Thread: Model B "Double Rainbow" restoration challenge

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Talking Model B "Double Rainbow" restoration challenge

This will be my first full vintage restoration. I decided to try my hand at a full restore, but settled on a few things. I decided to update the background a bit but not too fancy. The chrome has some pitting on the shooter tray, but I decided against any re-chrome. I have a chrome frame for the playfield in a bit better shape so will be using that(along with some other misc parts from a model B parts machine). I also decided to keep the clear plastic parts age colored as is but cleaned up to maintain the vintage parts look. As nice as the bulk of the parts looked initially, I am a bit surprised at how a few parts were not in so good shape. The ball launch track looked great until I started to clean it, then the section that is bent at a tight angle just snapped off in my hand. Again, good thing for a parts machine. Other smaller hardware has been a mixed bag of really nice pieces and a few that were quite corroded. It is still a bit daunting and I am amazed at how many bits and pieces there are to clean and put back together and I haven't even touched the spinners or tulips yet. I have almost finished the rear mech parts, shooter tray, lower tray and a couple track sections, and received a new background for the cell from Max(very patient guy - I lost count how many times I asked him to change colors and touch up the rendition of it so it would have the look I wanted) as well as a bag of clean pins(shipped them out before I got my own tumbler). Still a long road ahead, but finally had a little time to get this thread started and post some pics. Here's the machine as I purchased it some time back, some pics of how things are going, and a peak at the new background. I will post more pics as I get further along.

Model B Rainbow Front.jpgModel B Rainbow Rear.jpgOriginal playfield parts and bkgd pulled.jpgRainbow New Background.jpgRainbow cleaned rear parts 1.jpgRainbow shooter tray cleaned.jpgRainbow rear of shooter tray cleaned.jpg
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

2. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Model B "Double Rainbow" restoration challenge

It is amazing how much "detail" work there is that don't cost much...but hog up MUCH VALUABLE time! It don't cost much for a bottle of plastic polish, and some Mothers mag polish...but you will spend HOURS using only a small amount. I have spent many hours doing a VERY thorough cleaning, but no cell replacement...yet. I have 3 very good candidates for cell replacement. Here is the scariest one!cell replacement 002.jpgsingle ball spiderman 006.jpgsingle ball spiderman 002.jpg

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

that is how the power flash looked when i traded it to Chewy for her Frankenpachi project... the good thing is... its not like your messing with a machine tha is playable.. that poor machine is either parts or restoration... no other option
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    the good thing is... its not like your messing with a machine tha is playable.. that poor machine is either parts or restoration... no other option
    Yea, that's like digging into non-working machines or electronics that I know nothing about. What am I gonna do, break it?

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to browne92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    It is amazing how much "detail" work there is that don't cost much...but hog up MUCH VALUABLE time! It don't cost much for a bottle of plastic polish, and some Mothers mag polish...but you will spend HOURS using only a small amount. I have spent many hours doing a VERY thorough cleaning, but no cell replacement...yet. I have 3 very good candidates for cell replacement. Here is the scariest one!
    Redoing the background on that one will be easy (seeing it is already peeling off.) Here is the background. You can find it here Pachinko Background Art

100 machines and counting...

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Took a break on the backfield and started working on the center feature parts. I had the resident painting expert add a some rainbow color to the yellow arch and added some silver leaf for highlights:

Rainbow CF.jpg
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

12. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks great!!!
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cheater! Calling in a ringer to do the painting is totally unfair...simply because I don't have one to call in.

Which parts were the silver leaf done on? If it was the orange pieces, that's some damned precise leafing.

16. The following user says "Thanks" to browne92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The "ringer" is my wife. She has a steadier hand to do the painting part, plus she's the crafty crafter type anyway. The leafing part I did myself, and it's on all 4 of the pieces, but just on the orange and yellow plastic. I wanted the little teardrops on the yellow section to mirror the rainbow colors, so that's where the "ringer came in". It's not quite as hard as it looks to do the leafing with a chisel tip pen type. Mine is made by Krylon and I picked it up as Michael's like this one:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3209913...Types&var=sbar

Quote Originally Posted by browne92 View Post
    Cheater! Calling in a ringer to do the painting is totally unfair...simply because I don't have one to call in.

Which parts were the silver leaf done on? If it was the orange pieces, that's some damned precise leafing.
    Last edited by naha13; 02-18-2013 at 10:06 AM.

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to naha13