Thread: Destroying value?????

markthefixer

Default Destroying value?????

Will I destroy or enhance the value of a nishijin super deluxe sophia (firebird?)
    vintage (1972??) hand flick machine by replacing the original switch contact assemblies with 2 microswitches and the 3 lightbulbs (one supply tray empty light and 2 in the center win pocket) with high-intensity ( 1 red) (2 green) l.e.d.s ???

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Destroying value?????

I don't think you'll hurt it, but the only real advantage you'll see from it, is if you like it and play it more.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There are way to many of them for a "rare value" (maybe in 40ty years) and If you can't see it from the front, it should make a difference.
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I got tired of messing with the switches on my vintage Nishijin SD and ended up putting in bulbs that light up all the time just make the playing field more attractive. Added a few extra as well. Heck, it enhanced the value, in my opinion. Looks much better.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah, I'd say go for it.
    There MIGHT be a time when it could be "rare", like Arby said... but there are probably thousands of these things in garages, attics, and storage. They were really big back in the 70's.

If it was a machine from the pre-war era, I might consider otherwise.
    (Kind of like German cameras)
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

LED's would be great!

Here is a good site for everything you could want to know about them.

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/ledleft.htm
    Firewire

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey Mark,

I am no expert about Pachinkos and antiques, but I do have a small collection of military firearms. I can remember the days in the 1950s and even into the 1960s when many surplus firearms were being "sporterized" for hunting purposes. I hated to see these relics of history being chopped into what were essentially mediocre hunting rifles, and eventually the "sporterizing" craze seemed to pass. Military firearms now seem to be recognized for their historic value, and you no longer see them being converter like in years past.

While I am happy with the change in public attitudes and values toward military firearms, I personally would not consider changes to 1970s era Pachinko machines to be in the same category of concern as what was happening to the firearms. For one thing, the sporterizing of the firearms involved permanent changes that could never be undone. The changes you are talking about with the Pachinko are relatively minor, could be undone if wanted, and, in my opinion, really make the Pachinko machine much more rewarding to play and own.

As far as value goes, you really have to be realistic - it's an old Pachinko machine that you probably paid less than $200 for it. Maybe a lot less than that? It is not likely that it is some extremely rare item that is actually worth thousands of dollars and you just lucked out with a good buy. It is more likely that what you paid for it is probably close to what it is worth today and not too far from what it will be worth in ten or twenty years from now. If that is the case, why worry about your proposed changes affecting its value. Your changes sound like good changes to me. If those changes please you over the next 20 years while you use the machine, that to me is the most important concern.

Any change in value will be minimal conpared to the personal value you will enjoy over the time.

Best wishes,
    Dave Wile