Thread: a sad photo from Japan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default a sad photo from Japan

found this photo on the net. this company sells scrapped plastic. looks like many of our beloved machines are long gone.pachi s scraped.jpg

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to jh-ss44

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: a sad photo from Japan

Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

every one gets there first some time
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

DON'T POST THINGS LIKE THAT!

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry bunny !

9. The following user says "Thanks" to jh-ss44

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Absolutely breaks my heart!!!
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I don't DARE let my pachi's see that photo.
    If you enjoy my pachinko, pinball and pachislo YouTube videos, please "like" them at:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SirSteveFury

12. The following user says "Thanks" to SteveFury

Jon

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wish we had someone in Japan that could intercept a load going to be recycled and send them over here.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

seems to be only a few companies authorized to take the machines ,"unaltered" from the gaming halls , once they are done with them.
    not proven yet , but was told no secondary market for these in japan for these. the machines reportedly are new till about 3 years & gotten rid of (which I doubt). one official regulation I do know of , is after 3 year use any / all have to be fully looked over by their gaming commission , which is a special division of the police department.
    All gaming halls to be planed have to go through a long process with the local police before that hall & it's operator gets an o.k.
    Apparently (the Japanese people) are nuts on having new everything, replacing a 6 month old "electronic items" for the latest up grade, ect. ect.
    not sure what price tag the old machines sell for by these exporters...but the minimum I was offered was 200 machines (pachislos) OR 460 as ONE sale. any way you work the numbers , it's a boat load of money !!!
    Plus a crummy economy world wide , less machines leaving Japan ,more than these exporters can or want to sit on ,collecting dust in a dock warehouse.
    Most the the U.S. slot machine get destroyed after their use also. some get send back to the maker to go bye bye.
    buying these straight for the gaming halls , might save a few, & the price might be cheaper (cutting out the middle man), but still a ton of money to spend on them , shipping ,storing ,& attempting to sell.

15. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to jh-ss44

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Actually is a secondary marked over there ! did not under stand all of the translations. was a comment on permits.
    a company had many (of both machines), specially made stands ,odd accessories plus common ones.
    also had an island stand they make to handle 3 machines ,And if you bought that you could buy a Computer program that was linked to the machines to record every thing... tokens in / out ,wins ect.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well That is what Comastu Trading is, a recycler. I am pretty sure he is hooked into a few different halls takes and fixes up the machines and
    is trying to start up over here as well.
    I may not be the best guy, BUT I am not the bad guy!- Coop from Megas XLR

18. The following user says "Thanks" to KimbaWLion

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That was my understanding about Comatsu as well. I would love to see more people bringing machines over, but I guess we should be thankful for the few that do.

20. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Card Shark View Post
    That was my understanding about Comatsu as well. I would love to see more people bringing machines over, but I guess we should be thankful for the few that do.
    Well I think more people would bring them over but there are a few major issues.

1. Pachinko is still relatively undiscovered in the US.

2. The money needed to bring them over.

3. The more you bring over the more that will flood the market and kill their selling price.

Those are about the biggest issues I see with importing tons of them.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think you are absolutely right. Besides, the fact that the market isn't flooded makes the hunt more fun.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by jh-ss44 View Post
    seems to be only a few companies authorized to take the machines ,"unaltered" from the gaming halls , once they are done with them.
    not proven yet , but was told no secondary market for these in japan for these. the machines reportedly are new till about 3 years & gotten rid of (which I doubt). one official regulation I do know of , is after 3 year use any / all have to be fully looked over by their gaming commission , which is a special division of the police department.
    All gaming halls to be planed have to go through a long process with the local police before that hall & it's operator gets an o.k.
    Apparently (the Japanese people) are nuts on having new everything, replacing a 6 month old "electronic items" for the latest up grade, ect. ect.
    not sure what price tag the old machines sell for by these exporters...but the minimum I was offered was 200 machines (pachislos) OR 460 as ONE sale. any way you work the numbers , it's a boat load of money !!!
    Plus a crummy economy world wide , less machines leaving Japan ,more than these exporters can or want to sit on ,collecting dust in a dock warehouse.
    Most the the U.S. slot machine get destroyed after their use also. some get send back to the maker to go bye bye.
    buying these straight for the gaming halls , might save a few, & the price might be cheaper (cutting out the middle man), but still a ton of money to spend on them , shipping ,storing ,& attempting to sell.
    A few corrections in fact and history, if I may?

