Thread: Wiring a vintage machine help needed.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Wiring a vintage machine help needed.

Hey all, I've been working on my Sankyo again and got to the point that I need to add the electronics. Aaaand I got stuck.

I don't get it. I know that's not much to go on but it's like my brain, no matter how hard I try, can't figure out how two switches and two lightbulbs get stuck together to make a lovely blinky blinky.

1) Should I keep the original pieces? They're quite corroded and damaged from the previous owners.
    2) Do I need a fuse if I'm going to be running it off batteries? I may switch it to wall power later but that wont be for quite some time.
    3) Do people care if it has all new wiring? I'm most likely going to just keep the machine for now but If i do decide to sell it would they prefer an original, or a working machine?
    4) I bought two new microswitches, but they have 3 prongs instead of just two. Anyone know how to connect these properly?

So, from the clump of wires, I can see that the positive leads connect to the light bulbs, simple enough. These go through the fuse and connect to the microswitch under the ball hopper on the top.
    But, everything else goes in weird directions and connects all over the place. Is there and easy way to connect them all so I don't have to worry about messing it up? I could just make a replica of the original with all new parts but like i said the microswitches have 3 prongs and I don't understand the difference between the different leads. (Okay, I read something online about these switches and now I'm even more confused ) Also, due to my brain farts I can't seem to follow schematics. I guess trying to self teach myself electronics, something got lost after I started parallel circuits.

Thanks again!

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Alzarakh

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Wiring a vintage machine help needed.

1) The original pieces are usually fine if you clean the contacts with some fine sandpaper.
    2) The fuses were installed because the power was supplied by bus. They did not want one shorted machine to burn out dozens. You only need the fuse to complete the circuit.
    3) I have yet to meet anyone who really cared if the wiring was original or not.
    4) The new switches should come with a diagram. You could always use a meter to figure out which two posts to use.

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Tanks Rival, I looked into the switches a bit more and came up with: Normally Open, Normally Closed, and Common (Ground?) Still a bit confusing to me but atleast I'm getting somewhere.

I did notice that the switch that activated when the seesaw was used is dead, I'll try cleaning the contacts again, if not I'll try new wires. Multimeter showed no volts when it connected. Last effort, I'll replace it

Because I'll only have single machines I'm thinking that I'll remove the fuses for now. Once i get my own place I'll probably make a cabinent with 3 or so in the wall and then link them up. Then fuses would be useful again.

Would it be worthwhile to just make 2 series circuits for either lightbulb? Kind of a different take on it but it would make it super easy with just a mechanical "On/off" switch.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Alzarakh View Post
    Tanks Rival, I looked into the switches a bit more and came up with: Normally Open, Normally Closed, and Common (Ground?) Still a bit confusing to me but atleast I'm getting somewhere.

I did notice that the switch that activated when the seesaw was used is dead, I'll try cleaning the contacts again, if not I'll try new wires. Multimeter showed no volts when it connected. Last effort, I'll replace it

Because I'll only have single machines I'm thinking that I'll remove the fuses for now. Once i get my own place I'll probably make a cabinent with 3 or so in the wall and then link them up. Then fuses would be useful again.

Would it be worthwhile to just make 2 series circuits for either lightbulb? Kind of a different take on it but it would make it super easy with just a mechanical "On/off" switch.
    \

I would be curious to see pictures of these switches. Mine on my vintage machines are all open frame leaf switches that only have 2 connections. True microswitches have 2 or 3 connections, and are completely enclosed so the contacts cannot be cleaned.

Common doesn't denote ground. If the switch is in it's normal state, not being actuated, the N.C. and common will be shorted together. If the switch is being actuated, the N.O. and common connections will be shorted.

A note on fuses. People think fuses are there to protect the equipment. They're really there to protect from the equipment from burning the house down. Usually, when the fuse blows, the equipment is already damaged. If you plan on powering this thing with batteries, you probably don't need the fuse. If you're going to use some sort of line power, you'll want one.

For contact cleaning, I like a burnishing tool when available. GC still makes one, me thinks. It's a little easier on the contacts, especially if they're gold plated (which probably doesn't apply to pachinko). But yes, fine sandpaper will work.

Lastly, what you have there IS two series circuits. They're just a little hard to trace because the way the wires are run.

Good luck!

7. The following user says "Thanks" to browne92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The old microswitch does only have two connectors, the new one has 3.
    The other switch that the seesaw connects is litterally two pieces of thin metal that touch together when it's pushed on the one side. Very crude in design but it may be salvagable.

This is why I was thinking of just replacing them. The second one doesn't seem to contact anymore (pretty sure it's the wires) and the first one doesn't seem to function at all If needed I can put up a picture of the two and the new ones.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

your jackpot switch is a "Leif switch".. i would try and keep that one at all cost.. there super simple and will last forever...
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

About 90% of the time, the leaf switches just need to have the contacts cleaned and adjusted. The other 10% of the time the solder connection to the wire has broken loose. I have fixed dozens with the bad solder connections, and while not exactly fun, it is quite doable.

I can't comprehend any other way for the standard leaf switches in vintage machines to possibly fail. They are stupidly simple.

11. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    . They are stupidly simple.
    I like that
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    They are stupidly simple.
    Or, as I like to call it: Brain Dead Simple

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to browne92