Thread: Custom ball lifter V2 with 3D printer

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Custom ball lifter V2 (with 3D printer)

Ok, first steps are started. I try something with SketchUp program to make another ball lift for Pachinko.
    You have already seen my first project with MDF and copper tube. It's completed, but it's hard to build for many users here.
    Not all users have much skills for it.

Now, i have already seen 3D printers for some time. It's now much improved and costs are lowered, so i have decided to buy one. It's Reprap Prusa Mendel version 2.
    It costs for me less than 500 Euros, and it print very well. And it's open source, thus many software is free.
    After some weeks learning how to build good models, i'm ready for next challenge: make a ball lift with 3D printer.

The good side from 3D printer is that you can build complex models. No more troubles with handwork. And i can make STL files for you, so you can print one for yourself.
    But i can also print parts for you for small fee.

The ball lift will almost same as my previous lift, but the ball-per-minute will much improved because i will try use wormwheel to lift 3 or 4 balls at same time with same motor. The future challenge is even 6 balls at same time, but that might make the lift more vulnerable.

I post the progress here, but the STL files will be available on Thingiverse, the community and sharing site for many 3D models in STL format, because STL is perhaps not possible here.

Let's see what i have started for now with the screenshot.
    The wormwheel is succesfully build as solid model, and i have placed model ball here with 11mm diameter.
    Ball-Lift-V2-01.jpg

2. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to mrdummy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Custom ball lifter V2 (with 3D printer)

Here is example of the lift shaft for 3 balls.
    I make first mini version to test it in real use, to see if it's working and the dimensions are just right or not.
    If it's working, i can proceed to the large lift shaft.

I order soon new motor for the lift shaft so i can test the design.
    Ball-Lift-V2-02.jpgBall-Lift-V2-03.jpgBall-Lift-V2-04.jpg

4. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to mrdummy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ohh nice!

Looking forward to seeing the progress. What material are you going to print with?
    Chris

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If it wasn't for the 2 inch diameter maximum I'd almost think of making the worm part out of wood on a carvewright. I wonder how hard it would be to turn one on a lathe? Printing would be additive, where the carve methods are subtractive, but the carvewright allows stl file imports too (if you buy that part of the software) I've thought about getting a reprap or makerbot.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out for you

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The lift will printed in ABS material. Because my printer has 100mm height, thus lift will be build in small parts. To make lift straight, i will use large metal rods at both sides of the lift to avoid small problems and make it stronger.
    I measured earlier the lift should have 80 cm height.

And i design also container for catching balls in Sketchup.
    I choose one from the site ¼è¤ê°·¤¤¾¦ÉÊ¡¡¡ä¡¡¥³¥ó¥Ô¥å¡¼¥¿¡¦¤½¤Î¾¡Ã¿·ÉÊ¡¦Ãæ¸Å¥Ñ¥Á¥ó¥³¶Ì ÈÎÇ䡦Çã¼è¤ê¡¢¥³¥¤¥óÇã¼è¤ê¡¢¥Ñ¥Á¥ó¥³Ãæ¸ÅÀßÈ÷¡ÃNIIDA

What are the dimensions of a ball container (or hopper what-you-name-the-thing)?

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mrdummy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Okay, Sketchup drawing goes well. I can now show you the almost whole ball path and the ball container.
    Motor is arrived, also 245mm T2.5 belt. With this, i can measure it again and check if the motor will fit in.
    And yes, it fit just enough.

See the screenshots from Sketchup.
    You see different colors. That is where i will print in small parts because my limited printing area.
    The purple plate below is MDF plate with 12mm thickness. Yeah, i will mount the pieces on the plate with small screws.Ball lift v2e-1.jpgBall lift v2e-2.jpgBall lift v2e-3.jpgBall lift v2e-4.jpgBall lift v2e-5.jpgBall lift v2e-6.jpgBall lift v2e-7.jpgBall lift v2e-8.jpg
    The plate is 10x48 cm. That is just enough for this design.
    T2.5 belt is also visible in the screenshot (yellow colored belt).

The motor is same as in first version. It has ~110 rpm. With 3 balls in wormwheel at same time, the lift should have at least 300 balls per minute.
    The torque is around 3 kg/cm and max 9 kg/cm. That is strong enough, and it's very small motor with just 12V / ~300 mA.
    Last edited by mrdummy; 02-01-2013 at 08:40 PM.

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to mrdummy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Now do you have something to cover the blue portions of the track? Otherwise I think balls might pile up and then cause issues with the feed into the screw. It doesn't have to be fancy it could be a piece of plexi-glass that you cut and bolt on top with some spacers in between.

Otherwise it looks good. I can't wait to see your printed parts.

100 machines and counting...

12. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you keep the angle of the ball path low (1-2 degree) the ball pressure will be low and should have low risk the balls will pile up...
    But that goes also for wormwheel. If it's not smooth, then balls will move a bit in both directions.
    The edges are 6mm height; just at half height of the balls. Might raise a bit, but first some small tests...

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mrdummy