Thread: Single shot Machine - need help please!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Single shot Machine - need help please!

Hey guys. I've been cleaning things up on this machine and it's starting to work but I have a few questions. Tough for me to explain with words so I made a video!

Question about the Single Shot Pachinko Machine - YouTube

2. The following user says "Thanks" to jodini

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Single shot Machine - need help please!

In essence I have five questions:
    1. What is front lever for?
    2. How does it work with the third light?
    3. How can I remove paint from plastic on back of machine (tried paint thinner...nothing)
    4. How can I remove the rust off the spinners?
    5. What is that center decoration and has it been removed or just need more nails?

So many questions!
    Thanks again guys!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I can answer your first two questions. These single shots machines were designed so if you got two jackpots at the same time, one ball goes to the seesaw and the other goes into that hole (kind of a jackpot waiting area). When it goes in that third light would go on letting you know there is a ball in there. You could then hit that lever on the front and it would send the ball over to the seesaw so you could get your jackpot. I guess at the time they felt the machine might jam if too many balls went to the jackpot at once. Try opening up the glass and dropping two balls in at the same time and see if it works.

5. The following user says "Thanks" to tommy4132

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is a video of your machine working. pachinko - nishijin A single shot seashells - YouTube

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to tommy4132

Thanks
    Thanks Received

SWEET! The contraption works but the light doesn't. I think it's a bad switch...but it looks like the ball itself is what makes the flow of current...can that be right?

So cool how these things work!
    thanks for the video!
    Joe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by jodini View Post
    SWEET! The contraption works but the light doesn't. I think it's a bad switch...but it looks like the ball itself is what makes the flow of current...can that be right?

So cool how these things work!
    thanks for the video!
    Joe
    As you can see in my picture I have a single shot, but mine does not have a light for that overflow jackpot. It sounds like in the video she had the same problem. You might just have to get in there and see exactly how it works. There is probably a switch that just needs the contacts cleaned. Just a guess.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have restored about a dozen singleshots, and I can say that actually getting in there to fix the switch for the light is a pretty major task. You have to pull a ton of parts to get to it. The switches are often "rollover" style, where the ball rolls over one of the leafs pushing it down to make the contact for the light. There are at least 3 different configurations for Nishijins alone though. I think yours might be the one where the ball pushes the leaf forward to make contact though. Either way, it's the same process to repair it. Fortunately, I tend to do complete tear-downs and rebuilds, so I have it all disassembled already so it's just a matter of making sure everything is working right as I install it. I would hate to pull all that apart just to do a 5 second adjustment to a switch.

To answer a few other questions from the video, for spinners I generally clean them, sand them, primer them, and repaint them. As far as spring tension for the launcher, they are not designed to make them go around a bunch of times. This is, believe it or not, a game of skill. A good shot would only go to the top and drop down, a failed shot would go all the way past the top, down around the right, and then go down the drain. Some machines add bumpers to bounce them back, some did not.

What many people don't know about singleshots is that you can put in two or even three balls at once and fire them with the correct spring tension. That is what led to the addition of the jackpot "waiting room" you are having issues with. When shooting multiple balls at once, it is not unusual to get two simultaneous jackpots. This jammed up the mechs in older machines, so they added the waiting room to solve the issue.

PS: That paint is near impossible to get off. I use an Xacto knife and 30X glasses to remove it without damaging the plastic. It will actually flake off it you do that carefully... very carefully.
    Last edited by Rival; 02-02-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    PS: That paint is near impossible to get off. I use an Xacto knife and 30X glasses to remove it without damaging the plastic. It will actually flake off it you do that carefully... very carefully.
    You might also try soaking it in simple green (diluted in a little water) and then taking an old toothbrush and scrubbing really hard.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There are two kinds of paint strippers available from your basic home improvement store, one that works in about 15 minutes and removes "paint, epoxy, and polyester" and one that works in 30 minutes and just says "removes paint". I WOULD NOT try the first one. I've been using it to strip the 100 layers of paint off the race car body work, and if I'm not careful, it will eat the fiberglass. You might want to try the second one, but only after testing on a small inconspicuous place to see if it damages the plastic.

Is it the back of the spinners you are trying to clean? The fronts looked pretty good. Wonder how masking off the fronts and running them through my sand blaster would work...

Neat machine! Enjoy!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Congrats...I have two single balls and in some ways dig them more than multi shots...
    "We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of the dreams"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey guys!

First off, out of the machines we have, my son loves the single shot! And yes, it does feel like it takes more skill to do it. I've but some multiple balls in there and that's been fun too! 4 has been the max! Two and three is about right!

On the paint removal, I got off what I need and going to enjoy the machine. Can't tell from the front how back it is and since it's in a case...no one knows!
    It's one of my favorite machines too!
    Joe

15. The following user says "Thanks" to jodini

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I dig the single shots so much had to snap a couple pictures and post mine,
    It's working are a bit like yours with the recycled "crapper" balls, ( I love that feature ) on mine if the lower hopper gets low the top hopper helps it out of the top hopper gets low it blocks the flipper and lights a light, the center light is for jackpots and then mine has a light for "waiting room" balls, ( cool name for that and great song by Fugazi )
    The switch for that waiting room light on mine would be a bear to get at on mine, mine is the normal contact switch seen in many vintage units,

I got this one from a local fellow said his dad brought it back and it was time to pass it on, it has a back case type thing made for it, the tray that cuts off the flipper if the hopper goes empty had a broken solder joint, someone rigged it in a way that it would never work right again, until I fixed it right.

My front on this one of mine is a bit sterile my wife thinks it looks all industrial, it only has the one tulip,
    This one will loop a ball about 3 times and shoot 2 at a time well my other one will loop 5 times and shoot 3-4 balls.

I have no idea why I dig playing these so much.

ss front.jpgss back.jpg

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to The13bats

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very pretty man! Wish my playing field looked as bright as yours! Very nice!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by jodini View Post
    Very pretty man! Wish my playing field looked as bright as yours! Very nice!
    Thanks for the kind words, A lot of that is camera flash and washout, it is a dull silver aluminum color in person,
    For a long time I assumed these would be boring and never looked at or played one.