Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Power Supplies for machines - help for the electronically dis-inclined.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Post Power Supplies for machines - help for the electronically dis-inclined.

I'm such a putz when it comes to electronics - and power.
    Help an idiot out?

I'm about to get a shipment of pachinkos from the USA to Australia. All of them will have AC 110 vot power supplies fitted I assume, as these would have been changed over when shipped from Japan, for use in your fair land.

Now I'm aware without touching a thing, I could get these machines working with a step up transformer, so they run on the 240volt mains power here. But those are very expensive on a per machine basis, so I would much prefer to replace the supplied power packs and put in these : PowerVolt - Slot Machine Transformers, Vending Transformers, Custom Transformers

This SMR5-24-2CTC-AU model accepts a 230 volt input and outputs 24VAC @ 5 Amps and has the AUS power plug built in, as I have one on my existing (and only) machine. Only problem is, PowerVolt haven't made these AUS versions for more than 4 years, so the one I have fitted must have been done here awhile back.

So, what I need is a local transformer, in the same rough configuration with an AUS power plug fitted, right?
    OR, could I source PowerVolts model above, with a standard USA plug, and simply cut off the plug and replace it with an AUS one - would that work?

thank you
    There is always another machine around the corner...

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Power Supplies for machines - help for the electronically dis-inclined.

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Power Supplies for machines - help for the electronically dis-inclined.

ok
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes replacing the plug end will be no problem as long as you don't switch wires around such as hooking load line to ground.
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

6. The following user says "Thanks" to yose

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would have to say no you can't cut off the plug and use an Aus plug. The US transformer is wound for 110vac. If you connect it to a 230vac supply your output wouldn't be 24vac but nearer 50vac.

All transformers I have brought have been just the transformer. So have had to fit a length of flex to it with a UK plug on the end. I don't know Aus suppliers for such things but you would be better to get locally.
    Last edited by Drunkenclam; 06-07-2012 at 05:19 PM.
    Ian #UKPachinko

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Try this one, rated at 8.3A or search the site for a smaller one. I use the 12A version, it's great, never gets hot. Even after hours of play.
    They do cheaper rates for bulk buying.
    As you can tell I'm on the iPhone

Buy Toroid Transformers Transformer,toroidal,200VA,24V,58-0200-024-D Nuvotem 58-0200-024-D online from RS for next day delivery.

If it lists VA instead of Amps . Look for one 125VA or higher.
    Ian #UKPachinko

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    I would have to say no you can't cut off the plug and use an Aus plug. The US transformer is wound for 110vac. If you connect it to a 230vac supply your output wouldn't be 24vac but nearer 50vac.
    Are you sure? Remember the one I'm quoting from the website lists as the following: SMR5-24-2CTC model specifically accepts a 230 volt input and outputs 24VAC @ 5 Amps , just has a US plug. If I change plugs, it should be OK?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    Try this one, rated at 8.3A or search the site for a smaller one. I use the 12A version, it's great, never gets hot. Even after hours of play.
    They do cheaper rates for bulk buying.
    As you can tell I'm on the iPhone

Buy Toroid Transformers Transformer,toroidal,200VA,24V,58-0200-024-D Nuvotem 58-0200-024-D online from RS for next day delivery.

If it lists VA instead of Amps . Look for one 125VA or higher.
    Hmm, $90 for each one isn't cheap, and I need 10 of them.

A US transformer usually runs around $25 each... much better choice if I can use them.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes it has to be a 230 volt input to 24 volt output. Changing the plug end to your needs is ok . Like stated before just don't cross the wires ,as in black to green, a no no .Keep the color codes true to each other.

