Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Building a ball lift

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Building a ball lift

Had a little time to putter with the ball lift so I finished up the exit chute and mounted it. Started the motor and started feeding balls. I'm a little worried that my motor won't handle a full stack of balls, but I haven't been able to test it until now. Anyway, it jams. But it's not the motor; there's not enough room at the exit notch now that the chute is in place. Now I'm in the "I have to take the whole thing apart just to fix one little thing" trap. Good thing this is just a hobby.
    ...please don't tell my wife I bought another pachinko; I told her I went to the breast bar...

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to jdmorse

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Keep at it. Sounds like you are makig progress
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Got the exit chute working and got a full load of balls on the screw and something jams up. The motor is a little weak but the jam was about 2/3 of the way up. I'm guessing that the pitch of the screw is uneven. Fixable.
    ...please don't tell my wife I bought another pachinko; I told her I went to the breast bar...

6. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to jdmorse

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I got a new motor yesterday, an AC gearmotor. It's rated 200 rpm, which is about how fast the other motor runs. It's really strong too, no stalling out now! I'm going to set it up as a direct drive because it only turns one way, and this is easiest. My enthusiasm for this is definitely up!

8. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to jdmorse

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Discovered a new problem; when there is a full load of balls on the screw (73-77, I keep losing count) the side load can be too much for the bearing at the bottom of the screw. I found this out when I dumped said full load all over the bench and floor while I was adjusting something. When the new motor is installed, it may hold the screw down enough to prevent this, or I can come up with something different on the bottom. I suspect that redoing the bottom bearing is the "right way" (tm) to do this, but it will involve a greater amount of fiddling about.

10. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to jdmorse

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Solved the side load problem! Easier fix than I thought. Coupler for new motor came in from McMaster-Carr. Time, I need more time!

12. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to jdmorse

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow! When things come together...
    Now I can focus on the feed tray.
    The reason it's so tall is that I had envisioned some sort of delivery system that would allow it to feed multiple machines, so I left room to work.
    As it sits it will lift 200 balls/minute with ease.

There was much thinking1.JPGnew motor.jpgThe bottom fix.jpgexit chute.jpg

14. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to jdmorse

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks good. Can't wait to see a video of it in action.

100 machines and counting...

16. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ran up against the first road block. How to get the balls to line up without getting stuck. More research is indicated. I'll be browsing the rest of the forum looking for inspiration. My lack of real engineering skills is showing.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Some kind of shaker device? A little vibration may help to unstil balls.

19. The following user says "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There are some really cool shaker based designs. My main inspiration is the payout hopper on the pachinko machine itself. You dump balls in and they rarely get stuck.

21. The following user says "Thanks" to jdmorse

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Kinda stalled out right now on this project. I'm trying to see what a support structure at the base will look like that will allow me the easiest options for trying various ball feeding ideas. Spent some time just playing a machine and watching the balls in the shoot chute. Just to make things more fun; I'm rearranging the room in the next week or so and the pachinkos will go from the east wall to the south wall. Stay tuned.

23. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to jdmorse

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That that worked out well! I'm sliding the pachinko table out in order to move the new shelves in and one of the table legs collapses. Fortunately, the pachinkos were not on the table, but the ball lift was. So far the only damage is the fan broke off the motor and the motor has a funny wobble that may just be an alignment issue. The table is one of those two legged task/computer tables and two screws were missing from the lame leg. So after I fix the table and finish rearranging the room maybe I'll be ready to figure out how to feed balls into the lift.

25. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to jdmorse

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Been awhile, I know. Got the room rearranged and stuff is getting put away. Resisted the urge to buy another pachinko on CL that's been there for awhile and is now at $30. Trying to get my head around the ball feed problem, but it's looking like building the lift was the easy part. Played one of my machines for awhile to watch the balls move in the front tray. What I think I'm trying to do is come up with some kind of test bed that I can try different things on; I don't know what that looks like yet. The nice weather isn't helping either. There's gardens to dig and motorcycles to ride.

27. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to jdmorse

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I understand your pain with ball jamming problems, that and action/reaction side thrust, ruined my first design. I chose to side step those problems by eliminating them. I am hoping to have time in about 3 weeks to build a nice proto that will feed my two machines.

29. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to rockston

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4