for modern machines?
    Yes 24 VAC is the defacto standard for modern machines, as it is (if I am correct) the standard voltage used in pachinko parlors. Pachislots too run on 24VAC, so almost everything in the parlor runs 24VAC.

Transformers installed on modern pachinkos and pachislots are always after market additions to allow them to run at the standard voltage where the machine is being used.

Of course the LED's and such on a modern don't run on 24VAC so there is always an inverter circuit somewhere on the machine that feeds the LED's. But without a detailed schematic at your machine, it's usually tough to figure out exactly where the DC is located. So to make it easier, (and prevent you from frying your valuable machine) it's usually easier to simply supply your own secondary transformer or do what clam says and create a basic inverter circuit to stepdown 24VAC to 12VDC.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Another option may be to utilize the built in "taps" on the machine for the battle counter. Almost all moderns have "inputs" for third party battle counters that keep track of things like how many fever rounds have been played, rough payout of a machine, etc. This allows players to kind of look at a machine and see it's recent win history. They also are usually loaded with lights and flash in sync with the machine they are attached to.

Most of these "taps" are outputs for data, but if I am not mistaken the machine typically powers the battle counter as well. Thus if you had a volt meter, you could measure across these taps and see if one of them is a DC out...Of course the battle counters themselves may be AC and internally invert to DC as well, so that may or may not be possible.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ian #UKPachinko

27. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've done some specialized LED lighting and it would be possible to put together a lighting kit that would run directly from 24 VAC.

The lighting I'm doing is very limited in space:
    tn1.jpg

The circuit board I made must fit in the 1/8" slot along the edge of the acrylic. So I designed and built this board:

board.jpg

The one pictured is an older design, the newer one is a feed thru that has connections on both ends so that power can be run on to the next board, and is slightly longer. The board holds 3 LEDs, tho only 2 are installed. The light emits to the top of the photo, but the led's could be laid flat to emit straight up (towards you in the photo).

I looked at flexible PC boards, but they are expensive to make, and premade ones only hold the 5050 LEDs, which makes the whole thing about 1/2" wide and 1/4" thick. For me to make any kind of lighting economically, would be to do boards separated by short lengths of wire, which would make the whole thing a bit more fragile, but it could be workable. I could also design and make shorter boards that held fewer LED's if the length of the 3 LED board is a problem.

Would there be any interest in such a thing?
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

29. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to browne92

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast