Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Mistake

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Newbie Mistake

I am new to modern pachinko machines and just made a bonehead mistake. I bought a Sanyo New Sea Story Special machine.

I was told the unit just needed to be plugged in. I'm reading the warning label of 24v and still plugged it in to 110v. Obviously, I blew the fuse, but burned up at least one capacitor. I don't see any other visible damage. Did I just destroy the machine? I'd be curious if anyone else has made this mistake and able to correct? I'm not equipped to do the repair myself and hoping a TV repair can correct, but also looking for a wire diagram. There are two loose wires on the machine that I assume to be grounds. Adding a transformer will be easy enough, but concerned about wiring correct/safely. Are there sources for replacement parts or aware of any service centers in SE Michigan? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Newbie Mistake

If the loose wires are green and yellow then it's the grounds. If your lucky replacing the fuse and blown component should fix it. I'm afraid the only way to see is to try. If the part is still readable. You should find a replacement. As for sourcing a complete board. I don't know as far side of the pond. But others might know. Also try posting a pic of the blown part.
    Others have made the same mistake and fixed them ok.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the response. Hopefully no other areas were impacted, but is a capacitor any kind of fail safe?IMG_20130317_123849.jpgIMG_20130317_124707.jpg

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Chaffy15

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well you did put 4x the correct voltage through it. If only that bits blown and your house didn't burn down. I guess thats a good failsafe.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

im not much help with mordern machine's.. but if i rember right your not the first to do this.. and if i remember right others were able to fix there machine's.. but some were not..

either way...

Welcome to Pachitalk

and Good luck to ya

Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk!

Hopefully your machine will be up and running soon.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The three components marked ZNRx are not capacitors, they are the protection diodes that are designed to stop surges. They tend to blow and go short circuit when the pachinko is given a severe over-voltage. If there's a fuse somewhere on the machine, it's likely that this has also been taken out and will need replacing.

Otherwise check these ZNR devices with a multimeter to see if they are shorted (and snip them out of circuit if they are), fit the correct 24v transformer and power on and you should be good to go (as long as there isn't any other damage). The machine won't be protected against power line surges and over-voltages any more, but you can plug it into a surge protection strip if that's likely to be an issue.

9. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yours is hurt a bit more than Edward's...but his modern was plugged into line voltage as well. Question About New Pachinko Machine Voltage His was protected by a fuse blowing. If I'm not mistaken...it was deep inside. I'm sure if you took that board to a good electronic repair place, they could replace the damaged components.
    And before I forget...TO PACHITALK!

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I remember my 1st modern and I was lucky to get it with a 24vac 5 amp transformer installed . Good luck in getting your prize working and please keep us in the loop on your progress
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

12. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Let me first say thank you all for the responses and words of welcome. I'm still struggling to find a schematic, but feeling confident I can find the circuit components and replace. I still have a few questions. The origin fuse is very accessible and pretty obvious I smoked that (this is at the on/off switch). I found another that is intact, but are there more and are they in series? Kinda hoping that if I replace the burned components, that the remaining boards and connections are safe??? Worried about impacting additional parts if I power up again. I keep reading about capacitors retaining a dangerous charge, but if the boards are in series I should be able to stop that. If I wasn't smart enough to heed the warning label of 24v, I'm not sure why I'm considering tackling this...except I haven't been able to locate anyone local that's either knowledgeable (except you guys!) or willing to tackle.

I also have two green wires that are just hanging loose. The previous owner said he had never connected them to anything and unit worked fine. This was also the same person who advised I just had to wire and plug in. The ground from the on/off switch appeared to be connected to the frame and just came loose, but the green wire from the circuit board that I took a picture doesn't look like it was ever connected to anything. Now that I am hyper sensitive to screwing this up (further), I want to wire this correctly.

Last question, can anyone recommend the correct size of transformer (24v, but will 5amp and 140vac be enough) and where is a good source to purchase from?

Again, thanks for the all the help!

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

The green ground wires are to remove static buildup from the balls moving in the parlor system.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

15. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by compirate View Post
    The green ground wires are to remove static buildup from the balls moving in the parlor system.

Where would I terminate the wires? Do they need to make contact anywhere? The wire at the switch was bare and I found a terminal stuck in the door frame, but no wire attached to it. Logical connection, but guessing. The second wire plugs into a circuit board. This has a terminal ring attached to it, but don't see any post or location to attach it. A little gun shy of messing with things, but dont want to attach incorrectly. Thanks for the insight, but not sure where to go from there.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I don't know about in the US, but in the UK all are wall sockets are 3 pins, with the 3rd being the ground. On my machines I connect then to the mains ground. One end is normally attaches to the metal around the sides of the machine. An sometime on is connected near the ball paths.

A 5 A transformer should be ok. But if it was me, I'd go for something a little bigger. 6.3 or 8A As to where. Again sorry. DOn't know in the US but others can advise
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've had good luck with this transformer so far... hardly gets warm at all and comes with built in circuit breaker.
    150 VA ~ 6.25 A

$28 on amazon + shipping

Transformer 150VA, 120-24V, single hub, UL List US/Canada, Circ. Bkr.: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    Woof!

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Chaffy15 View Post
    Where would I terminate the wires? Do they need to make contact anywhere? The wire at the switch was bare and I found a terminal stuck in the door frame, but no wire attached to it. Logical connection, but guessing. The second wire plugs into a circuit board. This has a terminal ring attached to it, but don't see any post or location to attach it. A little gun shy of messing with things, but dont want to attach incorrectly. Thanks for the insight, but not sure where to go from there.
    They aren't really needed for home use.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There are two fuses on this machine, the main one next to the power switch (which you've blown) is likely to be either 10A or 15A, the second one will be a 1A fuse next to the card reader interface socket (a 25 pin D-type connector), it's very unlikely the second fuse will blow.

You don't need to replace the blown diodes, just snip them out or unsolder one lead from them. Pop a new fuse in and test the machine out. If the machine then works and you want to replace the components, you just need to source some suppression diodes (ie high current Zener or Transorbs) with a clamp voltage of around 40 to 60V.

Personally I would leave them unconnected, as they are only there for protecting against power line surges and inadvertent connection directly to 120v line power. Seeing as you won't make the same mistake twice and if you need surge protection you can easily plug it into a protected power strip, they are not really needed any more.

A 5A or 6A transformer will be more than adequate for this machine. While more modern machines need bigger transformers, this one doesn't need quite as much power.

Don't worry about the charge on the capacitors, if there was any it will have leaked away by now. It's also likely that the diodes and fuse blew before any significant power reached the capacitors (I think this should be the case, as the capacitors are not rated for full line voltage and would have exploded if the protection circuits had not operated!).

21. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well it seems I am getting a crash course in modern pachinkos. Thanks "Daverob" for advising that ZRN1 is not a capacitor. Turns out this is a "varistor" and as advised, is designed to blow with a power surge. I had the board tested and this is the only damaged component, however they were unable to cross reference due to being Japanese. The only markings on this part is "ENC470" and then the number "40". Would anyone know where to purchase or be able to cross? I'm optimistic that with proper voltage and a replaced varistor, I can be up and running. Thanks "Chumsize" for the advice on the transformer.

23. The following user says "Thanks" to Chaffy15

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well... found you a data sheet at least... These are Fuji electric "ceramic surge absorbers" CERAMIC SURGE ABSORBERS | Datasheet Archive

looking down in the chart... the 470 has a varistor value of 47 (42~52) V at .1ma... Surge (something) of 125A... Energy 1.0 J...

Could translate the other values later... But maybe that's enough for your repair guy to find a suitable replacement.
    Woof!

25. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Chumsize

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Funny how Fuji Electric and Sanyo were little help for info on their own products. Thanks again "chumsize" for the info. I am putting in the 110v varistor and crossing fingers nothing else is destroyed. I'll update if it works and you probably hear me scream if it doesn't (without using a computer). Think I'll stick stick to vintage machines after this.

27. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Chaffy15

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It'll probably work - but the varistor should be around 45V, not 110 - at least per the spec of the original part. 110 won't give you any protection if it gets full line voltage again... which it did when you plugged it in w/o transformer.
    Woof!

29. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Chumsize

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast