Thread: Fuji/Jankyu Mahjong

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Fuji/Jankyu Mahjong

A new one in the stable. It's a Fuji/Jankyu Mahjong machine made in April of 1976. I have no idea how to play so I'll have to learn. It's entirely mechanical and has some very cool mechanical mechs to keep track of balls exchanged for tiles and other functions. I'll post more info later on as I get into it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

2. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Fuji/Jankyu Mahjong

Wow!!! Cannot wait to see and hear more about his one. Congratulations!
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I know another member had/has one of those and couldn't work out the correct tiles to get a payout, Either that or it was faulty or missing parts.

Please help in translating
    Ian #UKPachinko

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not sure but is it similiar to Eddie's Jankyu?

I know there is a LOT of restoration and other information contained in his thread

and there is gameplay explained too

My first Jankyu and its restoration
    Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

8. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    I know another member had/has one of those and couldn't work out the correct tiles to get a payout, Either that or it was faulty or missing parts.

Please help in translating
    Yup, that's mine...well not anymore! Emmadog needed a new member to his family and I expanded mine
    I have now entered the world of Jan Ball/Arrangeball

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to millermaster1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by hanabi View Post
    Not sure but is it similiar to Eddie's Jankyu?

I know there is a LOT of restoration and other information contained in his thread

and there is gameplay explained too

My first Jankyu and its restoration

This may be the or one of the precursors to Eddie's machine. His is a mahjong themed one as well, but it's a generation or so later and is electronic. His thread is a great read.

I haven't spent much time with it yet but I've gone over Millermaster's posts and video about it to get an understanding. I don't know what a winning hand of mahjong looks like so I don't yet know what happens when a winning hand is made. I've had all the instructions and stickers translated and they state how to start a game and what the various buttons do. Obviously, it was assumed anyone sitting down to play this in a parlor knew how to play mahjong so there's no info on the game of mahjong itself on the machine. The payout mech is interesting in that it is operated by a key inserted in the top left corner of the machine. Every time the key is turned, one coin is paid out and then spring tension returns the key to the starting point. So as was discussed before, did the attendant routinely walk the aisles and issue payouts with the key? I think that was the case. It's definitely a fascinating machine I'll go over it more to hash some things out.

12. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

be vewy vewy quiet im hunting pachis... Lt Teddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by millermaster1 View Post
    Yup, that's mine...well not anymore! Emmadog needed a new member to his family and I expanded mine
    I have now entered the world of Jan Ball/Arrangeball

Ok so pictures please.
    Over the hills and threw the woods, pachi hunting we go.
    Arrangeball Hunter
    ARRANGEBALLS 5, Slots 12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

jan ball.jpgIt was one of emmadog's projects, great job by the way!

15. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to millermaster1

be vewy vewy quiet im hunting pachis... Lt Teddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes I bought one of those on YJA. A very nice machine.
    Over the hills and threw the woods, pachi hunting we go.
    Arrangeball Hunter
    ARRANGEBALLS 5, Slots 12

17. The following user says "Thanks" to Lt Teddy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I love that machine. Hoping one day to find one myself, I know the odds are slim though.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

19. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

72 Pachi's, 36 Pachinko's, 2 Pallots, 3 Pinn's & 2 Pachinko Bar Signs. Links to About Me: pachijunkie's Videos

21. The following user says "Thanks" to new in town

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I spent an hour or so looking over the machine to develop an idea of how it works and how it functioned in a parlor setting. At this point I'm pretty confident that an attendant was required to pay the player when he won but it's just my best guess. This is the only example of this type of machine and maybe because they weren't popular plus the added expense of paying an attendant to constantly monitor the players. Though this does raise the question as to why it would then be necessary to equip the machine with a payout mech as opposed to having the attendant just carry around a supply of tokens. Could be to prevent the attendant from having to carry a ton of coins as each machine kept it's own supply. Also, each game would have lasted quite a bit longer since much more thought goes into figuring out the best hands and what tiles to exchange as opposed to the typical arrange ball's game play.
    I was curious to see how a game was started via non electrically. Typically this is done with a micro switch and a solenoid. In this case, after an incoming coin makes it thru the coin restrictor it then falls down a chute and lands on the top of a metal rod and rolls into the coin storage tube. The metal rod in turn gets pushed down and via some clever linkage, causes a ball stop to drop below the metal rail that the balls are lined up on. The balls then roll down to the shooter area. To shoot a ball, the orange button must be pushed each time to queue a ball. The first time it's pressed it resets the ball stop. Additionally, once a game is started no more coins can be inserted as the coin slot becomes blocked. This is done to prevent cheating. For example, let's say the player has winning hand(s) and you've used up your 10 exchanged balls. If the player decided he can still discard unneeded tiles but the balls will now roll down to the ball staging area and not the shooter area. If it were possible to drop another coin in, this would release the balls in the staging area and give the player more balls to improve his existing hand. He could do this over and over until he had the best possible hands. It's may be worth the risk to the player to only get a few more balls if he's owed more than one token since there's already a winning hand and at worst you'd lose one token. Hence the anti-cheat mechanism.
    Ok, so now a game has started and now the player queues up his 14 balls one at a time and shoots. The balls land in various pockets and flip over one green tile per ball starting at the bottom. Each pocket contains 5 tiles with the bottom 4 being the same and the top one displaying a character. If the player chooses he can discard up to 10 tiles by pressing the white button in front of that column. The tile flips back over and the ball lands back into the shooter area. Each time this happens, the needle advances one time on the lower dial until reaching 10. When that happens no more balls will be given out but if the player does press a white button again, the tile will flip over and release the ball but it will be diverted back to the staging area and not the shooter as was explained above. So I think the next step was that the attendant came by, examined and verified the winning tiles and paid out the correct amount of coins. This was done by inserting the key and turning it the required number of times with each turn dropping one coin into the front payout tray.
    The machine itself has no way of knowing if there are any winning hands. The balls just fall into the pockets and display the corresponding tiles. When a new game is desired, the player must press the orange button on the right side of the machine before inserting the coin. This lifts the bottom edge of the shelf (as viewed from the rear) and allows the balls to roll into the staging area and are stopped by the ball stop. This also resets the ball exchange dial and resets the coin entry anti-cheat device. A coin is then inserted and the balls are released.
    A very interesting machine with it's purely mechanical mechanisms to accomplish the various functions.
    pics
    1. key slot for payout key, coin insert, and coin return button
    2. logo that looks like a boar or bear's head. has "diamond" eyes but one is missing
    3. tiles and white exchange buttons
    4. tile exchange dial
    5. closeup of ball staging area. 14 balls fit between the red arrows
    6. cel closeup. the orange pockets bring the balls back out thru the large center slot
    Last edited by emmadog; 03-30-2012 at 03:06 PM.

23. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by millermaster1 View Post
    It was one of emmadog's projects, great job by the way!
    glad you like it. the first real restoration (cel replacement, painting, etc) and not just a cleaning/refurb i did was for a powerflash but that was the first one i did for an arrangeball. that was an interesting and challenging project. had some mystery wires and other parts and had to replace some electronics if i remember correctly but it all worked out. lots of fun to play with the bonus and all the different ways to win.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

removed the plate around the key hole and could see that the interior "lock" was just a metal rod with two projections 180 degrees apart. i made a crude key out of stuff i had laying aroud, brass tubing and threaded rod. i cut them to the desired lengths and notched the tube to fit over the projections. it's rough but works like a charm and now a quick 90 degree turn pays out a coin. i'll make a more finished, suitable one in the future.

26. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog