Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Arrange Ball Parts Info

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Arrange Ball Parts Info

The following is some info on parts relating to these machines. The most common part needing to be replaced on these is going to be the various types of light bulbs. A given machine can have several types of lights or all may be the same. The most common bulbs utilized are known as "T 1&3/4" type. These are very small and have two fine wires extending from the base of the bulb. These do not have a bayonet or screw base although these types are made. These wires then extend through the bottom of a silicone socket and the excess is bent up along the sides. The bulb and socket assembly then friction fits over two short metal prongs extending from a circuit board.
    The best way to find the right type for a given machine is to use a multimeter to get the specs required. Too high of a voltage will result in a dim light and too low will get hot. In my opinion, the factory bulbs are barely bright enough in a well-lit room. Unfortunately using bulbs rated for a lower voltage may be brighter, but will rapidly heat up. Particularly if the machine is left with matrix and/or score bulbs on. I have seen melted plastic matrix covers, charred circuit boards, and fried silicon sockets from people putting in the wrong bulb.
    Here are some specs for several bulbs:
    2162-14V@.1A
    2174-12V@.04A
    2176-24V@.05A
    2181-6.3V@.2A
    2182-14V@.08
    2187-28V@.04A
    There are also "regular" light bulbs that some arrange balls use in conjunction with the above mini bulbs. They may be bayonet or screw base and are typically used for the low token lights and general lighting. One most commonly used is the 1897 bulb and can be found at radio shack. In the future I will have a sticky on LED conversion. LEDs vastly outperform the factory bulbs while emitting the original color light. They also give off little to no heat. More on that later.
    All of these can be found at bulb supply stores online and also eBay. It pays to search as there is a wide price variation. The silicone sockets frequently must be replaced and I've only seen them for sale on YJA. With shipping I paid 50-75 cents apiece for them . That's pricey for what they are but cheap overall in context with the cost and shipping of the machine. However, wire insulation can be used in lieu of the sockets. See pic below.
    These machines all use a transformer that supplies the various voltages needed by the machine. The original voltage going into the transformer was 100V but I've had no issues running my machines on US current. I do however use a step-down transformer these days to bring the incoming current down to the original spec.
    Transformers are cheap and easy to be found. Hopefully the machine still has a transformer with all the specs written on it. If not, sometimes the specs are written on the circuit boards themselves but this will require someone who knows what they're doing to correctly find and wire in a new power source.
    Missing or damaged circuit boards can be fixed and replaced, it just comes down to how much the owner is willing to spend. The old circuit board components are cheap as are their modern equivalents, it's just the skilled labor that's expensive. Missing plastic and decorative parts can be reproduced with casting resin as long as an original can be found for the master mold. I've done this for a few parts and makes an exact copy of the original.
    Another "part" so to speak are the coins used to play. It's enough to say that just about any coin can be made to work. There are various devices within each machine to regulate the size of the coin. Some control the size by means of a small, sliding metal gate that can be adjusted up or down in the coin entry slot. That is common on Satomi machines. Another common way is to cause the coin to tilt at at angle after it is inserted. This way, the coin's top edge slides along an adjustable bar that if set low enough, allows the coin to continue it's journey into the machine. Any coins too short will simply roll down another slot and back out to the front of the machine in the coin return slot.
    Pic is of solution for replacing the silicone lamp sockets.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

2. The following 14 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Arrange Ball Parts Info

hear is some of the parts i have bought for My ArrangeBall machines
    http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/grou...s-locator.html
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for that info. Any useful data you can think of as in parts, tips, things to look out for, etc would be great. Ideally this would be the spot for all the sticky- type info and the Arrangeball owners group can contain all the pics. That's not written in stone of course but that's what I'm thinking.
    You too LT, you've got as much experience as anyone with these machines so any additional info is very welcome.

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

very helpful info but there are still some rat hairs in the tuna when it comes to working on these or any old imported machines.

I have been caught up with other things, mom 85 went into nursing home, dad 89 has chronic heart failure so free time not much of I have been working on other hobbies but I was putzing around with some regular Pachinkos lots of them ran 10 volt lights and people would use a 9 volt battery and it worked, 12 volt transformers made the bulbs too bright but also worked then I started thinking about that bulb issue I had with my arrangeball ( thread on here )

The transformers in these machines are a key at least in a way and it would be really cool if you guys with a room full could list some voltages of the transformers,
    For example, the last machine I was messing with had a common but bad radio shack transformer the input is standard US 120 volt AC and the output is also AC but 25.2 volts at 2 amps, the solenoids in these machines like to slam hard.

So a list of transformer voltage in this case output is more important would really be a help, you say you use a step down...okay how much does it step down?
    I would love to know what voltage they were made to use in Japan then what are they settling on here sadly my arrangeball is in the back of a room filled with pachislos and pachinkos so I can't go look right now, but I am thinking when people reply with what input voltage their arrangeballs use it will be around 25 volts and I will add a piece to this puzzle when I get some replies on voltage. many thanks
    "We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of the dreams"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

They were designed to work with an input of 100V. I use one step down transformer that all my machines get their power from and steps the voltage down to 100V. It plugs into the wall and has two outputs of 120V or 100V. I obviously don't have or want all my machines on at once so I have a very convenient on/off switch on each machine. Tomorrow I'll post the output voltages of my machines' transformers.

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Okay..good puzzle piece Japan wall voltage is 100 volt and plugging our 110 into that would heat up if not ruin that 100 volt transformer but it might still last a while.

