Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I FINALLY got me one! Yaaay! Jumping up and down

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: I FINALLY got me one! Yaaay! (Jumping up and down)

Note: The paint is much smoother than shows here in the photos. The lower quality .jpg file format added artifacts.
    If you enjoy my pachinko, pinball and pachislo YouTube videos, please "like" them at:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SirSteveFury

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice job. Don't know if u used a sharpie for the key lines but Varathane will cause it to bleed and then you have a possibly irreversible mess and a lot more work. Plenty of posts on RGP about it. Enamel is fine or just use black acrylic.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

3. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks again Emmadog.

Yea, I was so tempted to get a sharpie pen, then I found a sharpie paint pen that dispenses actual oil paint. But I wasn't sure about the reaction to oil paint, acrylic, enamel and Varathane. My daughter showed an interest to paint the black borders so that's what she did with the acrylic.
    If you enjoy my pachinko, pinball and pachislo YouTube videos, please "like" them at:

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's really looking good.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very Big Congratulations!
    Spirit of '76 was my favorite to play on Microsoft's Pinball Arcade cd. I only have the Williams Tri Zone though.
    Am enjoying your restoration process details. Thank you.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Lou

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've been spending almost all my spare time on this machine. Most of my time has been spent on fixing little details on the playfield while I waited for supplies to arrive in the post.
    The Miniwax Clear Polycrylic arrived yesterday. Some of the lighted plastic playfield inserts have warped and turned concave which effects game play. The Polycrylic will fill the concave to make them flat again. I am hoping to get the Varathane clear coat today so I can begin spraying tomorrow morning.

The plastic playfield part photographed below seems to be a popular item to break on quite a few Spirit of 76's. It is located right above the outhole where the ball pops back out. I am hoping that I did a permanent fix for this by making a small stainless steel insert and gluing with JB Weld. I can buy a new set for around $70-80 but I want to avoid that cost. Same thing with the pop bumpers. They aren't broken but the OEM paint has faded/smeared. I decided to mask and repaint them instead of paying $45 for new ones. The paint I used is acrylic which may be a mistake because it doesn't stick to plastic very well. I guess we'll see if the vibrations of the bumper cause it to flake. If it does then it's easy to fix.

Some photos below of my repainted pop bumpers, a couple original photos and one stock photo of how they "should" look as a new OEM part. The stock photo is very clear, my original photo of the 3 pop bumpers are fuzzy. My repainted bumpers look ... well... repainted but I'm OK with that given the replacement cost.

IMG_3953.jpgIMG_3954.jpgIMG_3955.jpgIMG_3578.jpgIMG_3581.jpgimage-9.jpgIMG_3958.jpg

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to SteveFury

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh yea... I have all the parts I need for the playfield coming in the mail. Hopefully I'll get them early next week.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok here's a quiick progress update.

I have all the formerly concave inserts filled and flattened with the Polycrylic. Geeze that is some really hard stuff! If ever have the opporuniy to do this again I'll be sure to do the filling and flattening while the insert is removed from the playboard... not in it!

I had made a cool sanding tool to avoid damaging the surrounding playfield. It's just a piece of 18g steel cut and angled at the end to make a small flat surface to focus sanding. (See the pics)
    To get an idea of how hard this Polycrylic is, I counted about 3000 sanding strokes focused on the small flat sanding surface of my tool to flatten about 1/8 of an insert. I used #220 paper. I tried #150 but that was too harsh.

In the mean time the last expected box of parts and supplies have arrived and I hope to spray my 1st clear coat of Varathane tonight.

I admit to being increasingly impatient to get this project finished.

IMG_3966.JPGIMG_3967.JPG

13. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to SteveFury

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nice. Thanks for the tips on insert flattening.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

15. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nice work! I have enjoyed following your progress!

17. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

4 layers of Varathane have been sprayed. The photo is taken moments after spraying. I plan to let this dry then sand and see how it is before possibly laying another coat.
    So far so good.

IMG_3981.JPG

19. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to SteveFury

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I did a light sanding on the play board last night and gave a final very heavy coat of Varathane.

I brought the board back in from the painting area this morning and put it back into the machine under reflective lights for a good inspection. I have a lot of sanding lines from the work done last night. I'll need to go over them with finer paper and orange peel to flatten after the spray cures.

I think it will work out just fine. Certainly not NOS quality but will definetly look good. No comparrison to what I started out with. You can still see a milky cloudiness in some of the inserts, the Varathane hasn't cured in there yet.

I also did a lot of other little things like leaning the cash box and legs with steel wool, cleaning the tilt plumb bob parts and filled the lightbox with new #47's. The lightbox glass looks great. Someday when all of this repair is finished I'll need to break it all back down and redo the cabinet.

I fired it up without the playboard plugged in and all 16 of my score reels are resetting/operating properly. Lightbox looks great. There's still plenty of little things to do while waiting for the Varathane to finish curing.

I hope to have the patience to let this sit and cure a couple few weeks. Chomping at the bit to get this project done. In the mean time I am playing A LOT of Microsoft Pinball Arcade during work breaks etc, particualarly this machine. It's not the same but it helps with my patience.

I still have a 40's-50's Gold Union pachiniko disassembled and stored in buckets to finish.playboard.JPGlines.JPGbackglass.jpg

21. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to SteveFury

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've been doing a few things while I wait for the playboard to dry. I just couldn't take the drab and scraped up appearance of my lightbox cabinet so I removed it from the machine and once again stripped it of all parts and painted it semigloss white. The original paint had tiny splatter specs of black in it like the photo below. I was able to reproduce the splatter effect using a can of flat black paint, an cheap paintbrush and block of wood. I put a little paint in the very tip of the brush and knocked off any larger clumps into a waste area by smacking the brush handle against the block of wood. Once the pattern wasn't clumpy I did the same procedure, knocking the brush against the block and let it splatter onto the painted white lightbox. It turned out pretty good.

I won't have a budget for the other colors for a while... and I don't want to post pics of the unfinished lightbox yet.

As I wait for the playboard to dry, I'm still finding little things to do as I wait. It seems endless. I often study the schematic to try and figure out how every part of this machine works. It's a pretty complicated circuit. For example a relay "down here" opens a switch "up there" which de-energizes another relay which has switches on another part of the schematic which operates another relay. I'd toss the idea of figuring it out, but I find relay logic kind of fascinating.

I made an animation of the score reel operation in my quest to figure it out. If anyone has a machine that uses this type of score reel they might find this animation handy.

IMG_3962.JPGScore Reel Switch Animation.jpg

23. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to SteveFury

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It looks like PachiTalk isn't accepting GIF files, so I've posted the animation here:
    sc_reel_ani.gif

25. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to SteveFury

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This project is almost finished.

I've lightly sanded the playboard and applied three coats of Meguiar's Gold Carnauba wax. Everything was reassembled and adjusted. A few minor things remain to be done like fixing some intermittent light sockets. The game is a lot of fun and our family have had a bunch of competitions on it. The only thing left is to finish spraying the cabinet and to get a new playfield glass. I have compiled a video of this for the YouTube page.

cabinet_sm.jpgplayboard_sm.jpgplayboard2_sm.jpgopen_sm.jpginside_sm.jpgPlayboard Photomerge sm.jpg

Full size images are here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~stevedez/pinball/cabinet.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~stevedez/pinball/coin_door_int.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~stevedez/pinball/inside.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~stevedez/pinball/open.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~stevedez/pinball/playboard.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~stevedez/pinball/playboard2.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~stevedez/pinball/playboard_merge.jpg
    (The bottom link is to a 3 piece photomerge)

Thanks for all the encouragement on this game!

27. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to SteveFury

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice job, sweet video!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

29. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Excellent job! That video you made is pretty darn cool, too. You really highlighted the machine nicely.

31. The following user says "Thanks" to Ripweade

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If anyone happens to wonder... Yes I am still working on this project with an update.

