Thread: Got a new model "A" pachinko...have questions???

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Got a new model "A" pachinko...have questions???

Ok Guys, I have collected moderns until this point. I got my first vintage which is a Nishijn model A machine. Picked it up locally for 20 bucks. The machine needs a lot of cleaning but works just fine. Question I have is what kind of paints do you use to touch up the plastics? Also the printed art on the laminated playfield unfortunately but have been sitting in sunlight because it is just a white playfield with barely noticeable artwork is there any suggestions to put art back on? Also one more question. The Chrome frame around the glass has been painted with silver paint probably because of rust and pitting ( this is just a guess) What do you guys do to fix this? Not looking to rechrome the machine as it would not be cost effective.

I can post pics later if needed.

Thanks!!!

Biohazard
    Enter the Matrix, Star Wars, Eva 6, Gladiator Evolution, Spiderman 3, Superman Returns, Planet of the Apes, The Mask, Indiana Jones.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Got a new model "A" pachinko...have questions???

I've never painted any myself, and I'm sure the Vintage guys will no doubt post with their recommendations

but in the meantime, this was an interesting old thread where painting was discussed:

how to repaint the depressed areas on plastic?
    Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

3. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by awassig View Post
    Ok Guys, I have collected moderns until this point. I got my first vintage which is a Nishijn model A machine. Picked it up locally for 20 bucks. The machine needs a lot of cleaning but works just fine. Question I have is what kind of paints do you use to touch up the plastics? Also the printed art on the laminated playfield unfortunately but have been sitting in sunlight because it is just a white playfield with barely noticeable artwork is there any suggestions to put art back on? Also one more question. The Chrome frame around the glass has been painted with silver paint probably because of rust and pitting ( this is just a guess) What do you guys do to fix this? Not looking to rechrome the machine as it would not be cost effective.

I can post pics later if needed.

Thanks!!!
    Which do you enjoy more? Modern or Vintage? or are they like children, you love them all the same...

You can use plastic model paint, think the brand is Testors, there was a multi color set of little bottles with screw on lids at Hobby Lobby.
    Usually thin it down slightly, depends on the part. Hobby Lobby also has some super fine disposable applicators, look like a white plastic tooth pick with a tiny sponge on the end.

You can remove the screws on the door frame and replace with 3/4" #4, sand or iron wool the frame, and spray paint.
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

5. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I like the vintage for some of the designs and mechanical aspects, but Moderns have a real attraction with lights music and video like no other.

Thank you for your input.
    Biohazard
    Enter the Matrix, Star Wars, Eva 6, Gladiator Evolution, Spiderman 3, Superman Returns, Planet of the Apes, The Mask, Indiana Jones.

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to awassig

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Please do post some pictures when you get a chance.

For painting plastics I use enamel paints (I use 1 Shot specifically. But it isn't cheap unless you need to do many machines.) I would recommend going to your local hobby store and just getting the Testors paint Carl mentioned.

As for the background art you can completely replace it. It is a little tricky to do the first time but not impossible. I have done many playfield replacements. You have to basically strip the machine bare, front and back, then you have to pull off the back board and peel up the old background. Typically most people replace it with a vinyl car wrap material; that way it doesn't really fade or attract moisture. There are many reproduction backgrounds that members have made and already printed on vinyl, but be aware the cost around $45 each as they aren't that cheap to print. (I actually need to run off a few myself in the next week or so.)

As for the chrome. Well it sounds like it is gone; and if you don't want to replate it painting is about your only choice. I would actually recommend powder coating but it might be a little impracticable to do just one frame. So just sand it down to bare metal and then pick a color you think will look good and spray it on. (I would stay away from metallic paints as they aren't that shiny and they ware off over time.)

100 machines and counting...

9. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Also the printed art on the laminated playfield unfortunately but have been sitting in sunlight because it is just a white playfield with barely noticeable artwork is there any suggestions to put art back on?
    You can buy reproduction background art... mind you, it means basically dissembling the entire machine and removing the pins, etc... here's where I picked up the back for my in-progress Nishijin B restore: Pachinko machine replacement backgrounds
    Woof!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow replacing the background art would be cool. Do you have any pictures of the artwork before it is installed? Also what is the best way to remove and reinstall the parts on the playfield? I.E. Nails, ball tracks, tulips etc?

Thanks again for your input!
    Biohazard

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Chumsize View Post
    You can buy reproduction background art... mind you, it means basically dissembling the entire machine and removing the pins, etc... here's where I picked up the back for my in-progress Nishijin B restore: Pachinko machine replacement backgrounds
    Yes you have member Rivals site that you posted.

And member Cardwwi's site.
    Pachinko Background Art

I'm not trying to increase anyone's sale over the others; but I like member Cardwwi's backgrounds better. As they are printed on 3M material and it lays down so nice. I have been looking for someone local who carries that so I can print mine on it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow replacing the background art would be cool. Do you have any pictures of the artwork before it is installed? Also what is the best way to remove and reinstall the parts on the playfield? I.E. Nails, ball tracks, tulips etc?

Thanks again for your input!
    That depends what pictures you want. Pics of the background as a whole or as it installed on the machine?

Here if you want you can see what it takes to completely restore a machine. 1973 Nishijin Model B (Lone Star (Fish)) - YouTube That one I did for a guy locally. It came out looking great. (Also note the background is from member Cardwwi's site.)

Everyone has their own ways of doing things to pull things out and replace them. I use a modified corkscrew to pull the nails. I tumble them with walnut shell and put them back in using a brass headed hammer. The track, I cut the wires on the back side, pull up the track using prybars (small ones of course) and put it back in using safety wire and staple it to the back so it won't come out. The playfield parts I do the same as the pins (except I use prybars and screw drivers to get them out)

14. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

there's pics on the website... and I bought the e-book they have to "lern me some resteratin"... though If you search youtube, you'll find some things - I think by a member here. I let him post them, though.

Aaannd... while I was writing this, he responded. There you go!
    Woof!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    Yes you have member Rivals site that you posted.
    D'oh! I wish I'd known that before I spent my money elsewhere. OF COURSE I'd prefer support the member's site!

Still not sure if I'll use the one I bought - wanted an exact replacement... but the "PAC" one is soooo boring... SO maybe mosey over to Cardwwi's...
    Woof!