Thread: 2004 Star Wars Machine R2-D2 model on the front .. No Sound.. Need a new cable.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default 2004 Star Wars Machine (R2-D2 model on the front).. No Sound.. Need a new cable.

.Hi there. Some of you might remember me.,. I got a Star Wars Pachinko machine that had been converted into a Desktop beast.. ie.. you can't play it it just had sound and lights...

Well I found a frame for it.. fitted it all... so it gives a wonderful light display.. however.. after a slight accident the speakers have become detached so I have no sound.. By this I mean the speakers that had been screwed on to the back of the unit have become detached.. the ones in the frame are fine and all connected...

Having looked at the back of the unit. I need a replacement cable that goes from CN1 at the very top to CN2 it is a white connector .. Does anyone know where I can try and get one from or does anyone have one?

thanks in advance..

Ben

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 2004 Star Wars Machine (R2-D2 model on the front).. No Sound.. Need a new ca

It is a frustrating quest to try and match cables / connectors from one connector without knowing the model numbers. My efforts were focused at digikey.com, where there are thousands of possible choices. Your approach is sound, try to find someone who has one. I looked at my machine and although my machine is fully functioning; there is no cable from CN1 to CN2. That being said; it is a two position, polarized, .1" MALE connector. You can make a cable that will fit the connector (IT WON'T BE POLARIZED) by making your own cables from pololu.com. 6" is more than plenty long. Here is a link.

Pololu - Cables and Wire

You would want female, precrimped, connectors on both ends of your cable and two position housings.

You could also use female to female dupont cables with .1" spacing. They are available from a number of sources. Or you could uses female to female arduino "jumper" cables. Both of these options also have no polarity and are one position connectors.

Good luck! Hope that helps.

PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

3. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 2004 Star Wars Machine (R2-D2 model on the front).. No Sound.. Need a new ca

If you want to make your own replacement cables, the connectors used on Sankyo Lumina frames are Molex Microclasp connectors. They're available in the UK from RS, Farnell etc, but you have to buy the housings in packs of 10. RS sells pre-crimped lengths of wire with the correct terminals on the ends, but you'll need to buy the housings separately and assemble them yourself.

5. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you both for your help, When it comes to this sort of thing I haven't a clue... ;O(.. I will have a ganders on the RS website. see if I can work it out... Thanks again to you both... I am hopeful that someone out there might be able to assist...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

IMG_20130225_205419a.jpgI thought it worth uploading a picture.. I have put a red box around the cable I am looking to replace...IMG_20130225_205504.jpg

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to bdayboom

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by bdayboom View Post
    IMG_20130225_205419a.jpgI thought it worth uploading a picture.. I have put a red box around the cable I am looking to replace...IMG_20130225_205504.jpg
    In your first picture, upper right corner, there are 10 small white squares, on my machine one of those squares is labeled CN1 and another is labeled CN2. I'm wrong on all my information above, sorry.

That cable is even more of a challenge.

Can you count how many rows and how many positions, e.g. 2 x 24?

Might be able to look up the connector in that same family of products from molex.
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    In your first picture, upper right corner, there are 10 small white squares, on my machine one of those squares is labeled CN1 and another is labeled CN2. I'm wrong on all my information above, sorry.

That cable is even more of a challenge.

Can you count how many rows and how many positions, e.g. 2 x 24?

Might be able to look up the connector in that same family of products from molex.

the top right... isn't the area I am looking at... its middle of the picture.. with the cable still connected...there is a red box around it I painted on in paint prog. but its faint...

I will count up the connectors.. I think it is 12 x 2... 24..
    Last edited by bdayboom; 02-26-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: forgot to add a bit

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok.. Here is a thought.. would the company who made this machine still sell spare parts?

Or is the cable I am looking for anything special? Ie... as long as the connectors fit and it the no. of cables match can I use any cable?

I have counted the cables and there are 2 rows of 20 pins...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    If you want to make your own replacement cables, the connectors used on Sankyo Lumina frames are Molex Microclasp connectors. They're available in the UK from RS, Farnell etc, but you have to buy the housings in packs of 10. RS sells pre-crimped lengths of wire with the correct terminals on the ends, but you'll need to buy the housings separately and assemble them yourself.

can you point me in the direction of where on RS i should be looking... i cant seem to find what i am after... thanks in advance

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok.. thank you to everyone who helped... I have manged to get the cables from RS... and it now has sound again... All I need now is the knob on the front ... and a ton more info on the electronics.. so i get it fully working again..

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I still think your best bet is to find either another complete frame or a complete machine. I keep watching the auctions in Japan for Lumina parts, But nothings turned up yet. A few game processor boards but no frame parts. Might be better to get something like this one, (Super Stadium) and have it shipped.

£Ã£Ò¥Õ¥£¡¼¥Ð¡¼¥¹¥¿¥¸¥¢¥à¡¡ËÜÂÎ - Yahoo!¥ª¡¼¥¯¥·¥ç¥ó

Oh I looked at Ryantigers eva and Loony Tunes desktops, And although they were originally Lumina frame games, These desktops like yours have a Victory psu.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by bdayboom View Post
    Have you gone pin by pin and checked with a DMM for continuity ? you may just have a wire that fractured inside the cabling and you can splice in a new piece. the whole fix should only take you 20 minutes to track it down and fix it..