Thread: New here & New to Pachinko, got some questions

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Talking New here & New to Pachinko, got some questions

My buddy had this pachinko machine up on a shelf in his cabinet shop, uncovered (for at least 5 years, he bought it 15 years ago at a garage sale). It was BAD when I got it, covered in laminate glue, saw dust, some paint & about 10 varieties of bug carcasses & crap. It has a few missing parts, screws & a couple broken/modified parts. The balls I bought from vintagepachinko.com make the ones that came with it look like rabbit turds. I wish I had taken more "Before" pictures these are all I got, I didn't think it would ever work, let alone me get it back together right. I will take the after shots when im finished with the wires and lights.

any-who, on to my questions..

1. has anyone installed Gaku2006's counter to a machine like this? is there a build log/thread of the install? most interested in how the win counter works? The balls just dump out the tray in nothing close to a single file line... I'm talkin with him through ebay, but pics would be great.

2. what is this center feature called? Looks like a guy with fans

3. if you look at the picture of the tulips, 2 match and 1 doesn't. was one a replacement or was it in the wrong spot? (I moved the offending one to the middle and swapped the guts "symmetry" or "OCD" call it what you like)

Pachinko Back.jpgPachinko Center.jpgPachinko Front 01.jpgPachinko Jackpot mech.jpgPachinko Playfield.jpgPachinko Tulips.jpg

2. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to 6of1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New here & New to Pachinko, got some questions

I don't know what the CF is actually called. But the themes are kinda random. So just call it what you like.

I'm not sure on the tulips. The odd single one should be the center one. But the only way to tell is to take them out and check the back of them. There is a Left, and Right tulip. You should have 2 right tulips and one left. (or 2 left and one right.) The way to tell Left and right tulips is by the opening on which the ball exits. If the opening is on the left (looking from the back) you have a right tulip.

Any further questions just ask.

-Max

100 machines and counting...

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello

Welcome to PachiTalk!!

Sorry posting from my iPod at the moment, but here's a link to one of our members recent threads

Tommy4132 has recently installed gaku ball counter to his vintage pachinko, here's the link:

Inspired by CarlW

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by hanabi View Post
    Hello

Welcome to PachiTalk!!

Sorry posting from my iPod at the moment, but here's a link to one of our members recent threads

Tommy4132 has recently installed gaku ball counter to his vintage pachinko, here's the link:

Inspired by CarlW
    Here is the original thread posted by CarlW. With wiring diagram and parts list.

Fully CYCLIC Vintage - Page 2

8. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    I don't know what the CF is actually called. But the themes are kinda random. So just call it what you like.

I'm not sure on the tulips. The odd single one should be the center one. But the only way to tell is to take them out and check the back of them. There is a Left, and Right tulip. You should have 2 right tulips and one left. (or 2 left and one right.) The way to tell Left and right tulips is by the opening on which the ball exits. If the opening is on the left (looking from the back) you have a right tulip.

Any further questions just ask.

-Max
    well when i pulled the tulips off the play-field I did notice the difference in direction they release the ball. I believe they were in the right positions b/c the machine worked correctly (or at least it looked good to me). I ended up removing the tulip (plastic) from the trap (metal back with ball exit) and switched them so at least it looked good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hanabi View Post
    Hello

Welcome to PachiTalk!!

Inspired by CarlW

Here is the original thread posted by CarlW. With wiring diagram and parts list.

Fully CYCLIC Vintage - Page 2
    Anybody do it on a non-cyclic modded machine? those links did answer the question about the win counter though (i wasn't sure how it would count the 15 balls when they don't come out single file to the tray) i now see we can set the counter to count 1 ball as 15 so i could mount the pickup sensor to the end of the see-saw ramps (only one comes out here per jackpot)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by 6of1 View Post

2. what is this center feature called? Looks like a guy with fans

The guy's face is made from Japanese characters. Here is a link from wiki Henohenomoheji - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It kind of reminds me of Kakashi, or a scarecrow

11. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to kurisu

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome Aboard

Neat looking machine, and as if by magic, One appeared on YJA overnight with the same CF

Besta

Ian #UKPachinko

13. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice machine there 6of1.
    That looks EXACTLY like the CF (now) officially dubbed "Guy with fans"...

I agree, ya just gotta take a lot of "before" pictures before a restore. I hope you can get the parts you need.

By the way, Welcome to PachiTalk !
    If you enjoy my pachinko, pinball and pachislo YouTube videos, please "like" them at:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SirSteveFury

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFury View Post
    Nice machine there 6of1.
    That looks EXACTLY like the CF (now) officially dubbed "Guy with fans"...

I agree, ya just gotta take a lot of "before" pictures before a restore. I hope you can get the parts you need.

By the way, Welcome to PachiTalk !
    I think i have to give this one to kurisu. it looks a lot like a scarecrow to me now, all the patches and stuff.. Also when you look closely at the red things on the upper ring they look like birds. When i told the wife it was a scarecrow she said "That's a lil freaky, don't ya think?". FYI that movie Jeepers Creepers it was not a good idea to watch with her.

16. The following user says "Thanks" to 6of1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Can't find the pics right now, but I have a model "A" with the same center feature.
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is the back plastic after a cleaning in the garage with engine degreaser and then the hose, then into the kitchen for a dish soap wash rinse & dry. The wife wasn't to pleased about the kitchen mess.. I was extremely lucky this thing sat on the shelf the way it did in his shop. If that contact cement/laminate glue got on the back this machine would have been screwed..
    Pachinko Parts in Kitchen.jpg

Here is the front after about 100 Q-tips, 1 pint of cabinet cleaner (like paint thinner/acetone), Brasso on the metal parts and WD-40 to clean the glue from the plastic parts. In the pics you might not be able to see it but the difference is night and day.. I know this b/c when I first got it the wife said "strait to the garage with that" and now its ok on the counter, lol..
    Pachinko Front Cleaned Up.jpg

Here is the back all cleaned and in working order, with the new balls and a super cleaning this thing works great. I know from pulling it apart that the guy that designed it and the guy that built it were 2 different types of people. I know that the guy that drew this mess up never intended for all this plastic to be stapled to the back (what a pain in the a$$). when I reinstalled it i used #4 x 1/2 inch stainless screws, its a shame they had to screw it up mashing staples into the plastic...
    Pachinko Back Cleaned Up.jpg

All in all, I'm very pleased with it.. I debated on taking the cleaning further by polishing the pins, replacing the plexi, maybe see if i could find a less rusty front frame, but I think I'm going to leave it alone. I have a few parts to replace on it still (it is in working order but rigged in some areas, like the bent CD case & tape for a lower ramp cover). I am upset its almost over though, I think it was more fun cleaning it up then playing it, lol..
    Second Ramp Cover Rigged.jpg

JB Welded Jackpot lever thing...
    JB Weld Repair.jpg

Anyone know why this notch is cut here? buddy said it was that way when he got it..
    Weird Notch cut out of first ramp.jpg

The very next bit i have to contend with is getting it off the counter. i started sketching up some wall hanging cabinet ideas (pretty much the same as everyone else). those ball lifters are neat but not nearly in my price range, I'm thinking the drawer and top box is the only way I'll be doing it.. I will be sure to post pics as I go ( If I remember, lol )

19. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to 6of1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WD-40 to clean the glue from the plastic parts.
    NO!!! Pachi-restoro rule #1 DON'T use WD-40. It is know to eat away at plastic. And also cause it to become brittle.

Anyone know why this notch is cut here? buddy said it was that way when he got it..
    I'm not 100% sure why that is there. There are only 2 conclusion I can come to about that.

1. someone did it as a "customization" but kinda messed it up.

OR

2. The factory did it to add an overflow chute onto the part. What that would have done was increase the size on the feeder opening, allowing more balls to rest in the chute. They might have forgotten to put on the chute though.

But it is most likely #1.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

NO!!! Pachi-restoro rule #1 DON'T use WD-40. It is know to eat away at plastic. And also cause it to become brittle.

I'm not 100% sure why that is there. There are only 2 conclusion I can come to about that.

1. someone did it as a "customization" but kinda messed it up.

OR

2. The factory did it to add an overflow chute onto the part. What that would have done was increase the size on the feeder opening, allowing more balls to rest in the chute. They might have forgotten to put on the chute though.

But it is most likely #1.
    yeah i knew the WD-40 wasn't the best idea, but when the plastic-chrome section on the bottom is covered in a layer of laminate adhesive for 5 years and the only way to remove it was WD-40 or cabinet cleaner (lacquer thinner) I decided to take my chances, My intention was to only leave it on long enough to soften the glue (which worked great after sitting for 5 min) then i washed the hell out of it with dish soap. Leaving it lookin the way it did was not an option, lol..

I wish I knew why someone would have cut that notch.. it hasn't caused any issues yet other then confusion.

At the end of the day the wife hasn't sent it back to the garage, that's all that matters ( for now anyways ).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

At the end of the day the wife hasn't sent it back to the garage, that's all that matters ( for now anyways ).
    I have two leaning up against the wall in the bedroom waiting for restore, two in the closet waiting for restore, and one on the kitchen table in the process of being re-assembled. I have a great wife.

Alan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by alancurry View Post
    I have two leaning up against the wall in the bedroom waiting for restore, two in the closet waiting for restore, and one on the kitchen table in the process of being re-assembled. I have a great wife.

Alan
    Whats really funny is the fact that I think she is worse then I am.. Looky Here
    But in all seriousness, some of us lucked out in the ol' lady department..
    My buddy that gave me this vintage machine is going through a divorce after 22 years.. She blindsided him like a truck on the train tracks..

24. The following user says "Thanks" to 6of1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Whats really funny is the fact that I think she is worse then I am.. Looky Here
    But in all seriousness, some of us lucked out in the ol' lady department..
    My buddy that gave me this vintage machine is going through a divorce after 22 years.. She blindsided him like a truck on the train tracks..
    I saw that thread. Nice.

I lucked out the second time. I'm like your buddy, blind sided on the first.

Alan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by alancurry View Post
    I saw that thread. Nice.

I lucked out the second time. I'm like your buddy, blind sided on the first.

Alan
    When I introduce my wife to new people I say "and this is my first wife, Alison" it keeps her on her toes.