Thread: Sankyo ball shooter motor check question

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Sankyo ball shooter motor check question

The ball shooter on my Fever The King is not working. It appears someone may have already tried to open up the motor assy. but not 100% sure.
    Is there a way to measure the pin connector on the motor connector to see if the motor is "ok"? I would assume resistance.
    At this point I am unsure where the issue is but I suspect the motor may be bad as it was loose when I purchased the unit.
    Thanks for any input as I'm usually an arcade guy and this is my 1st electronic pachinko.
    BTW, if anyone has parts hanging around I would be interested.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sankyo ball shooter motor check question

Welcome to pachitalk! !!
    Any pictures you can post would be handy
    But from your description it might not be messed up at all if you missing a CR dongle bypass,

if you look on the lower back area you will find what looks like a printer port, this is where the card reading system hooks up to your machine,
    if there is nothing plugged into it,this will cause the motor to not function(normally there would be a CR bypass dongle)

heres is Daverobs webpage with information on these

Pachinko Pre-paid Card and Card Reader Unit History and Technical Information by Pinball Dave

hopefully this helps
    DMinor アルファマイナー Coo coo for kenrimonos!

3. The following user says "Thanks" to alphaminor

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When I thought my ball shooter was broken , it ended up being that you have to have your finger on the metal ring (to complete ground) to activate it after turning the knob!

I didn't know this with my first machine and found out here on the forums...I am still new at this but if you are too maybe its as simple as that?

5. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Pincade

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Appreciate the links and suggestions. I should have mentioned that I had already checked the dongle, fuses, and read through Pinball Dave's documents as well as quite a few others.
    What I would like to be able to do is to verify if the motor is bad or good. There are 5 gray wires and 1 white wire that comes from the motor. Not sure how these are connected internally in the motor, so was trying to get an idea.
    I'm not home at this time so I can't take any pics until later tonight but I will try to get those uploaded.
    I'm open to any other ideas...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You can always start by measuring the impedance through the wires to the motor see which pairs are low and high. Then check the wires going into the shooter knob with the knob released, then twisted to full... grounded... ungrounded. All with the unit off. Just to see if you can figure out any logic that way. And then have someone with the same type of shooter measure their's in the same way - see if yours is busted, and what part is busted - knob or motor???

just a thought... That's what I'd do if I had absolutely nothing else to go on and didn't want to start disassembling stuff.
    Woof!

8. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Chumsize

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'll try to get some time to measure out the motor tonight. I checked the knob grounding previously and it was OK.
    Here's a pic of the motor. No markings or identifying labels left on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. The following user says "Thanks" to bluestreak

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Usually these type of stepper motors are two centre-tapped windings, so that they can be wired up to either a unipolar driver, or a bipolar driver circuit.

So if you check the resistance/impedance on a multimeter you'll see one set of three wires will buzz out together, and the other set of three will buzz out together, but there will be no connection/reading between the two sets of three.

I'd expect the connector to be wired so that pin 2 gives a low resistance to pin 1 and roughly the same resistance to pin 3. There should be no connection between pin 2 and pins 4,5,6. Pin 5 gives a similar low resistance to pin 4 and pin 6, with no connection to pins 1,2,3.

If the resistance measurements are OK and consistent, then it's likely that the motor is electrically fine. As far as mechanical tests go, I just rotate the spindle by hand. It should rotate freely, with a slight 'cogging' resistance felt as it moves past it's steps (usually every 7-12 degrees). If you feel more resistance to movement at a certain point than there is around the rest of the rotation, then there's probably a fault with the motor. If it feels pretty much the same around the full 360 degrees, then it should be good.

12. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Daverob.
    Measurments ended up close to your estimation. Posting my results but I believe now there are bigger issues that could be affecting the motor issue. I noticed I do not even have the dash (-) on the numeric fault indicator on the payout control board so I think I have a bit of troubleshooting to do. From what I've read I believe it should be showing the dash or some type of error if there was one.
    From the measurements I believe the motor to be fine and the motor turns easily.
    Here's the measurement results in case anyone else can use them... (W is the white wire on the connector and measurements are in Ohms)
    shooter pinout.jpg
    Last edited by bluestreak; 12-11-2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: attach pic

14. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to bluestreak

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Shooter knob no longer the issue so closing.

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to bluestreak