Thread: The mythical $25 Pachinko Machine

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default The mythical $25 Pachinko Machine

I suspect everyone knows how this started. My family for some reason decided I needed a pachinko machine. My brother used to have one and my wife remembered how much I liked it. She saw one on a local "for sale" board and bought it for me... How sweet. A Nishijin B machine from around 1976 I believe.

It's actually in pretty good shape, and she got it for less than half the original price because the seller couldn't get the power to work ( but actually my wife only sort of knew power wasn't important). So for a mere $40, I had a mostly working pachinko machine. But of course, it didn't come with any balls, and after working on it a bit, I figured out that I really needed a track cover. Oh yeah, and the plexi-glass has a small piece chipped out. And darn one of the tulip petals doesn't work. But overall not bad and I think with a little cleaning, it's actually a pretty good buy. Oh, another thing, the transformer they had didn't work, and the lights were broken, and one of the micro switch solders came apart. But overall not bad... So I just need to fix it up and a bit and I'm happy with. And it was a bit dirty. but I am happy with it.

Of course, my post title was the mythical $25 pachinko machine and I said it cost $40. Well, of course, now that I had a pachinko machine, I learned more about them and I know I have to replace some parts, so I was searching around and eventually end up on Craiglist. Sure enough someone had a machine for sale near me for $30. So I figured if it has some parts that I needed or came with some pachinko balls, then that's a cheap way to get them. So I went look at it, and it was nice (the machines seem to know how to look their best) and he agreed to $25. So for that, how can I pass it up? It's not the same brand (its a Sankyo Airport) and it really doesn't have any parts that I need and it has its own problem, but all of the tulips work and it seems to be in general working shape although it was in the attic (when the guy bought the house) and it's dirty.

So now I have 2 pachinko machines and well, now I have 2 that need parts. The new one has a broker jackpot rocker and missing the metal part that holds the ball, maybe not in quite of good of shape, but I do like the front and all of the tulips work, and the lights are there, but the wiring is a bit questionable, but hey it was just $25.

But of course, it's also missing the track cover, and now I need twice the number pachinko balls because the ones that it came with, all 100 of them are not in great shape.

I am probably on the path that many here have followed before me. The joy of cleaning, tweaking and making them come back to life. And to be honest, the fact that I am in to the tune about $150 now with things almost playable, that seems like a great accomplishment. But I am sure there's something else I'll need to replace. And oh yeah, I need some place to put them...

On a happy note, I did manage to fabricate a part for the broken tulip and I am trying to figure out how to do same for the jackpot rocker so life is good.

But I am keeping my eye out for another one that comes up near me that maybe I can get for parts

pic001.jpgpic002.jpgpic004.jpgpic003.jpg

2. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to rnikula

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: The mythical $25 Pachinko Machine

pics of the backs please

thanks

looks like a nice pair
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here's the back, some covers pieces are off because I am messing with them and waiting for some replacement parts. I also should have taken the picture of the Nishiijin without the plexi in, its in really bad shape. Added an interior. uploaded slightly higher resolution pics to my flickr account pachinko - a set on Flickr

And a question, do you polish the brass pins? I read one post that said not to because they will just tarnish again. So wonder if it is worth the effort.

pic001_002.jpg
    pic001_001.jpgpic002_001.jpg

5. The following user says "Thanks" to rnikula

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    pics of the backs please

thanks

looks like a nice pair

I don't know why the $25 machine is mythical. I bought almost all 80 of my machines for under $30 each. Most were even less. $25 is my ideal price for a machine. I don't like to pay more unless it is one I like a little more.

100 machines and counting...

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post

I don't know why the $25 machine is mythical. I bought almost all 80 of my machines for under $30 each. Most were even less. $25 is my ideal price for a machine. I don't like to pay more unless it is one I like a little more.
    I guess my attempt at humor didn't come across. I was saying that to someone who sees an ad for a $25 vintage pachinko, that this initial cost is just the start of an investment of time and money, and that it's not going to be $25, before long both time and money will quickly bypass the original investment. And many people can't just stop with 1.

9. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to rnikula

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you polish the brass pins, they will eventually tarnish again depending on the environment your machine is kept in. I have polished the pins on all of my machines and they still look shiny after several years of use. I personally think that it would take ten or more years before they needed polishing again if the machine is stored in your home.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

11. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Polish the pins it is worth the effort. It makes it look a lot nicer. Also the pins won't tarnish as fast if you use gloves while polishing them, as it is the oils on your fingers that tarnishs them the fastest.

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree with Max in theory. Of course all 80 would be under $30 due to purchase in bulk...but don't forget to include the cost of the U-Haul truck and gas to pick them up. $25 IS an ideal price...locally. Shipping is always more than $25. Due to the reality of life...I have adopted a price rule of: I want to pay $100 or less for a vintage. This is for something desirable, and less than common. I have however violated this rule...My last 2 machines were $140, & $120...but both were very uncommon and were worth breaking the rules. And both came from the west coast, where all the good ones are. However I'm doing my best to bring the best of the west coast pachinko machines to Dayton, Ohio!

15. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    I agree with Max in theory. Of course all 80 would be under $30 due to purchase in bulk...but don't forget to include the cost of the U-Haul truck and gas to pick them up. $25 IS an ideal price...locally. Shipping is always more than $25. Due to the reality of life...I have adopted a price rule of: I want to pay $100 or less for a vintage. This is for something desirable, and less than common. I have however violated this rule...My last 2 machines were $140, & $120...but both were very uncommon and were worth breaking the rules. And both came from the west coast, where all the good ones are. However I'm doing my best to bring the best of the west coast pachinko machines to Dayton, Ohio!
    All 80 (closer to 85 now.) are under $30 each including the hotel, gas, and the U-haul. Quite a great find. . Only thing I can't include in the cost is the time driving there and back, And Johns help in packing them.

I usually don't buy unless it is under $30. Except for the 2 PF machines I have. I paid more for those.

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

All 80 (closer to 85 now.) are under $30 each including the hotel, gas, and the U-haul. Quite a great find. . Only thing I can't include in the cost is the time driving there and back, And Johns help in packing them.

I usually don't buy unless it is under $30. Except for the 2 PF machines I have. I paid more for those.
    A great catch indeed! There are a couple in that catch I would like to buy...but I'm sure my taste for the obscure will make everything I want fall into the "NOT FOR SALE GROUP".