Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Satomi Miracle Arrangeball... miraculous.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Satomi Miracle Arrangeball... miraculous.

Well... Not gonna beat around the bush. Got lucky.

Just got the one I bought on eBay (see this thread: http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/ebay...rangeball.html)

Packing was OK... just OK... but no broken glass. Wanted to see pics of the inside, didn't... but risked it anyway.

So... I don't know how rare this is, but look at the video. This video is after resoldering the two wires heading to the rectifier bridge on the main circuit board (missing from the pic below... it was out when I snapped the pic), and before regapping 2 reed switches in the back for the lights you see stuck on. Total of about 30 mins work. So as of right now, its just a cosmetic restoration.

I'm absolutely flabbergasted that there weren't even any light bulbs out. The payout solenoid buzzed the first couple times and didn't work, but by my third play, all was good.

Can anyone here that has one like this shoot me a pic of the #7 pocket? It looks like it fell off and was replaced by a cheap handwritten and faded paper sticker.

So pics...

photo.jpg photox.jpg photos.jpg

Oh... and one of the ashtray. I heard someone here has a keen interest in the ashtrays on Satomi's. This one came with a Camel Light® (aka Blue™).

photo-1.jpg
    Last edited by Chumsize; 03-07-2013 at 11:25 PM.
    Woof!

2. The following 11 users say "Thanks" to Chumsize

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Satomi Miracle Arrangeball... miraculous.

Ooh... just found a switch that makes the max payout 10 instead of 5. Cool. Circuit board in lower back corner says "5p - 10p" Hmm... ditch the placard???
    Woof!

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Chumsize

Thanks
    Thanks Received

YOU are a WINNER!

There is always another machine around the corner...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice job on the repair. I can't quite tell from the pics but on many Satomis, the lower left and right ball guides are adjustable. These are the red plastic sorta triangular parts on your machine. Loosen the screw and move them to eliminate or use the ball replay feature.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

be vewy vewy quiet im hunting pachis... Lt Teddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had at one time two just like it. I have since given one to mopar and on both machines the seven sticker was gone. One I pasted on a seven decal and the other had it marked in with a marker. You can see mine on my site and I think mopar has his posted too.
    Over the hills and threw the woods, pachi hunting we go.
    Arrangeball Hunter
    ARRANGEBALLS 5, Slots 12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you look at the arrangeball group their is a picture of the one I gave to mopar for Christmas a couple of years ago. His has the center where someone had just used a marker to make a seven and his has one of the first placards I made. The last placards I have made are better in that if I have an original placard like on the Texas Balloons that I bought from Dallas I just take the placard out and go to a Staples and on photo back paper make a copy. Comes out alot more original looking.
    Arrangeball Hunter
    ARRANGEBALLS 5, Slots 12

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Lt Teddy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well... as was bound to happen, a couple problems have shown up.

First.. the top row across does not light its "2" payout light... and doesn't pay out. Switched out the bulb and it sort of warbled in and out a bit and is out again. Bulb is fine. Used 14v 100ma bulb (closest I could find to 12v 90ma). Unless that's the problem. It will sorta half light when the other three "2" payout lights are lit. Figuring its the diode over the back? Or a driver transistor. Tried to test the current on that diode... checked another, blew that one... so now that one only lights if another is lit. (D'oh! never test a live circuit, dumba$$!)

Then some time in the midst of all this the payout button stopped working and neither does it pay an instant win on the 7 pocket. (It did on the 10 pocket too - tho it wasn't supposed to). Still pays out when you drop a token in.

So... I seem to remember somewhere (can't find the thread now) where someone mentioned having schematics for one of these (not sure if it was a Satomi). Mind sending a scan my way? might make finding the right places to look for these issues much easier. And it might have the part #'s too. Those tiny diodes are so small I'm gonna need a scanning electron microscope to read the number off them.

Thanks in advance... whoever you are...
    Woof!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I believe Emmadog is the one with schematics. Might want to send him a PM. Not sure it was for that machine though.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I might have a diode or two??? or at least a package for them??? let me look tomarow
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Chumsize View Post
    Well... as was bound to happen, a couple problems have shown up.

First.. the top row across does not light its "2" payout light... and doesn't pay out. Switched out the bulb and it sort of warbled in and out a bit and is out again. Bulb is fine. Used 14v 100ma bulb (closest I could find to 12v 90ma). Unless that's the problem. It will sorta half light when the other three "2" payout lights are lit. Figuring its the diode over the back? Or a driver transistor. Tried to test the current on that diode... checked another, blew that one... so now that one only lights if another is lit. (D'oh! never test a live circuit, dumba$$!)

Then some time in the midst of all this the payout button stopped working and neither does it pay an instant win on the 7 pocket. (It did on the 10 pocket too - tho it wasn't supposed to). Still pays out when you drop a token in.

So... I seem to remember somewhere (can't find the thread now) where someone mentioned having schematics for one of these (not sure if it was a Satomi). Mind sending a scan my way? might make finding the right places to look for these issues much easier. And it might have the part #'s too. Those tiny diodes are so small I'm gonna need a scanning electron microscope to read the number off them.

Thanks in advance... whoever you are...
    i shorted out one of the payout lights on my Satomi Lion machine which is very similar to yours. I used a continuity checker to find its transistor and replaced it. It fixed it so maybe yours has the same solution. My machine still paid out correctly before I fixed it though. Maybe yours needs to have that repaired to register a payout. Although no machines that I've seen yet need all light bulbs functioning to register payouts. Could also be a micro switch that needs cleaning. I've had that happen to.
    as far as the other funky payouts you're experiencing- could be an IC. I hope not but most of those chips are still available.

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i raplace the old burned out ones with these...

i have a customer that was in the military during the 70's.. he did all the work first two pics are the bad parts and the last pic is what we replaced them with..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

17. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool... mine are C509 and C372AP's... which are NTE289 and 123ap... and emmadog was already kind enough to help me id the diodes - 1N4148's - NTE519. I think its the diodes only, anyway. I swapped the two behind the two malfunctioning lights and they immediately changed behavior.

Off to Fry's... Buy a new temp control soldering iron while I'm at it. My old one (aka "death-bringer") tends to get so hot it destroys anything it touches.
    Woof!

19. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Chumsize

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So if I was looking for IC chips and could not find them could you tell me an alternative for:

UPD 113C
    UPD 128C

Any help from anybody would be appreciated. Tryed all over china and Japan and got taken for a ride in China. Expensive for chips that had nothing on them when they arrived.
    Arrangeball Hunter
    ARRANGEBALLS 5, Slots 12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

First... Thanks to ---> emmadog

Schematics helped... ID of diode helped... fact that he did what I did previously and knew what part to replace - helped...

No.. who am I kidding. While I was in the ballpark, I'd not have fixed it this quick. Probably would have eventually stumbled upon the fix I guess. MAYBE...

Anyhoo...

* Light that was out and flickered a bit, even though all four lights in the row were solid? It was the diode from the bulb tip to ground.
    * The other light I blew out by shorting the light base (exactly as emmadog had) needed the primary transistor and the same diode.

Sooo... back to the cosmetic work. And a bit of degumming of the ball slots at the bottom. Balls get stuck between games now and then...

Ohhh! And that 10p-5p switch did allow it to pay up to 10 instead of 5. Removed the "5 only" label... looked dorky to me.
    Woof!

22. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Chumsize

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Can you take a pic of the IC's? And where they're used? there's a possibility the UPD means nothing... or that they're custom...
    Woof!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ah... did find out one thing... those UPD IC's are actually µPD (mu PD) numbers - proprietary NEC chips. Looks like you have to find new-old-stock. Nothing on ebay for those two.

I can hit up one of the local junk shops that has tons of old IC's on Monday. Maybe if a datasheet can be found then you could match up with another equivalent. Otherwise... this is the kind of thing you go digging around Akihabara for... I won't be there until late April at the earliest now...
    Woof!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well I have dug around all over Japan and Asia with no luck. Would be appreciative of anybody that could find them for me anytime. Thank You in advance for looking.
    Arrangeball Hunter
    ARRANGEBALLS 5, Slots 12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The repair guy up here thought those IC numbers were proprietary. Which likely means that all the Chinese companies that say they have them are selling fakes. If proprietary then they can't have made many of them relatively speaking I'm thinking.

27. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Also the possibility that these are NEC PROM's, and without the programming on them - they would seem like they are doing nothing. Closest thing I could find for the 113C at least was a forward reference to a newer PROM system...
    Woof!

29. The following user says "Thanks" to Chumsize

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So here's the latest on the restoration... Pretty much have done most of what I'm going to do - minus replacing the playfield artwork. The water marks are bad... but not horrific (in my opinion, at least) - so I'll hold off doing that for a while. Otherwise, cleaned it up, set it for max 10 payouts instead of 5 (and ditched corroded 5 max signage), repainted spinners, repainted red & blue metallic stripes on top, reprinted instruction card and ball number strip, put a redesign"7" decal on the center pocket, dropped in a couple new sheets of plexiglass, and changed out the lock.

before:
    photo-1.jpg

after:
    image-1.jpg image.jpg(glass open, glass closed with flash)
    Last edited by Chumsize; 03-19-2013 at 12:31 AM.
    Woof!

31. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Chumsize

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast