Thread: Bought Another Nishijin Style B: Thought I'd Share My Latest Find!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Bought Another Nishijin Style B: Thought I'd Share My Latest Find!

Searching Craigslist the other day, I came across a post for a local Garage Sale this weekend that had a few items like baseball memorabilia, computer stuff, antique chairs and a trumpet listed. Another item happened to be a Nishijin Style B! The post described it as a 1950's Pachinko machine, although the photo showed a Style B from a far enough distance as to obscure the center feature. I wasn't too sure I'd be early enough to check it out before someone else grabbed it up. Luckily, only getting to the sale 15 minutes before it was advertised to start, the machine was still there priced at $40! So I did what I had to do, even though money is tight, and purchased it. It's complete, came with about 200 to 300 balls and works like a champ!

Mild pitting on the chrome, a cigarette burn in the lower tray, water stained background and the paint on the plastic pieces is crackled and chipping off. The cabinet door's upper latch needs a nail or screw replaced but it latches shut on the bottom, otherwise everything else works correctly. Vacuumed it out wiped it down too. I'm guessing that it's called a Singing Cowboy, a little creepy looking, but there are five music notes attached to springs inside his mouth that shake when a ball bounces past them. A neat feature, but does it make this machine anything special or desirable? I've seen the Monkey and Alligator in action, though a little more involved than mine, as well as the Spiral and always thought the ones with action center features were neat.

A few questions about collecting/restoring/customizing these machines. Is it "taboo" to upgrade, modernize or add custom backgrounds? Will swapping parts from one particular year machine to another year machine in order to create a complete and unmarred machine decrease the collectibility or value (I know not all Style B's have flags in the load window)? I'm wondering because I have another machine that I'd like to replace some broken parts on. Don’t want to upset any purists or destroy a possibly rare piece either. I'd also like to see pictures of custom machines if you all don't mind sharing.

Anyway, I'm done rambling. Thanks for reading!

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to johnnykaye

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Bought Another Nishijin Style B: Thought I'd Share My Latest Find!

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to johnnykaye

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I love the center feature! Nice find!
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

cool center..

I like it
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice catch dude... good luck with those

10. The following user says "Thanks" to toniboi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by johnnykaye View Post
    A few questions about collecting/restoring/customizing these machines. Is it "taboo" to upgrade, modernize or add custom backgrounds? Will swapping parts from one particular year machine to another year machine in order to create a complete and unmarred machine decrease the collectibility or value (I know not all Style B's have flags in the load window)? I'm wondering because I have another machine that I'd like to replace some broken parts on. Don’t want to upset any purists or destroy a possibly rare piece either. I'd also like to see pictures of custom machines if you all don't mind sharing.
    I don't think so. Actually the more customization the cooler it gets. I have yet to rebuild a machine and put back on the same background it had factory. I always change things up. If you want to see some of mine you can take a quick glance at my blog. Never Pachinko

Usually if you change the background to a similar type form the time period and don't do anything wild like a big Yankee's themed background or something it shouldn't decrease the value. Stick to basic shapes and images, I wouldn't suggest doing anything with more than about 5 different colors in it.

(I know not all Style B's have flags in the load window)
    I don't know what you mean there. All model B machines were built with that little flag. Someone must have taken it off of yours.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Max, thanks for the input! Those are some nice machines you have there.

13. The following user says "Thanks" to johnnykaye

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Max, thanks for the input! Those are some nice machines you have there.
    Your welcome.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah... not all model B's have the flag in the window... because it's missing. D'oh! Upon further inspection and comparison between my machines it turns out that the flag and the arm it's attached to are missing.

16. The following user says "Thanks" to johnnykaye