There is a secondary market for pachinkos in Japan and elsehwere, at both a retail level and a wholesale level. The retail level is (relatively) tiny, but not only are they traded on Yahoo Auctions (links all over this website forum) but also in many secondhand stores and online, that deal exclusively with pachinkos and pachislos for the home/interested parties market (have a look at Hollup in Japan : http://www.hollup.co.jp/ for one small example - just click on any of the links there). At the wholesale level, while the old way was for parlours to turn over their machines approximately every 3 MONTHS (not years) and ship them off to the dump, or for destruction (thus the prepondernace of old photos showing thousands of crushed plastic frames), parlours in the current climate are keeping their machines longer (6-12 months) and in some cases keeping them for years, and charging players just 1-2 Yen per ball instead of the regular 4 yen per ball of old days. Whole floors of older (3-5 years old, in some cases even older) machines are being kept around to wring every last yen out of the capital invested. When they do eventually turn over their machines on the main floor and go through their seasonal 'renewals' (http://www.pachinkohall-renewal.com/), a flood of new machines come in the door, and a flood of old ones go out. But now, these older machines are first shopped to other Asian (China, Malaysia etc) wholesale plastic and metal recyclers for a good easy yen or two. Then they might be offered (especially big name machines like Star Wars et.al.) as whole units to the secondary local retail market (Hollup and co..). And finally, someone like Comatsu on the ground in Japan, or Custom Pachinko in the States, both with excellent contacts to the Japanese halls or a secondary intermediary acting on their behalf for the wholesale market, can grab a tiny share of the millions of machines during these turnovers and offer them here and elsewhere.

The Japanese have always appreciated the new, and dumped the old (except their elderly). In Japan in the early 90's, myself and many other travellers furnished entire apartments with as new TV's, toasters, cookers, bicycles and couches, entirely sourced from the kerbside collections that the Japanese saw as 'gomi' (rubbish). But this has changed in recent years, for two good reasons (they are still hanging on to their elderly though ). The economy and a strong environmental push has forced a social change that means re-using items is no longer seen as being 'cheap', but rather thrifty. Further, the Japanese are now turning a tidy profit on things they once considered 'junk' (in fact, you will often see the Japanese use the English term 'junk' when referring to any secondhand item), but which the Western world is prizeing. Pachinkos and pachislos are most definitetly in the latter category for ourselves and others. So they have learned in the last 20 years to hang on to their used items with just a bit more pride than before.

The biggest hurdle for the Japanese now to offload these pachinkos elsewhere than in an electric crushing machine, is to get over dealing with foreigners. It's mostly fear - fear of our business dealings (which are so different to their's) and fear of using the language, English, which they are scared to fail at if not used properly. This is all cultural, and difficult to force and change. It may never happen. In the meantime, it is still far easier for them to dump machines for yen to other Asian neighbours (who do business the way they enjoy), or to locals who understand the mechanisms. Foreign Western retail customers are but a tiny blip on their collective radars.
    There is always another machine around the corner...

24. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to candyflip

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great post Mr Flip!!

3. The more you bring over the more that will flood the market and kill their selling price.
    So true..it happened about 6 years ago..And while it was happening it seemed great being able to get great new titles for under $100 or even under $50..but the aftermath wasn't so great..

To try to keep up with the one Japanese company dumping dozens of machines per day on ebay with $.99 starts all the sellers in the US had to lower their prices..but they couldn't compete and several places that had been good sources for pachis for several years disappeared or stopped carrying pachis..And then the Japanese company couldn't even make money anymore even with shill bidding on their auctions and stopped too..so for several years after that we were left mostly with just one place to get pachis in the US..

I'm happy we will hopefully be getting more selection in the US soon, I just hope what happened before never happens again..While it was Super great for a short time I feel it hurt the hobby in the US for several years after..

Last edited by MrGneiss; 05-09-2012 at 06:14 AM.

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

26. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss