Thread: Taiyo Challenge Ball

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Taiyo Challenge Ball

This arrived today in fine shape. Had a couple of burned bulbs, dirty token insert micro switch, and general grime.
    Anyway, this machine was built in Sept of '84 which is the same year as my other more "advanced" Taiyos with spinning LED numbers, sound effects, etc. However, the various mechs look much older in design and execution. Yet another interesting aspect that will probably remain unexplained.
    So the machine of course has the typical center matrix but it is a 5X4 arrangement as opposed ro the much more common 4X4 because several of the numbers repeat. Atop the matrix are 3 pass thru pockets colored red, white, and blue. The red and white add 1 to their respective horizontal line and the blue adds 2 to its line. There's also a bonus pocket which lights 3 numbers at the push of the button. If its not used, it carries over to the next game. The two too pockets pay out a coin immediately and the bottom two return the balls to the shooter.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

2. The following 14 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Taiyo Challenge Ball

I love the tulip designs Looks fantastic
    Ian #UKPachinko

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

YOWZA!!

There is always another machine around the corner...

6. The following user says "Thanks" to candyflip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Beautiful machine, congratulations.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice.

You should have some fun with this one.

Looks like a wonderful machine.

100 machines and counting...

10. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Doing the usual tear down and cleaning. Pulled the pocket off and noticed this design which I hadn't seen before. Has a small bearing about 2/3 the size of a pachinko ball housed in clear plastic behind on the rear of the pocket. It partially enters a plastic piece that rotates about 30 degrees each time a ball enters. As the ball goes in and the tulips either open or close, this part rotates and exposes one of two concave areas that the ball then enters. Not sure what the reason is but I think it's to more firmly hold the tulip in whatever state it's in so that a ball merely bumping into the sides of the petals doesn't open or close them. Just a guess though.

12. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Tulip-lip ballast?
    Woof!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    Doing the usual tear down and cleaning. Pulled the pocket off and noticed this design which I hadn't seen before. Has a small bearing about 2/3 the size of a pachinko ball housed in clear plastic behind on the rear of the pocket. It partially enters a plastic piece that rotates about 30 degrees each time a ball enters. As the ball goes in and the tulips either open or close, this part rotates and exposes one of two concave areas that the ball then enters. Not sure what the reason is but I think it's to more firmly hold the tulip in whatever state it's in so that a ball merely bumping into the sides of the petals doesn't open or close them. Just a guess though.

sound like a 2 or 3 hit tulip.. Im working one a customers Pachinko right now and it has a 3 hit tulip in the play field.. ill be making a post and vid of it once i get it cleaned up and working again... but i have not seen a tulip with a ball in it???
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Me either but its a one hit tulip. One ball opens or closes and the next changes that. Only other machine I have with this same tulip at least from its frontal appearance is the taiyo paper-rock-scissors. It may also have the captive ball in the rear but there's opaque plastic covering it.
    Last edited by emmadog; 12-07-2012 at 09:46 PM.

16. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thats pretty cool..

Maybe they were just trying to make it different to get around a patent or something??

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Finally hung this machine on the wall and I'm in the process of cleaning and doing a little restoration work. Mainly just a couple of things such as the pockets. The paint on the storks was faded and missing in spots. It's interesting how the paint deteriorates over time. I've seen this before where it looks almost like the paint evaporates from the center out. No uneven flaking jut like a puddle slowly drying up. Anyway, the stork bodies were fancier than normal because metallic red and blue paint was used. I didn't retr0bright or repaint the tulip bodies to preserve the raised chrome edges. They're still in excellent shape. Also, I don't know where I got a manufacture date of '84 as posted above. There's 51-9 in the usual place on Taiyos so its a 1976 machine. This makes much more sense.
    Also a ball in the top two pockets lights the number 1 in addition to paying out.a coin.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361162863.793152.jpg

19. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Another cosmetic improvement. The machine didn't have the lower placard that covers the numbered pockets and well, denotes the number of the pocket.
    I used the same type of placard off another Taiyo and scanned it. I looked at another machine of the same type to verify how it should look. I added the word "Bonus" to the three bonus pockets that are on my machine and also present on the original part. I could have used paper but the results just dont look close enough to the factory piece. So I went with a white water slip decal that after printing gets a couple of costs of Krylon gloss acrylic. Once thats dry the decal is submerged in water and then I placed it on 1/8" acrylic sheet that I cut to size with a hacksaw. Once on, it's all but impossible to tell its not an OEM part. Actually if I hadn't done it, I wouldn't have known.
    The pics show the machine as i received it, the decal before cutting it out, the cut decal next to the film covered piece of acrylic, and mounted on the machine.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362808383.681853.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362808130.254884.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362808405.755622.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362808475.332465.jpg

21. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

very nice! Who makes those white water slip decals? Look much nicer than the clear inkjet sticky variety.
    Woof!

23. The following user says "Thanks" to Chumsize

Thanks
    Thanks Received

why not make a full size placard that is mounted in the door glass like all the other machines we have seen??
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's actually ink or laser jet decal film. I bought it a long time ago and no longer have the package so I don't know who makes it. Maybe Avery. To get results like I did, set your printer for max resolution, set it to print on glossy photo paper, and use white not clear decal paper. The white provides a better backing for the colors so they're brighter. Basically just set the printer to all its highest quality settings on the submenus that you don't normally need to pull up.
    Spray the finished decal with a few coats of gloss Krylon clear acrylic after it prints and dries but before you soak it in water. That step was actually stated in the instructions with my decal media. Do all that and you'll end up with what looks just like the factory painted/silk screened original.

26. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    why not make a full size placard that is mounted in the door glass like all the other machines we have seen??
    Several reasons. The main one being that the full size originals are 3D in that they have raised and lowered areas as well as textured surfaces. I really like that about them and if I can't reproduce that then I'm not going to go that route. I think a full size one made out of flat Plexi wont look all that great. They're not bad but not close enough to factory style.
    Also I can't scan in the full size original unless I take it to a print shop and even then I don't know if it would work. If it did I'd still be faced with the above problem.
    Eddie has the exact same model of my machine and this is how his is. Although I don't think his placard is original to his machine since the 6,7,10, and 11 pockets are labeled as jackpots which don't apply to these machines. Your dads placard is the correct one since it has the 3,10, and 14 labeled as bonus but his machine does not have the bonus feature. So either they all came with that or his was switched at sometime.
    I've thought about making a mold of the original and casting new ones and I still may in the future.

28. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Closing the book on the checkout and cleanup of this machine. I had a few more minor things to do and now its ready for play.
    The first issue was a faulty token insert micro switch. I have a bunch of various ones lying around but none were of the right configuration. So I removed it and pulled the halves apart then ran some sand paper over the contacts and that fixed the problem. Installed and tested it and no issues. Next was to remove the chrome frame and polish it with 0000 steel wool and polish all the plastics with Novus. Also used novus on the laminate frame as well. Lastly was polishing the nails and playing a few dozen games to verify everything.
    Pic is of finished machine with the upper left bonus light on.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362940546.188568.jpg

30. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello I have same exact game was wondering what a rough estimate in value is on these I may sell mine to some one like u guys to restore and take care of

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello. I sent you a private message.
    Thanks.