Thread: My vintage cabinets based on a couple of designs from this forum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default My vintage cabinets based on a couple of designs from this forum

I thought I'd post some pictures of my cabinets that I built based on a couple of designs I found here. I have 2 and they hold 2 vintage pachinkos. The concept is pretty basic, just a simple frame around the machines. 1 X 8 on the sides and back (top), 1 X 4 braces on the bottom, and a 1 X 12 bottom.

pic104.jpg

The one thing I wanted was to mount them on the wall, but I didnt want to be opening them all of the time to replenish the balls. So I used a design with the ball return at the bottom. Basically a slanted piece of 1/8 plywood to bring the balls to the front. However, I found that getting the balls out by hand was a bit of a pain so I made the front open. But then the problem was they wanted to escape before I was ready. To solve this, I put a piece plywood most of the way across the front with just a small opening where I could put a bin to catch the balls. I also cut a slot in the wood frame so sits flush. You also notice the small bracket on the right side that holds the front when its its normal position.

pic100.jpgpic101.jpg

The next thing I wanted was to make it easy to put the balls back in the top, so I used the idea of the warped piece of plywood directing the balls to the hole. And while this worked pretty good, I found the triangle guides did a great job of making sure they find it. This works perfectly.

pic103.jpg

You may also notice on the first picture there's a piece of plywood over the opening while its not in the 2nd two pictures. I made this to give the option of playing with it open or closed. It's velco'd at the moment, but I want to make it hinged to easily fold up in front rather than velco (still on the to do list) and once I do this, I will paint it to match.

Oh the other thing I should mention, is that the 2 side pieces for the ball return (1X4's) also support the bottom of the machine and I lag bolted them to the sides to make it strong. The remainder is all screws and glue, and its very solid.

pic102.jpg

I drilled a few holes to provide access to the critical points, like the door level and front open, and voila, it hangs on the wall perfectly with a french hook at the top.

Thanks for all of the ideas that made this possible.

2. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to rnikula

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My vintage cabinets based on a couple of designs from this forum

nice job
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nice!!! Thank you for sharing.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice design, clean simple lines and perfect for your vintages

Thank you for sharing your ideas and pics,

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looking good. simple and clean always suits vintage machines.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

nice looking units...

Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice design. Simple and functional!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice basic cabinet.

Though there would be some mods I would make myself. But then that is the whole point of building a custom cabinet.

What I would do is take that lower tray and make it slide in and out like a draw and then put a slider on the front plate. Though I liked how you made it double as a table top.

100 machines and counting...

10. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    Nice basic cabinet.

Though there would be some mods I would make myself. But then that is the whole point of building a custom cabinet.

What I would do is take that lower tray and make it slide in and out like a draw and then put a slider on the front plate. Though I liked how you made it double as a table top.
    I toyed with different ideas and this one ended being "simplest" which worked great for me. The 2nd one took me just a long afternoon to complete, since I had the concepts worked out.

Thanks for noticing that it also worked as a table top, which I hadn't mentioned. That was another advantage of the 1X12 base is that it provided perfect support both to the front and back. In fact, it worked even better at that then I originally planned.

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to rnikula