I look forward to learning the input voltage on several arrangeball machines my guess is around 25 volts but it came to me messing with regular pachinkos that people might have used the wrong input voltage...could work but might explain odd issues.

My coin opp regular pachinko doesn't really count as it's an American conversion.

In your bulb list the most you list is 28 volt and the least is 6.3 so lets say that arrangeballs call for 25 volts plus minus a volt or two,
    the 28 volt bulb would work, slightly dim like you made a comment about but the 6.3 worries me to drop 25 volts 18.7 volts to get the desired 6.3 would take a good resistor with high wattage or it would get really hot fast.

I have a full plate the next few days, show Friday night then up to jacksonville to be with dad but next week I will make it to my arrangeball to see what mine is running for input to machine volts.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Some of the labels are missing on a few of the transformers but on the ones I could read, the input was 100V.
    Most of them had multiple output voltages.A late model Taiyo had 25.5, 14, and 9.
    A Satomi had 24, 10, and 8.
    Typically the bulbs in the upper corners for low token, etc are a different type (common screw base) and voltage than the number matrix lights.
    Let me know if you want me to look up anything else.

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the output on the transformer is going to be one voltage...thats the one i am most interested in...and like i thought around 25 volts..., they would use resistors to drop blub voltage, recall my arrange ball with lamp issues i will not know till next week but i bet a pachislo token that my transformer is putting out too much volts ( around 35 ) and burning the lamps to bright. not to add confusion but this radio shack transformer i just bought has two output voltages but you can only use one at a time...depend how you wire it. so are you saying your transformers have several wires on the out put side and have different voltages from one transformer?
    Last edited by The13bats; 09-06-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: more

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes, on the ones with legible labels, there's a diagram showing the transformer's "schematic" and the different voltages its putting out. 3 of my later Taiyos came to me from YJA and had been modded. When I was reversing the simple mods I found out that those separate voltages all went to specific parts of the main circuit board. By process of elimination I sorted out what the various outages powered and then double checked that with a multimeter for example with one of the number lights. So it looks to me that the correct voltage needed for a given component is provided by one of the multiple outputs from the transformer. That's a very amateur opinion though.

15. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I do believe you are right on target with that, big puzzle piece for me,

Sandwich Shooter ironworkerdalton's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Can you tell us how to go about modding your arrange ball to set up for led lights. Pics, where to get the led's what kind of led's. Do you hard wire them in, or is there led's that we can get that just will just go into the socket?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

LED calculator for single LEDs
    That's a link to what size resistor to use based on the specs of your machine.
    The LEDs are just cheap ones you can get off eBay for a few bucks per 100. I use the warmwhite ones. They're not hard wired in to my machines and are easily removed. No mods are needed to the machine itself. I just wired the resistor to the LED and use the original silicone sockets to mount the entire thing. Some machines will run a residual current thru the number matrix one at least one number is lit. The problem is that this will cause other LEDs to glow dimly and I don't know a way around that. I'm sure there's a way but its beyond me. At least one of my machines is that way. To check yours, put a ball in a poket and test the leads on an unlit pocket with a multimeter and see if there's a voltage.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I',m a newby here and I'm trying to find bulbs for my Taiy-Electron Arrange Challenge Ball. I checked the voltage and it's 30DCV. Do you think the 2186 or 2187 would work or would they burn out? Any info would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Game Guy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Game Guy View Post
    I',m a newby here and I'm trying to find bulbs for my Taiy-Electron Arrange Challenge Ball. I checked the voltage and it's 30DCV. Do you think the 2186 or 2187 would work or would they burn out? Any info would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Game Guy
    Post pics of your machine please. I've got a few of those myself.
    I don't remember the specs of those bulbs but I'd buy the closest voltage rating you can. You may not be able to find the exact bulb required but you should be able to get close. If you do some searching you can find them pretty cheap. If you have to go a couple volts lower, they'll be brighter but burn hotter and vise versa so keep that in mind.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just read my first post of this thread so I'd go with 2187's. They'll be a little hotter so don't leave the game on unplayed with any of the number lites on for any length of time. I've seen several melted parts before.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Game Guy View Post
    Regards,
    Game Guy
    Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll try the 2187s. I also need a few balls, my machine only has 5 and I just read it should have 16. Have any idea as to where I could find them? I have a vintage pinball and slot machine but I think I'll enjoy the Arrange machine much more.
    Regards,
    Game Guy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Game Guy,
    Your fee for us helping is to post pics of your arrangeball!!!
    eBay is the best place for balls and you dont need many so that'll be cheap.
    are you using tokens or is it modded to accept quarters,etc?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Arrange Ball Machines-General Description

that's a link to an article i wrote regarding these machines.
    there's also an arrangeball owner's group on this forum where you can see various machines.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    Game Guy,
    Your fee for us helping is to post pics of your arrangeball!!!
    eBay is the best place for balls and you dont need many so that'll be cheap.
    are you using tokens or is it modded to accept quarters,etc?

I have pictures but don't know how to post them. My machine takes tokens, they're .0984 and work reaally well. They came with a slot machine and are slightly smaller than a quarter. I'll get the website to order then if you need it. I'll check ebay for balls, I assume they are the same for all machines. Do you know where I could find a user manual? I really have no idea what makes the machine pay out, other than the printed pattern on the machine.
    Many thanks for the information and support and I look forward to getting to know everyone.
    Regards,
    Game Guy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast