Thread: Circuit Board Help Please

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Circuit Board Help Please

yes hello everyone again, i really need some help, i just got done working on one of my machines and something on the circuit board just exlplodes and broke on it, in the picture are these two black little components that i found to be broken and unattached to the center, can anyone please tell me asap what these are called on my circuit board, they are very small round looking connectors that are black with one white dot on each, if you know what they are called or what they are please contact me back through pm or on this post asap so i can get them and get it fixed up again. Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Circuit Board Help Please

My first thought by looking at the board is a rectifier diode, particularly if that 'AC24' marking on the board to the left of them means 24v AC input and the two white wires are AC input lines. But that form is something I'm not familiar with, usually their cylindrical and not drop encapsulated like that... coloration is consistent with a diode too. The white dot is noting the polarity of the piece.

It's hard to tell in the photo, but it looks like there may be some very small markings printed on the black portion of them. If so, can you read them at all? I wouldn't want to suggest a component without either getting a part number direct from it, or reading the schematic sheet.

-Hans

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by HHaase View Post
    My first thought by looking at the board is a rectifier diode, particularly if that 'AC24' marking on the board to the left of them means 24v AC input and the two white wires are AC input lines. But that form is something I'm not familiar with, usually their cylindrical and not drop encapsulated like that... coloration is consistent with a diode too. The white dot is noting the polarity of the piece.

It's hard to tell in the photo, but it looks like there may be some very small markings printed on the black portion of them. If so, can you read them at all? I wouldn't want to suggest a component without either getting a part number direct from it, or reading the schematic sheet.

-Hans
    Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Probably some kind of diode. Again it's difficult to tell what type from the picture. As Hans said, rectifier diodes usually come in a different style case, but depending on the age of the machine it could be possible. Nowadays you only usually see zener diodes and other protection type diodes in this case style.

I'd need to see where the connections from these devices go on the circuit board to make a more educated guess.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have a question - are you sure these are the parts that exploded? I don't see any burns around it, though they definitely look misshapen.

the ic above it looks like the solder joint on the lower left is cold/unconnected too. Really going to need some multi-angle macro pics of the area to know what's up.

Better yet - can you let us know what machine/frame/brand it is, and what general area on which circuit board you're looking at? Maybe someone here has one that hasn't blown and can get accurate part id's from those "melty" diodes. If you're not sure, pics of the machine, the back, etc, with arrows pointing to the offending location will be splendid.

know this has sat for a while - hope you're still listening!
    Last edited by Chumsize; 01-15-2013 at 06:13 AM.
    Woof!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Chumsize View Post
    Better yet - can you let us know what machine/frame/brand it is, and what general area on which circuit board you're looking at? Maybe someone here has one that hasn't blown and can get accurate part id's from those "melty" diodes. If you're not sure, pics of the machine, the back, etc, with arrows pointing to the offending location will be splendid.
    He has a Nishijin Super Bang. The only one I know of in existence. So he has the only board for that style machine.

100 machines and counting...

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Had a Williams pinball board arrive for repair today, and wouldn't you know it...

IMGP3343.jpg

.1mfd tantalum capacitor according to the schematic for this particular board. Would still need to see any printed markings for the part in the original post before suggesting a replacement though.

-Hans

9. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to HHaase