I've played 2.4 zillion games and repairing any little problem which develops. Minor things like winning the match feature on player #2 scored 5 matches. That took a few minutes to figure out, and it turned out to be switch stack 2A on the score motor was binding on switch stack 1A, holding the switch closed causing the 5 pulses to the add bonus solenoid. Repositioning the stack was the fix.

Another problem was the broken graphic over the center hole.
    I thought I had it fixed before (In a previous post #46) with the stainless steel tab JB Weld'ed on the back. But that graphic plastic broke again after only the first few balls. I was going to just leave it, except the broken plastic was effecting game play.

The ball would be accurately shot from the flipper and partially fall down into the hole then strike the opposite side of the hole causing it to jump up. It would then strike the chrome backing, and travel up to smack the plastic graphic causing breakage.
    What is worse, the broken plastic allowed the ball to deflect out and away from the hole making it nearly impossible to score a hole.

The only logical and permanent fix I could think of was to make a new rigid steel plate the same shape as the graphic to properly deflect the ball. So I made the plate, sprayed several coats of Rust-Olium brown and clear coat. I re-glued the graphic and set it ontop of the steel before reinstalling the chrome acorn nuts. I don't see how any stress could possibly reach this graphic to re-break it.

There is no playfield light underneath the graphic as there are in other areas of the playfield... and I think the chocolate brown cover adds a bit of "mystique" to the illuminated red hole in the dark, arcane area.

I haven't had a chance to test this setup in an actual game (House is asleep @ 4:05am), but it seems to work great by manually flicking the ball into it. Can't hardly wait to test it in a game tomorrow. I plan to have one more entry in this thread of a 100% completed machine and will let you know if this is a good fix or not.
    I see a lot of photos of other people's SO76 machines with this broken graphic. Maybe this info might help someone.

I've ordered the tempered glass from my local glass shop and hope to pick it up tomorrow. I'm jazzed. In the mean time I've been very busy getting "everything" done so I won't need to keep removing/installing the glass again to fix things. I think I have it all done.

I remade all the various labels which were found on the cabinet bottom. I didn't want to just buy generic blank labels and have them eventually fall off again. I created new labels using Open Office with the Aharoni font which seems to be exact to the original labels and printed them on ordinary printer stock paper with the laser printer.

I also scanned all the score cards I have, touched them all up using Photoshop... removing dirty spots and fixing scratched/missing parts of letters. I am missing a couple score cards so I recreated them. I also did the same with the 3 and 5 ball instruction cards. These were also printed on regular stock paper with the laser printer.

I didn't want the printed paper to be effected by humidity so I sprayed both sides of all the printed sheets (about 8 sheets) with clear lacquer paint. Then I cut out all the instruction cards, score cards and labels.

I used some sticky glue to fasten all the labels onto their perspective positions on the relay, play and lightbox boards. Once the glue was dry I really stuck them on good with a layer of Polycrylic left over from the playboard restoral. (Painted on with a small brush not sprayed)

I just couldn't leave the bottom white playboard apron the way it was with faded red paint. I used the red, white and blue acrylic paint and re-did it with a fine brush along with the shooter gauge. Since acrylic paint is relatively fragile and susceptible to damage, I applied a couple coats of clear lacquer over all of it.

I am really just beside myself waiting for the glass, and the only thing left is respraying the cabinet. Like most everyone, money is tight and I'll need to wait until the Mrs. "Ok's" the paint. I figure 2 cans of white, and one can each of red and blue.

I've been keeping track of all work done on this project and to date it's around 120 hours. Whew! That's a lot!
    Like I said, I hope my next entry here will be my last for this machine. It should be 100% done at that time. I'll also post my work log if anyone is interested.

Below are details of my broken graphic repair, some label pics and the lower apron and shooter gauge before/after shots.

Graphic repair:Graphic mounts.jpgGraphic Steel Plate.jpgGraphic Fixed.jpg Before/after skirt painting:Repainted Skirt.jpg Labels:Lightbox Labels.jpgReplay Unit.jpg

33. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to SteveFury

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3