Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My take on a pachinko wall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default My take on a pachinko wall

I'm working on something similar to what Denhomer is doing. His pages are here and here

So far I have picked up eight 8ft 2x4s, cut each to 56" 19" and 17" with a teeny bit of scrap left over. Then pocketholed the 19" and 17" ones, screwed them into the 56" ones and called it done for now. Trying to decide if I want to put the pachinkos on top as stand alone pachinkos each in their own frame, or if I want to go frameless and attach the pachinkos directly to the base.

Also not sure yet if I'm going to do a ball mover and get the card readers, or just leave them the way they are with manual ball lifts and drawers... or a ramp to put the balls down at one end. I've spent less than a day cutting/drilling/gluing/claming/fastening. Quite a bit less than a day if you subtract out the time I spent looking for where I left my cordless drill or trying to locate the chuck key for the corded drill.

PachiWall00Plans1.jpgPachiWall01.jpgPachiWall02_11ft7inWide.jpgPachiWall03_20in_from_floor.jpgPachiWall04_26in_front_to_wall.jpgPachiWall05_FrameBoardsCut.jpgPachiWall06_Drilled.jpgPachiWall07_PocketHoles.jpgPachiWall08_Frames.jpg

2. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

4. The following 11 users say "Thanks" to doa12

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My take on a pachinko wall

Looking good..Can't wait to see more!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

6. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks like you off to good start. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think the next step will be to take a pachinko machine or two up there just to see how it could work with them frameless. It's on the 3rd floor so procrastinating due to the amount of effort involved I actually didn't do it sooner as I didn't want them in the way when doing the main framework, as they could get bumped from my clumsiness.

I also noticed Denhomer has diagonal braces on his base. While I was thinking on more perpendicular braces midway I wasn't really planning on diagonals. I think mine will eventually have end caps for skin which should pretty much take the place of diagonal braces. The base height is a convenient 20" so when/if I get my carver fixed I should be able to make pretty end caps, and then biscuit them to the frames.

10. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Took just Thunderbirds up the other day, then took a few more up tonight and lined them up. I'm not sure what the 5th will be yet, and it seems there would indeed be room for 6 if I didn't do separate cabinets on the thing for each. Still thinking on ball returns and such, the idea of using a sloping gutter contraption to take all the balls for the row to one spot is kind of appealing. Then at a later time I can devise a mechanism to take those balls back up to the top.

PachiWall14_TB1.jpgPachiWall15_TB2.jpgPachiwall16_TB3.jpgPachiWall17_4row1.jpgPachiWall18_4row2.jpgPachiWall19_CC_Full.jpgPachiWall20_TB_Full.jpgPachiWall21_P2_Full.jpgPachiWall22_BB_Full.jpg
    Last edited by doa12; 01-10-2013 at 11:18 PM. Reason: I can't count past 5 on one hand...

12. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to doa12

14. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looking at http://akimono.com/test.php?num=Card...der%20Emulator I could get 4 individual readers and 2 bundles for not too bad, that would be 6 readers and 6 cards. Then work out an installation method to put the card readers nearby. Looking over at Pachinko Card Reader Emulator Unit by Pinball Dave I see some of the machines I have represented with cards. Checking wtih Akimono to see if all they have is blanks or if the image ones are available. Anyway...

At the moment I have: *=CR, <=planned for wall
    Indiana Jones *
    Milky Bar
    Nishijin A (has its own upright cabinet)
    Avantgarde *
    Charlie Chaplin *<
    Batman Begins *<
    Popeye 2 *<
    Thunderbirds *<
    Bungee Jump
    Yellow Cab *
    Tom and Jerry *<

After looking at the cards and seeing that they have Avantgarde, Yellow Cab and Indy images available, I'm rethinking on the ones I'll have on the wall. My original thought was the ones I have up there now which makes 5 (my original number until I half decide to go cabinetless which gives room for 6 so the Tom and Jerry is the extra). I was going to keep the Indy and Avantgarde to use as side machines on a MAME cabinet. That was before I got the Yellow Cab so the side machines will likely be the Avantgarde and the Yellow Cab now.

Picked up more lumber for the upper section of the wall rack that will hold the pachinkos. Got a new 1500va AVR UPS along with 6 higher gauge individual power extension cords that came in yesterday, going with good cords rather than just the standard multi-end extension cords. The UPS is one that has the LCD readout so you can see how much juice you are actually using. The UPS will be my power switch for the items on wall as well as protect them from surges and spikes.

Still pondering a ball feed system. Had thoughts of a conveyor/scoop type lift system with ramps to take the balls to each machine... still thinking.

16. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I got slowed down on it. I was going to work on it two nights ago, my first step was plugging in the UPS, and cords just to see how much juice they were using. The brand new UPS was going nuts when I plugged it in, the LCD panel was flashing on and off. I checked the circuit and it seems the polarity is swapped in that outlet, but that shouldn't have caused the UPS to go nuts. I tried a different properly wired outlet and it still did the same thing. While I still need to correct the wall outlet wiring, the UPS didn't give me a reason it was going like that. I checked online with no good reason I could see. I could turn the UPS on, it would flash, I would press the 'display' button to switch the stats display and it would come on without flashing for 3-5 seconds showing that the battery was fully charged and that the voltage was correct... then it would blip the power back off to things and start flashing again. Took the battery out and inspected it, plugged it back in, thought maybe the connections had come loose but same issue.

I had an email written up to the manufacturer and thought that maybe since it was a UPS with AVR, that it needed juice in the battery to level out the sine wave. I felt kind of bad doing it, but I left it plugged in and off overnight as it should charge even if not on. The panel had said it was at 100% battery juice each time before it started flashing. The next morning I went up and turned it on, no flashing, the battery showed 24% juice. So even though it said in the instructions it was ready to use when it arrived, the battery arrived dead which is NOT good on a sealed lead acid battery. I know other UPSes I have, I have had to open up and either connect the battery or flip the battery around so the contacts connect (APC has that on some of theirs) But I've never had one arrive with no juice. You'd think they would have it in the troubleshooting that the whole panel will flash if the battery is dead-dead. After arriving home last night from work, the battery was fully charged.

Plugged 4 of the machines in to it, it says it's using about 24% of the power for the 4 machines and will provide 20-23 minutes of juice if the power goes out. I was really more concerned with spikes/surges so like the AVR feature more than the power backup feature. Power used with 4 on varied a bit from .197Kw to .216Kw

PachiWall28_4KWH1.jpgPachiWall29_4OnUPS1.jpg

I did remeasure for the uprights between machines. Next time I work on it I plan to cut some lumber for them.

18. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Middle cube was done last weekend. If my floor was completely level I think it would line up a bit better, but... it is what it is I don't think it'll be too bad once I get completely done. I don't know if anyone is really interested in the minute piecing together pictures but I'll include a few in case someone is.
    PachiWall30_CenterCubeCuts.jpgPachiWall31_SidesPocketHoled.jpgPachiWall33_Corner1a.jpgPachiWall34_Corner1b.jpgPachiwall35_Corner1c.jpgPachiWall38_CubeSides.jpgPachiWall39_CubeDone.jpgPachiWall40_CubeIn.jpgPachiWall41_FourRow.jpg

Still need to ponder my uprights and ball feed system. Ordered 6 card reader bundles to start so once those come in I'll try to figure out spacing I'll need for those to work.

===

However I have a new dilema which I didn't think about before. How bad is atomized glycol fog on Pachinkos and the balls? I'm wondering if I'll have to discontinue using the fog machine in that room which is a bit of a bummer because the lasers and lights that are already in there look cooler in a room that has fog. I've never really had any glycol buildup on windows/carpet/walls, and I haven't noticed an issue with the pachislo up there, but the tokens I have for it aren't going to rust.

20. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by doa12 View Post
    I don't know if anyone is really interested in the minute piecing together pictures but I'll include a few in case someone is.
    Pictures show progress. And progress is always good to see and record.

100 machines and counting...

22. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looking better and better. Really have no idea about the effects of the fog machine on the pachis. I will be curious though as I will be adding laser lights to my game room this year and had contemplated fog as well.

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've got an older Rover II in addition to some laser theaters. The Rover II is still bulb, they've discontinued it and the new Rover II is LED. THe bulb is about $11, so not tragic if it needs replaced and mine hasn't been used enough to go through a bulb yet. It's cool the way it rotates, changes direction, and colors with sound. I'm wondering how it will look with all the pachinkos going.

I guess my stuff is too old. I went to look up my lasers (Limate LV-700), and no place has them anymore either. When I got it, there were dozens of places selling them and all had videos.

This is the newer Rover, I think mine has a bulb and gobbos rather than straight LEDs so the dots aren't all circles, and I believe my barrel mirror does not have as many angles on it.

I'll likely get new lights.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've also been looking at lighted flooring. From a different seller, tiles similar to these run about $4k for 10 square meters (ten 1meter x 1meter tiles)

I'm kind of mixed up there... Pirate bar and lights on one end with mini-barrels of gold (tokens for the pachislo) and then I'm doing the lights and pachinkos all flashy at the other end.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very cool!

You will definitely need to post a video of your room in action.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The floor will be a ways off. I'm looking at 'new' transporation too, new being new to me, not new-new. I currently have a saturn wagon which is fine for most stuff and some hauling, but it's not so easy to put 4x8 sheets of things in it to bring home to make things.

Since my depth front to back is 26" on that (19"+3.5"+3.5") I can get a few sheets of 4x8 ply ripped to 26" then notch out the uprights on it to make the 'floor' of the cabinets. The length ended up 11.5 ft, and the height is about 19.75 (17"+1.x"+1.x") So out of a single 4x8 sheet ripped to 26", I can then rip the remainder to 17 minus whatever thickness I decide to use for the ply since the smaller dimension will be internal to it (the interior back) At this point I'm guessing 2 sheets should do most of it. I am leaning toward the bottom in rather than leaving it open to the carpeted floor. That will make it easier to get things in and out of. The base will be used for storage, likely all those homeless games.

I'm still planning on adding more 19" and 17" supports rather than just having them at the corners. My dad always says I don't need to get as large of dimensions for frames as I do, but I would rather have things able to hold more weight than I put on them, than for them to collapse because I skimped a little. I may also need to backweight it, again, not that I likely need to, just because I don't want it tipping. I guess I could affix it to the walls or something, but I'd rather not.

29. The following user says "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

my brother always builds everything with 2 by 4's

he wants it to last
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    my brother always builds everything with 2 by 4's

he wants it to last
    But... what about the 4x4s I already purchased?

Really, that's what I was planning on using downstairs for what I put in the dining room.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My wall building is being delayed. I picked up a new toy hauler that I am tweaking. Brought home a 2006 StarTrans Ford Senator on Friday. However this will also help with my pachinko wall, as in addition to being able to bring home larger/longer materials (looking forward to using the lift for heavy stuff), I am also replacing the 16 non-reclining seats with reclining seats. The new seats came in today, and I will likely start swapping them out soon.

I plan to put the old non-reclining seats on pedestal/legs like barstools and such, to use for my pachinko wall. I may get some lazy susans for them so that they can swivel, they have them at most stores with sporting good sections in the boat/fishing area. Nothing wrong with the current seats other than they don't recline. I think the pachinko seatcover I have for Tom and Jerry will fit right on those.

Bus04.JPG

We also carried the Tom and Jerry up to the 3rd floor, person helping me didn't know how I got the others up there without help. But the Tom and Jerry I think is the heaviest machine I have.
    Last edited by doa12; 02-12-2013 at 12:25 AM.

33. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It looks and sounds as if you have a lot of things going on, with some big plans in the work.

Hope it all comes together for you.

Tom and Jerry is the heaviest machine I have ever picked up. It's like picking up two machines. Must be all that entertainment they built into it.
    What if...​the ​HOKEY POKEY, is what it's all about?

35. The following user says "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast