Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Satomi Miracle "Buffalo" Arrangeball Project

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Satomi Miracle "Buffalo" Arrangeball Project

This is the 2nd machine of this model I've owned. The first was in very nice shape and I gave it to a good buddy of mine. I picked this one up a couple years back for cheap since it didn't work. Its a great playing machine with simple rules and a fun feature. A ball in the top pocket lights the number 7 and causes the bull's horns to slowly open and close for a few seconds in addition to his eyes glowing red. This encourages the player to shoot balls in an attempt to get a ball in the horns. If this happens, a coin is paid out.
    When I got this machine it powered up but that was about it. I finally got it working by having a few of the IC chips replaced and some other circuit board components. So now I've just about completed the tear down. The machine is pretty dirty and has a badly discolored cel as can be seen by the newly uncovered white cel borders. A few nails were either hammered in or removed to make the machine loose. Fortunately and unusually, the dark green plastics retained their original color. Now the complete restoration can begin with a new cel, nails, etc. my usual routine. Below are some pics of all the parts and the pain in the ass spiral nails that hold the cel backboard to the frame.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347643762.870913.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1347643775.628482.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1347643791.636679.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1347643805.791752.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1347643819.107386.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1347643834.257672.jpg
    Last edited by emmadog; 09-14-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

2. The following 13 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

be vewy vewy quiet im hunting pachis... Lt Teddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Satomi Miracle "Buffalo" Arrangeball Project

I sometimes think that you get these just to fix them up. I saw the machine at the shop and I can sure tell that you have some talent with fixing these up. I am sure it will be a great addition to your collection when completed. Of course Christmas is coming and I do accept anonymous Christmas presents or any Christmas present.
    Over the hills and threw the woods, pachi hunting we go.
    Arrangeball Hunter
    ARRANGEBALLS 5, Slots 12

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Lt Teddy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks. I do prefer restoring to actually playing but I still play quite a bit. Christmas is coming up and I did see a cool Taiyo at the repair shop...

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey - *everyone* has a special talent.

the challenge, in this life, is to find out what it is.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to candyflip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
    Hey - *everyone* has a special talent.

the challenge, in this life, is to find out what it is.
    oh oh oh i know what mine is...

Mooching off my Parents

note to self.. probably should not have posted that
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Finished restoring the pockets and the bull mechanism. The brass shafts attached to the horns that then articulate with a couple of gears were pretty grubby. They had the usual patina that gets on brass but some steel wool polished it up nicely. Also polished the bulls's head and horns with Novus and lunricated the brass rods with a drop of synthetic oil. Color matched the paint and redid that with both acrylics and enamels and a couple of different techniques. When cured it'll all be sealed with a hard clear.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347738001.718925.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1347738020.388365.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1347738036.057366.jpg

12. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow, great work!!!
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You are a master with paint as usual emmadog.

Keeps reminding me that I need to start playing with my airbrush.

100 machines and counting...

16. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks but I definitely wouldn't say I'm a master. Fortunately restoration work really doesn't require much talent since you're just improving what's already there. It takes a little creativity in figuring out new techniques for certain situations. For example, on parts that have small, confined areas to paint I used to just airbrush the entire part whatever the background color was then mask that off and proceed to paint each separate component it's specific color. Flawless results can be obtained but its very time consuming and is partly why true restoration work and not just a good clean up on these machines is seldom profitable. At least not to the level of detail I do. Anyway, a simpler way is to prep the part as usual but instead of masking after airbrushing, I simply find or make the paint (after color matching) viscous enough so that it won't run when theres no raised edge border such as the bulI horns on the 6 and 11 pockets. I may use enamels or acrylics and it usually depends on if i have an exact match in one or the other. I have a huge assortment of Liquitex acrylics and Tamiya and Testors enamels and acrylics. I very gently "dot" the paint on with a fine brush and steady hand. Once the solvent dries you're left with a uniform, solid color as if it were airbrushed and leaves a factory finish. This is the technique I used on the parts in the pics. Of course, sometimes an airbrush can't be beat but the above method saves lots of time with indistinguishable-from-factory results.

18. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Latest on the project. Sanded and sealed the wood case and frame that cel backboard attaches to. Also sanded and sealed rear of cel backboard. The front is where the new cel attaches so no sealer is applied there. Also bought new stainless hardware to reattach and fasten all the components with. All the original screws are either stripped and/or rusted. No real reason for stainless other than I like the way it looks and it's fairly cheap for the amount needed for pachinko restoration.
    All the metal parts that will fit are in the tumbler. Solenoids are unsoldered and disassembled with the plungers going into the tumbler and the coils having the interior cleaned with a brass brush and 91% alcohol. The pics show the case, tumbler, preliminarily sanded cel backboard and the original cel which has been cut into 6ths to fit into my scanner. Also visible is the original pachinko palace sticker which I will be reproducing separately. My least favorite part of all this is the digital clean up of the cel but this is an easy one compared to others I've done. Especially the Taiyo Big Spin and Full Throttle.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349050305.928133.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1349050321.182201.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1349050335.082588.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1349050351.262693.jpg

20. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Finally turned some attention to this project and completed and had the new cel printed out. This is the longest I've taken on an arrangeball project by far and there's still much more to do. I can't stand doing the digital cel cleanup so I put it off. Anyway, here's the new cel with some of the parts just stuck on there temporarily to get an idea of what it'll look like. I saved the original Pachinko Palace sticker and my original plan was to print a new one but instead I'll keep the old one. It's a cool touch.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358827824.494586.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1358827843.044979.jpg

22. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Same mock up but with the nails installed. They'll be straightened once the machine is fully assembled and functioning.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358987327.439344.jpg

24. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Got more done including the installation of the ball tracks. All the parts on the cel now are on permanently with the exception of the chrome square around the number matrix. It's just sitting on there. A few more parts left to install then it'll be mounted to the frame and the assembly of the rest of the machine can begin. The other pic shows the brass hardware I used to attach the various parts with. Goes well with the brass nails.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359088260.945230.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359088317.617123.jpg

26. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looking good!

28. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

30. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Mounted the cel to the frame/case. Normally I disassemble and clean all parts prior to reassembly. However this go round I decided to do the cleaning as I got to each part which is why the frame is still in the condition I got it as well as the large chrome plastic piece, etc.
    other pics are of the cleaned and remounted parts. I also saved time by not sorting thru the myriad sizes of screws for all the interior components. Instead I just threw them away, and for 15 bucks bought stainless hardware in all the same sizes. Not that stainless is needed but that's not much cash, looks better, and is much harder than the amazingly soft metal used on the original screws.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359307236.162383.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359307281.497004.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359307320.525606.jpg

32. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Latest so far. Installed the chrome frame and did a preliminary polish of the chromed plastic lower marquee. It was fairly oxidized and rough feeling no doubt to its many years in a humid SE Texas garage until I found it. I wasn't sure how my standby of 0000 steel wool would do but it brought back the original finish perfectly which is something I wouldn't have guessed. Installed a few more interior parts and now I have to tackle the 16 leaf switches at the bottom. At some point someone bent the hell out of them. I bent them back to their correct positions and now I have to fasten the black rubber extensions on each one. Easy but tedious. Once that's done I'll be able to install the cable that joins everything electrically.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359331628.178650.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359331656.762790.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359331692.184878.jpg

34. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Really coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing more.

36. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks. Should have it all back together and functioning by this weekend.

38. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

40. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast