Thread: Restoration vs Cleaning

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Restoration vs Cleaning

Hey all! I disappeared for a couple years but now I'm back! So, I was going through the garage and came across my unfinished pachinko. (Sankyo) That I started in 2010, I think I had a post around here but I don't want to bring it back from the dead... I can't remember the specs but off the top of my head; '74 model b? There's pics around here somewhere too or I can take some new ones.

So, should I try and restore my pachinko? Or just clean it up so I can play with it?

I did enjoy finding parts and screws and things that were broken and love the idea of fully redoing a machine. I have about 2 months before work starts up again and I'm going crazy because everyone else is either working or in school. So I need a project again. Enter PACHINKO!

Anywhosit, I'm kinda stuck on what to do with the machine, restoration would be ideal so I could sell it one day, but I think I'm lacking the tools to do such a project. The biggest and most annoying part is the metal. It has pits and corrosion. I cleaned the metal but there's no way to get it all nice and shiny without chroming it again or buffing it I guess. Any ideas? The wood is in pretty good shape, a bit of cleaning and maybe a stain to protect it and it's good to go. Wood is easy enough to replace. All the other parts seem to be there and I have another Sankyo machine that I can rob if I need extra parts.

Sooooo, what do you guys think?

Quick edit, I found my ancient post if you would like pictures of the machine. Might help to decide if I should go all out on it.
    First time pachinko, Need some pointers.
    Last edited by Alzarakh; 01-25-2013 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Link

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Alzarakh

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Restoration vs Cleaning

hear is a link to your first thread...

is this the machine your talking about???

First time pachinko, Need some pointers.

if that were mine i would give it a good cleaning.. there only original once..

there are lots of machines that ahve water stains and are a general dirty mess that are a better candidate

my 2 cents
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would just clean it. It is in pretty good shape so just give it a nice polish.

100 machines and counting...

6. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the responses! So when should I consider restoring a pachinko? As far as I know the one I have is an original. Also, my area has a few for sale, is $100 a good price for the 1970's range ones?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree with Mopar and Max, I would clean it enjoy it. $100 seems a little high to me for an older machine unless it is something special. I woud try to stay in the $40 - $50 range myself however I do not know what the Canadian market is like.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

machines in canada seem to be less common.. so paying a bit more is to be expected..

i would never recomend buying a machine for resale.. find a machine you like and spend what ever ya can afford.. then no matter what your happy..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Alzarakh View Post
    So when should I consider restoring a pachinko?
    When they look like these.

003.jpg009.jpg026.jpg

(Well not so much the first one. It is too far gone, it is parts.)

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good to know. Yeah, it seems that they are fairly rare around here. I'm about an hour away from Vancouver. My dad said they used to have a tonne of them at the PNE (amusement park) when he was a kid so I don't doubt that some of the ones I see are from there. Other than that I see one every few months pop up but some people want up to $250 for them as is. Is there any I should keep my eye out for? I mostly see Nishijin.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For me it would be arrangeball, power flash or a really nice single shot.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Back again! So, after doing some light sanding and cleaning I was going to put my machine back together. I came across my multimeter and the electronic parts and to my horror, it's all pretty much dead. We had a rodent in the garage last winter and it got to the parts :'( The bulbs didn't light anyways but now I need new electronics. The machine wasn't complex at all so I'm not too worried. Also, I can't take them off my other Sankyo because that one has slightly different wires and a fuse.

So... Now that I HAVE to get new ones, do I go LED's or bulbs? I know the switches are carried by my local electronics store and I have LED's. Bulbs shouldn't be too hard to find either.

The Circuit was pretty much 3 bulbs, 2 push style switches and a power source.

Should I add a few more lights now that I can? Any Suggestions? Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Up to you on that one. The only thing I don't like about LEDs is their limited spread of light. So like in the center feautre I would use a regular bulb but for other lights I use an LED. But it is all up to what you like best. Just note that if you do LED bulb combo you need resistors for the LEDs. No matter what you pick it won't affect the value. What will is having lights compared to no lights.

posted using Tapatalk

19. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i typically do full restorations on machines that are in really bad cosmetic shape and/or damaged. in other words, the has machine to justify the large amount of time I put into it. an actual restoration takes a long time but is lots of fun and nothing is more rewarding in this hobby in my opinion. for the typical vintage machine, i'd just pass on it since they're extremely common and find a better one. for you that may not be an option though. as for LEDs, i use them and really like them since they emit little to no heat which is important for the machines i collect. max mentioned the limited throw angle of the light which used to be true but that's not the case anymore. these days LEDs come in every color to include the soft yellow glow of incandescents, known as warm white. plus they come in just about as wide a throw angle of light as you want, you just have to search sites catering to them.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

21. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good to know. I'm not sure if heat would be an issue. I know there made of wood and all but they would only be about 7 volt bulbs. Ideally I wanted to get about 3 machines and make a wall mount for when I get my own place. The LED's I own are probably the less bright ones. They're used for circuit boards and robot projects that I thinker on.

Also, my girlfriend though it would be funny to add sound effects to the different payouts. It could work but I'm not going to do that on this machine.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Alzarakh View Post
    Good to know. I'm not sure if heat would be an issue. I know there made of wood and all but they would only be about 7 volt bulbs. Ideally I wanted to get about 3 machines and make a wall mount for when I get my own place. The LED's I own are probably the less bright ones. They're used for circuit boards and robot projects that I thinker on.

Also, my girlfriend though it would be funny to add sound effects to the different payouts. It could work but I'm not going to do that on this machine.
    heat is not a real issue on a vintage machine like your looking at.. if you have a location where a bulb will be on for a longer period of time then its a problem.. melting the plastic

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As far as I know the switch activates the ball tray being empty and the jackpot. So either way it's not going to be on very long. I've decided going with bulbs, they just have that more retro feel. If the electronics were covered up I would go LED.

26. The following user says "Thanks" to Alzarakh