Thread: Value of vintage arcade games vs. newly constructed multigame units?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Value of vintage arcade games vs. newly constructed multigame units?

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge or thoughts on the values of classic arcade games. For instance, is a 30-year old vintage Ms. Pacman in its original cabinet with original controls, etc. worth as much as, less than, or more than a 60 in 1 arcade game (with Ms. Pacman, etc.) that someone builds using a standard sized Williams cabinet, reproduced artwork, reproduced controls, etc. to look almost exactly like a vintage Ms. Pacman? Is or will the vintage machine ever be considered an "antique"? As an example, which of these two games is more likely to retain its value or increase in value over time? My questions have more to do with value, not the 59 extra games for additional home enjoyment. Thanks!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/tag/2938877980.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/atq/2937921195.html

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Value of vintage arcade games vs. newly constructed multigame units?

Actual vintage video games are considered collectible and have a value based on condition, desirablity of the game and some other factors.
    If you want a machine to play buy the 60 in 1 unit. If you want it to potentially be worth as much or more than you paid for it, go for a genuine machine.
    I remember when Pacmans were selling for $300 a piece, now they are worth about $900 is great shape.
    Ms. Pacman is actually not worth as much as an original Pacman.
    Demanding to see Life's Manager....

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Steve Cebu

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Value of vintage arcade games vs. newly constructed multigame units?

I have an old "All-American Football" that's been gathering dust in my garage. It's a four player. I was going to gut it and use the parts, but it still works. I guess Craigslist is the way to go on these to sell them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkfxmno7jrA
    Last edited by Meathead; 04-07-2012 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Added video link
    A Hardy har har...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cebu View Post
    Actual vintage video games are considered collectible and have a value based on condition, desirablity of the game and some other factors.
    If you want a machine to play buy the 60 in 1 unit. If you want it to potentially be worth as much or more than you paid for it, go for a genuine machine.
    I remember when Pacmans were selling for $300 a piece, now they are worth about $900 is great shape.
    Ms. Pacman is actually not worth as much as an original Pacman.
    not quite true i sell arcade games in a retail market
    it used to be impossible to buy a pacman/ms pacman /galaga for under 600$ now even a perfect pacman is lucky to sell for 800$

the problem is the top 3 i listed
    people used to think it was hard to find a pacman or the like but in all reality thoes three games are the most manfactured arcade games off all time so they are pretty musch a dime a dozen ,and now with the 60 in 1 machines the average person would rather purchase 1 game with all their favortite games than spend a ton on a single machine

the only arcade games that hold any sort of true colector value are games that were rare to begin with or have been made rare due to the games being failure prone

examples are
    dragons lair ,space ace,crossbow ,any of the decca cassete games

meathead
    All-American Football by leliand is a dime a dozen game even tho rare it was pretty much unheard of by most i have sold 10 or so of them and have yet to get anyone to pay over 250$

i do like the game it has awsome controls and in my oppinio0n one of the best football games ever made
    me personaly

6. The following user says "Thanks" to discgolfer72

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well perhaps in CA it's that way, but here in the NorthEast the prices are a bit different.
    Have fun finding any decent machines for a reasonable price.
    Maybe if they looked in California they'd get those prices.
    Demanding to see Life's Manager....

Thanks
    Thanks Received

im smack dab ithe middle of the usa and go to'auctions all over to stock my sales floor
    its tru if you look at ebay people ask 900-2500 for the staples like pac,galaga,dk
    but if you do a completed listing search you will see most sell for far less

to adress the op ? i think in the short term the multi game machines value is going to hold out but in say 30 years the value of the og games will sky rocket