Thread: Just received a 1973 Nishijin

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Just received a 1973 Nishijin

So I was given a 1973 Nishijin Super DX "swing" model. No pics at the moment. But I wanted to ask is it considered good form to restore to vintage colors? I'm thinking about taking up the restoration of this thing as a project, but that 70's color palette is a major turn off. I'd love to give a black backer board, but so far I haven't see any of these things with "custom" graphics, just full original restorations. I don't want to be black balled from a community I'm just about to be joining

-Emmett

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Doragonshi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well some people do custom backgrounds but sometimes if you do something too specific it can degrade value. I just finished a machine that I put a custom background on. (Use the link in my signature to see some pics of it) I don't know why you want to do a solid black background, but to each his own. All in all if you do a background that looks good on the machine you shouldn't hurt the value much.

Can you do us a favor and please post some pics of your machine when you get a chance. We just love to look at all the machines.

posted using Tapatalk

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Just recieved a 1973 Nishijin

Will do, my wife's asleep and the camera is hidden somewhere in our bedroom... Don't want to go digging around right now. Wasn't thinking solid black, maybe even keep the 'pac' design it has but change the colors to something more palatable. Hmmm, my phone camera is pretty crappy but I could get some pics posted quicker by using that.

5. The following user says "Thanks" to Doragonshi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, coaxed my camera back to life, trust my wife to have it in the right spot so I didn't have to go digging!
    IMGP1323.jpg
    It's in bad need of a cleaning, and that backer board is really water damaged.
    IMGP1328.jpg
    The lights work, except for the 'empty hopper' one. Used the alligator clips to clip it to a 9v battery. Also one of the switches came unglued. This didn't seem to affect the light in any way so I'm guessing the bulb is burnt out.
    IMGP1329.JPG
    This is the chute in the lower right corner, somebody melted it off, I'm hoping this won't affect the game at all. I haven't tested it to see if the tulips are in working condition yet, I've only got a few hundred balls and I need to sort out the hopeless ones.

I'll probably keep restoration to just cleaning until after the holidays, then I'll have some petty cash to blow on making this thing look nice!

7. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Doragonshi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

glad ya posted pics, would hate to find ya and modified a rear or unusual machine.. Looks like a great candidate for a custom.. another member from Seattle did a custom of a "B" movie.. the 50ft woman or something like that (Ill see if i can find that thread)

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

this is one thread but it looks like he never posted the final pictures..

Single shot restoration progress

a bit more

Late 50s restoration - sacrilege?

see if this inspires ya
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Forgot my manners earlier. (couldn't tell you just joined from my phone cause it doesn't show that info.)

So to Pachitalk!

I don't know if you would consider it but instead of using a dark color background to make it pop I would suggest using a dark color frame to make the white background pop (it still needs to be replaced though) I have learned that the more basic the background the better it tends to look. Also IMO I have sorta disliked dark background because the machines are suppose to be fun and playful so I try to play off all the colors when I redo a background. I take what ever color seems to be most common on the front or which one I would like to accent to make stand out (usually the center) then I design a background with that color pallet and use a few contrasting colors in it. (I just realizing that I'm giving away some of my trade secrets. but who cares as long as it helps someone else.)

Your machine should function properly with that chute cut like that. I think the reason why someone did that was so the loose balls would shoot father out the chute so they could have a bigger bin back there. If you don't want that to happen you could possibly glue on another strip of plastic but I don't really see a need why you must do that.

100 machines and counting...

11. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So my wife woke up and I got to play with it, the flipper is quite responsive and easily shoots the balls to the far right (too easily, I couldn't get one midfield but my wife did it multiple times in a row). The tulips and side pockets are working correctly! However, it isn't paying out correctly. I can't figure out why... I managed to trigger a few through random jiggling of levers on the back. A lot of the springs are unresponsive and rusted or it might just be gunk, it's got caked on dirt from years of storage. Some of the balls were getting stuck in the loser chute.

So I've got a fun new project I can't put any money into yet >.<

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, thanks for the welcome! My wife woke up and I immediately took the time to pour the balls in and play around for a bit. The launch lever is very responsive. Thankfully all the tulips and side pockets are working correctly. However the big let down is pay offs aren't working correctly I managed to set a few off by randomly jiggling levers around on the backside, but I couldn't get it to set off consistently. I think it either has to do with some worn out, rusted springs. Or, it's just incredibly dirty. Some balls were getting jammed here and there, but mostly in the same spot or two.

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!!

Welcome..There's noting wrong with doing a custom background..I've seen a few cool customs posted over the years..Can't wait to see what you come up with!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

in your pics above you have a bit of a ball jam.. did ya get that cleared??

please take a min and post a new picture of the back..

if ya have not seen this post there is a video of your style of machine.. I did not learn anything from it but others have found it helpfull..

Model B Video

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Just received a 1973 Nishijin

Welcome to PachiTalk!

Looking forward to seeing how you progress with the machine.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Don't have a new picture but that video did help me clear the ball jam, still isn't giving out jackpots and will sometimes jam back up in the same spot. Nothing new yet, but didn't have much time today due to work.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh, I must be out of moderation phase now, sorry for the double post above. I didn't know about the moderation during new account status.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the machine will jam up if you don't have enough balls in the top hopper..

how many balls to ya have total???

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks like a great project Doragonshi
    If you enjoy my pachinko, pinball and pachislo YouTube videos, please "like" them at:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SirSteveFury

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Woohoo! It works! all the features are working properly (center opens tulips etc...) and all are reporting jackpots. Giant thank you to Moparformances! Your video let me find all the snags that were keeping the jackpots from reporting properly. Still not sure if I'm going to do a custom background but I'm going to be building a cabinet soon-ish. The rest of the restoration is still on hold till after the holidays.

23. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Doragonshi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Doragonshi View Post
    Woohoo! It works!
    Giant thank you to Moparformances!

that's why were here... glad to help

25. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Although I have never done a restoration with a custom background, I don't really see any reason not to if you intend on keeping it. Also, a note about black backgrounds: When I used Black for some of the areas of my 3-clovers restoration, the contrast between the black background and the bright nails was astounding. It was a very cool effect, and I have always kept in the back of my mind the idea of doing a fully gloss-black background. On the right machine it would probabaly look pretty radical.

27. The following user says "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Congratulations on getting the machine up and working. I think a glossy black background with shiny nails would look really cool. The tulips and center feature will help break it up some. Definitely looking forward to see what you come up with.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