Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Satomi Miracle "Buffalo" Arrangeball Project

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Still not done but have basically put it all together and verified all the functions. I have another couple of hours of paint cleaning up on the green marquee and coin strip and a few other things. Many of the bulbs are gone or burned out and I had just enough to fill the bottom matrix to check that all my work on the switches was sound. This machine is a definite candidate for LEDs as I don't feel like searching for the originals if they're even still made. The bulbs are unacceptably dim and only 6V so the conversion to LEDs will be easy.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359591630.151749.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359591683.562795.jpg
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Doing some detailed cosmetic work at this point. This area on the lower left front of the machine was faded like everything else and normally I would lay the machine on its back and flow paint into this area. It's easy but the underlying texture (in this case, horizontal lines) can get obscured if you're not careful with the paint viscosity. I had already mounted it on the wall and leveled it when I realized I hadn't done this area so I decided to airbrush. A little more set up involved of course but its easy to get the exact amount of paint where it's needed. Still a quick process- took about 10 minutes total to mask, paint, and clean up.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359750296.792709.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359750311.445465.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359750341.404134.jpg

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Alright so the last thing to do to this machine is the LED conversion. Practically every other arrangeball I've seen uses the wire based grain of wheat bulbs. This one however used bayonet based incandescents. The original sockets were significantly corroded and most bulbs were quite dim due to poor electrical contact. In the past someone tried to improve the connection by soldering the sockets directly to the circuit board and the pic shows all the old solder blobs. Well I don't want to deal with finding replacement bulbs and having them burn out over time and I don't want to have to worry about bad electrical connections again and LEDs eliminate those issues. This means I had to come up with a different mounting style as opposed to reusing the silicone cups for the normal grain of wheat mini bulbs. As can be seen in the pic there are 4 plastic standoffs on the rear of the matrix to provide clearance for the original bulb sockets. Also visible are the 16 holes where each bulb's light entered. My solution was simply to use plastic rod cut to the correct length to make up the difference. I placed the LED atop the rod and secured it with a strip of tape then soldered the resistor on one side and xtra wire on the other. The bottom of the rod has another strip of tape and is secured to the circuit board with a brass screw and washer on the opposite side. The original bulbs sat about a quarter inch behind each opening and sort of lit the number indirectly. Now the LED actually fits inside the cavity and is a dramatic improvement over the original.
    Of course getting a good photo of a lit LED is just about impossible as it looks too bright and washes out the number but in person, its great.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360368981.703796.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1360368999.332668.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1360369017.497480.jpg

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Satomi Miracle "Buffalo" Arrangeball Project

wont the tape come unraveled in a short period of time??

rather then using tape why not use heat shrink.. it will last "forever"
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Heat shrink is an excellent idea and I may do that when I gear up to make the remaining 24. The tape is clear duct tape so it should last quite awhile.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I really want to do LED conversion on my Arrangeball, Powerflash and Computer Pachinko machines. Is there a thread on doing this conversion?
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

12. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

no thread that i'm aware of but i'll do a step by step in the future.

14. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

After owning this machine for close to two years and hauling it from New Orleans up here to the Northwest, I finally played my first game on followed by many more. The first 40 minutes or so were spent adjusting the leaf switches on the 16 ball pockets, tweaking the nails, and a couple other adjustments. I completed the matrix light mod ( its clumsy looking as im no engineer but its solid and works well) and it was nice to see the entire machine come to life almost 40 years after it was made. Someone along the way removed the top 4 nails above the number 10 pocket above the bull and i replaced them during the restoration. After a few plays I could see why but then in a few dozen games I got the ball in there a half dozen times. A ball can manage to go into the bull's horns even when they're not activated to light the 7 and spit out a coin, but it happens rarely. Last thing to do is adjust the coin restrictor so it'll take my coin of choice and the this project will be wrapped up.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361842451.471736.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1361842476.744755.jpg

16. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

incredible work!
    That's an amazing machine, congratulatons
    DMinor アルファマイナー Coo coo for kenrimonos!

18. The following user says "Thanks" to alphaminor

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by alphaminor View Post
    incredible work!
    That's an amazing machine, congratulatons
    Thank you much.

20. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Apparently my tolerance for digital cleanup work is high as of late. While I had paint.net pulled up I scanned in the placard that LT made for me from his original one. I then matched the colors using a pic of the correct placard tjt i once owned and made another small placard to replace the missing one for this machine.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362870790.702672.jpg

22. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is inspiring work emmadog. Well done.

24. The following user says "Thanks" to DrewB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2