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry I miss read, problem with trying to see on a small phone screen.
    As long as its the one from the RH column then that should be fine,
    Ian #UKPachinko

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi candyflip
    i just got my 1st pachisko machine star wars from japan to australia qld and need a 24v transfomer and wanted to ask were u ended getting yours one from? i been to jaycar and found these 25V-0-25V 160VA Toroidal Transformer - Jaycar Electronics would one of them do the job do u know? the back of the machine says 24v 250va but the guy that sent it over said i just need 24v 156va? i am a noob at this 1st machine so any help u could send my way would be great thxs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

156va is 6.5A at 24v. Should be ok for most but the newest high powered graphics machines. Although I'm a stickler for following instructions. I would use a bigger one. If you go for it, just keep an eye on the transformer temperature. If it gets hot quickly. Turn it off and get a bigger transformer.
    Ian #UKPachinko

19. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by icewolf007 View Post
    i been to jaycar and found these 25V-0-25V 160VA Toroidal Transformer - Jaycar Electronics would one of them do the job do u know?
    I'd choose the 12V-0-12V version instead (2x12V = 24v!). The reason being if you get twin 24v (or 25v) secondaries, you have to be 100% sure you've wired them up right, if you don't, you'll either short the transformer and probably damage it (if you get parallel secondaries out of phase), or feed 48v to your pachinko machine and damage it (secondaries wired in series to give 2x24v).

If you get twin 12v secondaries, then if you wire them incorrectly, you'll either get 12v or no volts and it just won't work, but no dangerous voltages or currents, and significantly less chance of any damage to the transformer or pachinko machine.

The other way is to get the 25-0-25V 300VA transformer, and use one secondary for one pachinko, and the other one for another pachinko (you're not only going to have one now, are you?)

21. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thxs guys for the info i think ill play is safe and go for the 160va 12x12 as only got 1 machine for now.. would like to get a pachislo at some stage but lol again thxs heaps for the info ill go order that transformer now

Thanks
    Thanks Received

just wanted to say thxs for all the info i got and i ended up getting the 12v-12v 160va and got the machine to at least boot up not working but at least boot up

pachinko test run star wars - YouTube

tech support link for replies:
    noob in need of help with 1st machine star wars (Advent Vader) pachinko
    Last edited by hanabi; 06-27-2012 at 03:34 AM. Reason: added tech support thread link for replies

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So I've decided against replacing all the transformers (I have 10 machines to do) and instead, I'm going to buy a step-down transformer (240-->110 volts) and hook maximum 2 machines, plus a ball lifter, up at the same time.

Based on the rough understanding that each modern machine will probably pull around 150-250 watts, and the Silver ball lifter a guestimated 200 watts when really cranking, I'm going to need something around 6-700 watts total load capacity.

In which case, I'm planning on using this : RPG - SXKK4015 - STEPDOWN TRANSFORMERS

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've got 9 machines on 1 circuit but at any one time there's never more than 5 machines powered on. I have them all powered by a step down transformer at 100V as in Japan. To make it easy to use each machine I have a small toggle power switch on each one before each machine's transformer. This way I don't have to walk to the power strip amidst all the cords to plug in a machine or find a switch.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

26. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You will be fine with that transformer.I too have a switch on each machine for each to kill the transformers,so I can choose whitch machine to play at any time.

28. The following user says "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just sent you a e mail about the Lifter. And for all that want to know about how much "Juice" they Need.

Here are the stats on the Lifter. This is connected to 120 volt A.C. (U.S. supply)

With the Lifter On and under Load (moving Sphere's)

AMP rating - 0.44 Amps.
    Watt Rating - 26 Watts.

This is what I use to measure my Pachi's Hunger. :

P3 International Kill A Watt, Watt Meter - Mfg# P4400

After ALL was put in the front bed room, now game room had to upgrade the electrical feed to it. Went from wiring for a 15 amp breaker to a 30 amp to be sure.
    2 Pinn Ball Machines
    6 Pachinko's
    10 Pachislo's
    5 wall signs
    4 lights.

Spoiler
    Last edited by new in town; 08-08-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    72 Pachi's, 36 Pachinko's, 2 Pallots, 3 Pinn's & 2 Pachinko Bar Signs. Links to About Me: pachijunkie's Videos

30. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to new in town

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Post Re: Power Supplies for machines - help for the electronically dis-inclined.

So a ball lifter under load only eats 26 watts total??? That would be less than your toaster...

I must be doing the sums wrong???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast