Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What are these extra wires??? - 1976 Daiichi New Vanguard

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default What are these extra wires??? - 1976 Daiichi New Vanguard

I believe this is a 1976 Model, made by Daiichi (says "New Vangurd"), on the front (I'm assuming that it is meant to read, "New Vanguard"). Anyway, I have connected a 9v battery and the "Ball Empty" and "Jackpot" lights work great. However, there are many other lights, etc. (which are not a part of that wiring) and they aren't working. The "extra" wires (shown in the photo) may explain this problem. Do I need to connect power to them?

Thanks!
    JoeC360_2012-08-12-17-12-21.jpgC360_2012-08-12-17-13-56.jpgC360_2012-08-12-17-15-50.jpgC360_2012-08-12-17-18-05.jpg

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ncstargazing

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: What are these extra wires??? - 1976 Daiichi New Vanguard

That is very interesting! I haven't seen those wires on a vintage before, nor that white box to the left if the jackpot. How about a closer pic of the "mystery box". Do the wires plug into the box? If I were to guess...I would say, when working correctly, a ball falls thru the center feature into the lower pocket "flicker", then the center feature blinks colored lights in those clear plastic posts. Take some more detailed pics of the wires and box for us to study!

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

interesting..

yes more pictures please..

where do the wires lead to??

is there a transformer??

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk! Looking forward to seeing more.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Where are my manners! WELCOME TO PACHITALK!

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to the forum!! We are thrilled to have you as a new member.

That is a very interesting machine you have... I don't think we have seen anything quite like it here before. It looks to me like there are LED lights to the left and right of the Flicker pocket (behind the red circles), as well as in the posts within the center feature. I bet that mystery box on the back is the controller for the LED's.

I will be interested to see more pictures and learn about this interesting machine. Thanks for posting!!!

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you, so much, for your awesome replies! Everyone seems to be really nice, here. Kindred spirits, I suppose. :-)
    I am uploading more photos. The box, in question, is empty and has no "obvious" purpose. The "flicker" has a door that opens, which is apparently run by an electromagnet (that's what the two smaller gauge white wires are leading to, in the photo of the mystery wiring harness). I'm not even sure that this is a 1976 model. The theme appears to be "TULIPS".
    MORE PHOTOS TO COME - HAVING UPLOAD ISSUES. BRB.

Back - Bottom.jpgBack - Middle.jpgBack - Top.jpgBack of Machine.jpgCenter Pocket.jpgFlicker Switch and Lights.jpgFlicker.jpgPegs.jpgStickers.jpg
    Last edited by ncstargazing; 08-13-2012 at 03:35 PM.

14. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to ncstargazing

Thanks
    Thanks Received

16. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to ncstargazing

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Are there LED bulbs anywhere in the center feature? What (if anything) is inside those posts?
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

18. The following user says "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I can't tell if there are LEDs in there. It looks like they would light up, though. And, it would explain the "extra" wires. Inside the pegs, there appear to be translucent, colored pegs (like thin light-bright pegs). I imagine that there are LEDs behind them.

20. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ncstargazing

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If there are wires leading to each peg, have you tried powering any of those wires?
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

22. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I wasn't sure what voltage they would be. Is it possible that there was a circuit board that these wires were connected to? Or, is it more likely to be the case that they were connected directly to some transformer or other power source?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The box thing looks like it is missing the front part and had holes in the back for ventilation.

Would try 5v on the led's and if you figure out that they work, it would be an excellent arduino project.

My guess is that the flicker thing is just a switch?
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

25. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think you are right about the switch. I will definitely try connecting 5v to the various leads and see what happens. And, I'm loving the arduino idea. :-)

27. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ncstargazing

Thanks
    Thanks Received

great machine...

can y get closeup pictures of where the wires go??
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

29. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice machine! With a very clean cell, how clean are the ball paths? Looks like screws holding the plastic parts onto the back, are there any staple holes in the plastic parts? If so, someone has taken it apart to clean it, as screws are not that common for it's age. It was more cost effective to use staples, more so for speed of assembly, therefore less labor costs. If it has been taken apart, maybe parts were eliminated by the previous restorer, either because they didn't work...or restorer didn't want to figure it out. Seems like that mystery box should have had some sort of circuits to control the "flicker". I agree that there are probably LED's in the plastic posts...but I would work up to 5volts. If I'm not mistaken, LED's use about 2.5 volts and are not very tolerant to overvoltage. I would start with a single battery, (AAA, AA, C, or D cell) as it is 1.5 volt, then work up to 2 cells for 3 volts. I start to get nervous at 3 cells or more, unless there is an inline resistor to drop parlor voltage of 10 volts down to the proper LED voltage. Try voltage tn both directions as an LED is a Light Emitting Diode, and diodes only allow voltage in one direction. It wont hurt them to hook them up backwards but are unforgiving to too much voltage. You only get one chance to over volt them...they just DIE! My best guess is the Mystery box's circuitry had resistors to drop the parlor voltage to a safe level. I love this machine because it is a Daiichi, and I don't have one yet. It is very clean, therefore less work for me ( more time to figure out the wires). And best of all...it is very different, something that is desirable when you have too many machines and are trying NOT to t"thin the heard".(is there really such a thing as TOO MANY machines?) I hate to say that I think there are missing parts...a problem when you have the "only game in town" I would consider taking off some of the back parts to trace the wires before applying voltage to see where they go...as opposed to applying voltage willy nilly. If you are comfortable with that. Beautiful machine! Thanks for sharing it with us!

31. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just Googled Arduino...it kind of made sense for something Greek! Could be an option, if it makes sense to you. I can figure out basic electrical circuits...but electronics confuse me. That is why I don't really "get" moderns. I LOVE vintages, especially VERY old ones. Like the ones JACKSJE4 collects!

33. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    I just Googled Arduino...it kind of made sense for something Greek! Could be an option, if it makes sense to you. I can figure out basic electrical circuits...but electronics confuse me. That is why I don't really "get" moderns. I LOVE vintages, especially VERY old ones. Like the ones JACKSJE4 collects!
    Don't want to hijack this thread... but check out this experimental kit (especially the pdf of the actual experiments). Scroll down and look under Documentation: at the Web quality guide.
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10173 There is a circuit called 8 LED Fun - (Multiple LEDs). All the code is written and the wiring diagram is provided...

The arduino is one of the easiest and inexpensive ways to automate lights, solenoids, relays, servos, motors, etc. There are numerous online libraries and examples. The hardware is available on eBay and at Radio Shack. The basic model, latest revision (R3) UNO clone, is available on eBay for under $20 including shipping.

Who has enough time though to learn something new? I know!, but at least the monetary investment is minimal. And the end project is about as big as a business card... One can get really crazy and reduce the entire project to a chip but the arduino remains a good platform for prototyping.

It does all sound Greek, I agree, it's actually Italian?
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

35. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ncstargazing View Post
    I'm not even sure that this is a 1976 model. The theme appears to be "TULIPS".
    I take it you probably got the dating info from here. 1976 Daiichi : Pachinko Planet, Antique and Vintage Pachinko Machines

If so I did that write up for the owner of the site. Over time I have actually found my dates are a little off. The actually build year of that machine is 1975 and not 76. As I found 2 more missing pieces in my puzzle that corrects my dates.

I would say the theme on your machine would actually be Fliker. As I have never seen that before and would really love to learn more about it.

Oh and to Pachitalk.

-Max

100 machines and counting...

37. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is all very exciting! It is great to know the correct year. I removed some things and now have photos, to show where the wires lead. And, I am definitely buying an Arduino Uno (or clone). Sounds like a fun project! Now, I just need to figure out the voltage of these lights, without blowing them up. Lol.

The first photo is a closeup of the electromagnet, which opens a trap door under the center "Flicker" pocket.
    The 2nd photo shows where the "extra" wires lead. They lead to the light actuators and red lights, located on either side of the left and right "Flicker" pockets.
    The 3rd photo gives a larger overview.
    The 4th photo shows the left "flicker" pocket, with the face plate removed. Apparently, the lights are clear and cylindrical in shape. However, I am uncertain if they are LEDs or miniature bulbs.

C360_2012-08-14-15-16-40.jpgC360_2012-08-14-15-16-51.jpgC360_2012-08-14-15-17-43.jpgC360_2012-08-14-15-29-55.jpg

39. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to ncstargazing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast