Thread: My MAME Project Combo MAME/Pachinko Cabinet

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default My MAME Project (Combo MAME/Pachinko Cabinet)

I'm really bad about starting things and not finishing. This is in theory started and is currently stuck waiting for me to get my carver repaired.

My basic plan is to make a cabinet that is a bit more than 42 inches wide, use a 42" 3D LCD panel for the MAME screen, and have a pachinko on each side facing outward.

This is my screen mockup. The cardboard is the exact size of my other 42" 3D TV. However in a bad turn of events, they no longer make the LCD TV I was going to use, so I'll have to come up with an alternative. Should have bought one when I was looking at them. I was gauging how far out a machine would stick if I put the pachinkos on the side rather than just having blank cabinet sides or carved sides. The cardboard isn't the right height, just checking width there.
    Mockup.jpg

So I figured a shallow box for the panel, and pachinkos on the sides, and then a panel for the controls. Here's the evolution of my panel:
    MAME_TOP1.jpgMAME_TOP2.jpgMAME_TOP3.jpg
    I started with a deeper board for the panel, but then decided if I made it narrower I could do a single chop on the carver and have everything cut on that side. The back side I have slight indentations for the joy bases. This is all just mockup now, if my carver was working I could throw a piece of wood on it and carve it right out. That was my thought, build one, see how it goes, if I like it, throw another board on and do a second, or third. My first doesn't have the trackball spot, the last image I've angled the front corners.

I picked up buttons/joys and a trackball, the ipac interface and wiring to turn all those buttons into USB.
    ButtonsJoys.jpgipac.jpeg

The buttons/joys were about $88, the trackball, ipac, wiring, etc were about twice that. Light Guns I plan to add also, they'll be another $180 for a pair. And then of course some kind of PC. I have spares, but I think I'll likely get a new PC for the system.

I also have an external drive I'm configuring with Hyperspin and the games. It's a 1.5TB drive and currently has almost 300GB of stuff for the system. I need to get unlazy and finish that, but I'm configuring it all as drive H, so in theory I can just plug it in to any PC and map the drive as H and the games should play.

So as planned I'll have a 4 player MAME facing the main part of the room, and pachinkos on each side facing the sides of the room. Another factor in thinking the Pachinkos would work well there is to weight balance the cabinet. LCDs don't weigh as much as CRTs, so the cabinet would be front heavy with just controls there.

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to doa12

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My MAME Project

Wow, This sounds like a really cool project..So, stop being lazy, I wanna see more!!

Would you mind if I added something about it being a combo mame/pachinko cabinet to the title of the thread?? I think it would help it get more interest from the non mame people and I figure the more people that follow this thread the more pressure you'll feel to complete it and the more posts I'll get to see!!
    Last edited by MrGneiss; 06-23-2012 at 04:56 AM.

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by MrGneiss View Post
    Would you mind if I added something about it being a combo mame/pachinko cabinet to the title of the thread?? I think it would help it get more interest from the non mame people and I figure the more people that follow this thread the more pressure you'll feel to complete it and the more posts I'll get to see!!
    That would be fine by me.

I had goofed a bit with Hyperspin getting it to run the way I want, still have certain launch issues but for the most part it does what I'll want eventually. A few things require interaction before they actually run, but I'm fairly certain that is just command line options I'm not filling out correctly.

I'm expecting to take step by step pics as I do wiring and setup, so there should be quite a few images eventually.

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by doa12 View Post
    That would be fine by me.

I had goofed a bit with Hyperspin getting it to run the way I want, still have certain launch issues but for the most part it does what I'll want eventually. A few things require interaction before they actually run, but I'm fairly certain that is just command line options I'm not filling out correctly.

I'm expecting to take step by step pics as I do wiring and setup, so there should be quite a few images eventually.
    Hyperspin is a great way to go for a frontend I have it on my machine but I am also running game consoles as well as MAME in it. clrmamepro is a useful tool in getting your files straight. Its not unusual to log in over 200 hours just getting all the software running right (near 100%) with all the themes and videos too. Not the type of project to be done quickly.
    notice

Notice

Warning: Author of this post has delusions of being mentally competent.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but i'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

8. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to subdude

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My MAME Project (Combo MAME/Pachinko Cabinet)

It would have been great if I had uploaded my pattern I'd created for the carver that I posted pics of before; my main PC's hard drive just disappeared (would not be seen by any PC it was plugged into) and I stupidly did not have a backup of the pattern. That coupled with a shattered head on my original carver made me reluctant to redraw it. I do have the rendered pattern on the memory card that goes into the carver, but that's one way so if I need to make changes to tweak it, I can't.

Since I had so many other issues I kind of gave up on using my CNC/carver to make the 4 player Mame control board so bought one. This is the top... but I'm slow at getting the buttons in I move it every time I need into the deepfreeze it is sitting on. I also bought more buttons as I got the option for Pinball flipper buttons for the base of that 4 player top; and got a large 'Rock Me' button for the pinball launch button that came from a Flinstones pinball machine.

MameBought.jpg