Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Taiyo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Taiyo

Preliminary pics. So far I plugged her in and everything works fine including sound. Getting text translated now and will post more info when I get time. One bit of info is that both matrices have a light that chases around the perimeter numbers minus the corners at game start. One matrix goes clockwise and the other is counter clockwise. So any time a number is lit in one matrix then some other number is lit in the other. If a ball lands in a pocket when a number is lit then the player is awarded both numbers. But it's entirely possible to land in a pocket when the numbers are off. This feature is only active for the first ball.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342567413.335141.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1342567446.410179.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1342567521.410177.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1342567972.182498.jpg
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

2. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Taiyo

You're teasing us with only posting partial pictures.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

5. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I haven't quite got it figured out yet: Challange ball machines pay out coins...and Arrange ball machines pay out in balls? If the balls are captive, the ones in the lower tray are winnings to be traded in, because you can't reload them???

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Arrangeball is the collective term for machines that payout in coins.At least that's the convention here. The Taiyo company calls these machines "challengeballs" but they all start a game with coins and pay out in coins. With very rare exception I don't collect "traditional" pachinkos that pay out in balls. I'm pretty much an arrangeball addict.
    Anyway, the balls in the coin tray are just what I do when i get a new arrangeball in. I keep a stash in there and place balls in various pockets to so I can test all the functions and figure out the game rules.
    I'll do a more thorough writeup and post more pics soon.

8. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Taiyo (Sun)
    (to the left under pictures) 1 points, 2 points, 3 points, 3 points (Lamps 6 and 11 lit)
    *Scoring on the side chuckers = 1 point
    *Getting the R Mark lets you hit the ball again
    (right side)
    Pierrot (Clown) <-name of machine
    *Flashing lamps stop flashing when a new ball enters one of the 16 holes.
    *Score is doubled when a ball enters the heaven chucker
    *Central chucker lights lamps 8 and 9

So there's the translation. The word "Pierrot" means pantomime type clown/masquerader but the characters on the cel look like anything but clowns. No rhyme or reason to cels on vintage machines usually.
    The black sticker at top center of the frame says "Digital Score Display".
    More pics and later on, a vid are on the way.

10. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh my god - you went and bought it, and shipped it Airmail?

Juno comes through again?

ADDICT!!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    Arrangeball is the collective term for machines that payout in coins.At least that's the convention here. The Taiyo company calls these machines "challengeballs" but they all start a game with coins and pay out in coins. With very rare exception I don't collect "traditional" pachinkos that pay out in balls. I'm pretty much an arrangeball addict.
    Anyway, the balls in the coin tray are just what I do when i get a new arrangeball in. I keep a stash in there and place balls in various pockets to so I can test all the functions and figure out the game rules.
    I'll do a more thorough writeup and post more pics soon.
    Thanks! That makes more sense. I am under the impression that they are all captive ball machines, that play 16 - 19 balls, and payout some kind of coins. LuckyDog says that a gold dollar is the correct size, and a good subsitute. I have never seen the correct coin. Is it Japanese currency...or some sort of token? Does anyone have a pic of the correct coin/token? Man I want one of these! I know where 2 broken ones can be had for $350-$400, plus shipping! But am afraid of some problem with the circuit boards. I've had good luck making broken vintage pachinkos work again...but I can SEE what is wrong, and fix it. I would hate to get a $350+ decoration that I can't fix!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    Thanks! That makes more sense. I am under the impression that they are all captive ball machines, that play 16 - 19 balls, and payout some kind of coins. LuckyDog says that a gold dollar is the correct size, and a good subsitute. I have never seen the correct coin. Is it Japanese currency...or some sort of token? Does anyone have a pic of the correct coin/token? Man I want one of these! I know where 2 broken ones can be had for $350-$400, plus shipping! But am afraid of some problem with the circuit boards. I've had good luck making broken vintage pachinkos work again...but I can SEE what is wrong, and fix it. I would hate to get a $350+ decoration that I can't fix!
    all these machines have 16 captured balls.. i don't think anyone has a machine that operates on more or less.. (but some people play with a few more balls to increase there odds..

the gold dollars are a great fit but standard pachislo tokens work (if ya disconnect the coin rejector).. the problem i have had is the tokens are a bit lite in weight and some times done work very well..

there great machines
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

be vewy vewy quiet im hunting pachis... Lt Teddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

P7186589.jpgP7186590.jpgP7186591.jpg

Over the last few years I have used alot of different coins to run my arrange balls. A couple of them I even had to file the coin slot for the coin to fit. Above you will see the three gold dollars on the left, in the middle six coins in the middle are the coins I have found in some of the arrange balls I have bought. The right three are regular pachislo tokens.

The gold dollars and the arrangeball six are almost exactly the same weight and diameter. The three pachislo tokens are smaller in size and weight.

It is spendy to use gold dollars and even quarters which will work. All you have to do is disable the coin ejector and it will accept almost anything. The reason I really like the gold dollars is that they fit the coin tube exactly and of course for the payout experience. IMO
    Over the hills and threw the woods, pachi hunting we go.
    Arrangeball Hunter
    ARRANGEBALLS 5, Slots 12

16. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Lt Teddy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have found the gold dollar coins work well in my arrange ball machine as well, however just a word of warning: If you have teenagers that are home when you are not, the gold coins tend to vanish a few at a time and nobody seems to have any clue where they went.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

18. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i've used gold dollar coins plenty in the past. actually ever since i got my first arrangeball almost 4 years ago and i agree with LT, they're more fun to play with and get paid in even if it is already your own money. now i use quarters almost exclusively with dollar coins scattered about all my machines. i just adjust the coin discriminator to accept quarters and reject anything smaller.
    so i've had some time to spend with the machine and to learn the game play and compare the differences between this generation of Taiyo and my others which are the previous generation but still very close internally.
    game play is as follows:
    at game start both matrices' numbers flash around the perimeter sequentially, one clockwise and the other the opposite. the first ball in any pocket stops this action so the player can be awarded 1, 2, or 3 separate numbers. sometimes the sequential lights are in sync and will stop on the same number in which case the player just gets two numbers-the one the ball went in and the the sequential numbers which happen to be the same. other times the sequential numbers are out of sync so the player gets whatever those two different numbers are plus the pocket that the ball went in. this machine pays out a max of 15 which is unlike any of my other taiyos which max out at 10. also, the score displays your number won and also the letters F,C, and H. Haven't played enough to see what that's all about. the upper pocket doubles your score, the lower UFO pocket lights the 8 and 9, the lower left and right "sun" pockets add 1 to your score. the amber lights and the left and right side of the cel flash everytime a number is illuminated and stay on a few seconds when the perimeter numbers are all lit along with a specific sound effect. this machine like my others of this brand has sound effects which at the moment are very loud so after the teardown and cleanup a volume control will be installed.
    the machine came with a bag of tokens and a few balls and of course broken glass. both panes were cracked but not in pieces which was nice but this is the 3rd or 4th machine from yja with broken glass. i'm used to it and is no big deal plus i dont like glass in my machines anyway as i always switch to plexi. also came with the rare overflow jug and a new style front number pocket cover which ive never seen in person before. inside the main difference is that the circuit board is now housed in a metal box equipped with a pin at each corner. these pins engage in grooves covered by a spring loaded latch so it's easy to remove the whole box. the factory anti tamper on the box sticker is still intact as well. another difference is the change to leaf switches as opposed to micro switches on the number pockets but micro switches are still used for other pockets such as the score doubler, etc. lastly, the plastic framework inside that everything ,mounts to is blue instead of brown but the main overall difference is cosmetic externally. it was made march 19th, 1984
    here's a quick phone vid of a few games and in the last game all the outside numbers are lit with accompanying sound effects. i'll make a better vid soon.
    Taiyo Electron "Clown" ChallengeBall - YouTube
    Last edited by emmadog; 07-18-2012 at 10:06 PM.

20. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

22. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

24. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
    Oh my god - you went and bought it, and shipped it Airmail?

Juno comes through again?

ADDICT!!!
    Indeed. Been wanting an example of this generation (which I'm pretty sure is the last) Taiyo for a few years now. This one worked and was in too good of shape to pass up.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Indeed. Been wanting an example of this generation (which I'm pretty sure is the last) Taiyo for a few years now. This one worked and was in too good of shape to pass up.

did you have your eye on it already, before I called it out here?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    350-400 is high for a broken arrangeball, of course it depends on the nature of the issue. i would imagine you'll be getting some PM's concerning those machines. could be a great project or great but expensive and lengthy. circuit board parts are cheap if you can find them but the labor is what's expensive at 80ish an hour for a tech.

28. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
    did you have your eye on it already, before I called it out here?
    no, i hadn't seen it which i thought was odd since the auction was for 7 days and i check yja daily. i don't know if i just missed it or my filter didn't catch it. it's the first of this series i've ever seen for sale on yja in 4 years so i pulled the trigger.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

no, i hadn't seen it which i thought was odd since the auction was for 7 days and i check yja daily. i don't know if i just missed it or my filter didn't catch it. it's the first of this series i've ever seen for sale on yja in 4 years so i pulled the trigger.
    Excellent - so glad you snagged it.

Beautiful cell - another to add to your outstanding collection.

One day I'll get to the West coast and see them in person!

31. The following user says "Thanks" to candyflip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks very much and I look forward to having a visit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast