Thread: Myth: Lowest volume setting can damage a Pachislo?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Talking Myth: Lowest volume setting can damage a Pachislo?

A question... I read somewhere that using a Pachislo on the LOWEST volume setting can damage the speakers. I cannot recall if that was in reference to built-in speakers or add-on speaker adjustments (which I plan to do for the Biohazard machine - TOO LOUD even on lowest setting).

Myth? Truth? Both, e.g., okay for built-in but a no-no for mini-speaker add-ons to reduce the volume?

Advise would be appreciated and thanks all!

R,
    Sandy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Myth: Lowest volume setting can damage a Pachislo?

I have added these volume controls to all my pachislos and have had no trouble what-so-ever. The other thing I like about these is that they are quick and simple to install. No soldering.

Volume Controls for Pachislo Slot Machine and Pachinko | eBay
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You will need one for each speaker.

5. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

im not saying the ones shark posted are bad but i have never used them

I have used these on several Pachinko and Pachislo... these do have to be soldered in.. but there nice and small

6 Volume Controls for Pachislo Slot Machine & Pachinko | eBay
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    im not saying the ones shark posted are bad but i have never used them

I have used these on several Pachinko and Pachislo... these do have to be soldered in.. but there nice and small

6 Volume Controls for Pachislo Slot Machine & Pachinko | eBay
    I believe these are the same as the ones I use except mine are pre-wired and do not require soldering. If you are comfortable with soldering, Mopars will certainly save you money and do just as good a job. I actually ordered a set of those but couldn't find where I put them until after I ordered the others and installed them.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I forgot to post

if i remember right.. reading somewhere to put your volume controles at loudest and then install aftermarket controles..

i can not believe that using the factory controls on any setting would hurt the speakers..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I can't speak for pachinko or paschislo designers specifically... in case they are doing something odd... But remembering my college EE classes, the only thing I thing I could think you might hurt is the amplifier circuit if you louse up the output impedance too much and cause overheating in there. You would want your pots (volume controls) to bleed off the excess power. The only thing in my experience that will hurt speakers is too much volume, or any sizable DC running through them. Ever seen a power amp blow, send DC out, and throw the speakers out the front of an 400w SVT bass cabinet? Quite a spectacle. And very very "metal". !^^!

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Chumsize

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Truth or Myth? 0046.gif But, I'd say Myth.

I've owned over 20+ machines and have installed volume controls on all of them and have never had a problem. There are several different volume controls that you could use. I don't know if any one is better than the other.

I use 500 Ohm Potentiometers, linear taper. They work really well in controlling the volume. I purchase them from Parts Express. Here's the link. 500 Ohm Potentiometer 023-500

Pachislo Volume Control.jpg

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The myth originated from the truth of damaging old tube amps by running them without a load.

New solid state amps are not subject to that problem, restrict away it won't hurt anything !

15. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I can confirm that what Rockston says is true. This was a problem for old tube amps, which used current feedback in the output stages and required the correct impedance of speakers to operate.

Modern integrated circuit amps are designed to drive a wide range of loads from large speakers to small headphones, and usually have protection circuits to stop them from being damaged. The worst thing that can happen if you adjust volume controls or change the speaker impedance (by using aftermarket volume controls) is getting distorted sound.

If you set the internal control to the lowest setting, you can often hear background hiss and distortion due to the poor shielding between the analogue amplifier circuits and the digital control circuits of the pachi. The designers didn't consider this a problem, as it's never quiet enough to hear this type of noise in the pachi halls in Japan!

The aftermarket volume controls will reduce this hiss and distortion along along with the loudness of the original speaker output, so it makes sense to set the internal pachi controls to the loudest distortion free setting (usually medium or high), and the aftermarket controls can then be used to adjust the volume to a comfortable listening level.

17. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

19. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well I'm new to this, just purchased my first two machines a couple months ago, and I see this conversation about volume controls but the distributer had said if the volume is to loud you can unplug a couple of the speakers and it won't damage the amp, so that's where I'm at... Is that true or do I need to add the volume controls...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

At one time, I would have thought unplugging would be terribly bad. After reading here, maybe not so bad...except how flat it must sound with only a few speakers. I would look into volume controls myself. I was confused about it and spent a few extra bucks for an L pad for about $15 from Parts Express. It was a little more complicated wiring the way I did...would have helped if I spent a few extra bucks on different colored wires!volume control 009.jpg Since only 2 speakers, the twin pot controls both speakers evenly. And I wanted it to be easily access, plus unobtrusive. volume control 020.jpg The flush mount knob and escutcheon were extra...but a nice touch. Not truly flush, could have been routed out but not going through all that! To keep from buying a mistake, I just used a part# supplied in a thread here at Parts Express' web site and bought knob to suit. The ones mentioned have both been used by members and should work great! The only problem with mine is, 3/4 of the travel barely reduces volume...the final 1/4 is where all the meaningful volume reduction takes place.

22. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Pachiwall!!! I do plug the speakers, I've unplugged, back in for when we have guests... Like your setup where you can adjust the volume from the outside ...

24. The following user says "Thanks" to southside