Thread: An almost complete history on the Daiichi brand

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default An almost complete history on the Daiichi brand

Well I was looking through member Rival's website a few weeks ago and got inspired by his models page. I saw that and thought I could help him add more things to that page. So I went off making a history on the Daiichi models.

There are some gaps but that is only because I have yet to get information on a machine from those years. Anyways I'll post them all here below in order. They will be in the format that Rival uses on his site.

Some members might recognize a few machines here. I'd also like to give a big thanks for those members who helped me.

Brief history and facts about Daiichi: The Daiichi company was founded March 1st in 1952 in Aichi Prefecture, basically just north of Nagoya, Japan. The word Daiichi means "Number One". Daiichi pachinko machines from the mid 1970's are fairly common in the United States. These machines are mainly recognized by their slanted ball panel and the 2 different types of laminate on the front of them. Daiichi also loved their logo and name, so they decided to put it everywhere on their machines. It is always fun to see how many logos or Daiichi names you can find on your machine.

1961 Daiichi
    Rear mechanics: "B" style
    Payout style: Undetermined at this time
    Playfield graphics: Undetermined at this time

The 1961 offering from Daiichi is a hard to find model in the United States. It is easily recognizable by the red and white front plastic and the round ashtray. Also has the word DAIICHI punched out in the top of the chrome frame. The spinners are 3-slotted and painted white, with a red center, and red rim. The front case was always a maize wood finish.
    61 - F.jpg61 - B.jpg

1962 Daiichi

The 1962 offering from Daiichi is a hard to find model in the United States. It is easily recognizable by the navy blue and white front plastic and the round ashtray. Also has the word DAIICHI punched out in the top of the chrome frame. The spinners are 9-slotted and painted white, with a red center, gold circle with a black ring in the middle, and red rim. The front case was always a maize wood finish.
    62 - F.jpg

1963 Daiichi

The 1963 offering from Daiichi is a hard to find model in the United States. It is easily recognizable by the geometric shapes around the front tray. Also has the word DAIICHI punched out all the way across the top of the chrome frame. The spinners are 9-slotted and painted white, with a red center, blue circle, yellow circle, and red rim. Still has the same back mechanics as the 61 -62 models. The front case was always a maize wood finish with a white laminate strip behind the front ball tray.
    63 - F.jpg63 - B.jpg63 - F - 2.jpg

1964 Daiichi

The 1964 offering from Daiichi is a hard to find model in the United States. It is easily recognizable by the geometric shapes around the front tray. Also has the word DAIICHI punched out only in the middle of the top of the chrome frame; unlike the 1963 model where it went all the way across the top. The spinners are 9-slotted and painted white, with a red center, black circle, gold circle, and red rim. Has newer back mechanics that have more plastic on them than the 61-63 models. The front case was always a maize wood finish with a white laminate strip behind the front ball tray.
    64 - F.jpg64 - B.jpg

1965 Daiichi

The 1965 offering from Daiichi is a hard to find model in the United States. It is easily recognizable by the word DAIICHI stamped into the metal panel behind the front tray. The spinners are 9-slotted and painted white, with a red center, black circle, gold circle, and red rim. The front case was always a maize wood finish.
    65 - F.jpg

The rest will be continued in post #2

100 machines and counting...

2. The following 13 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: An almost complete history on the Daiichi brand

1967 Daiichi

The 1967 offering from Daiichi is a hard to find model in the United States. It is easily recognizable by the word DAIICHI stamped into the front metal tray. The spinners are 3-slotted and painted white, with a red center, a blue circle, a yellow circle, and a red rim. The front case was always white wood-like laminate on the top with a brown wood-like laminate on the bottom.
    67 - F.jpg

1969 Daiichi
    Payout style: All-15

The 1969 offering from Daiichi is a hard to find model in the United States. It is easily recognizable by the word DAIICHI stamped into the lower front metal tray. Also we think this is the first year that Daiichi made a machine with 2 trays on the front. The term for the upper tray on this machine is called an overflow tray, as you can pull the arm back to drain your overflow balls to the lower tray. The spinners are 9-slotted and painted white, a red circle, and a tan rim. The front case was always white wood-like laminate on the top with a brown wood-like laminate on the bottom.
    69 - F.jpg69 - B.jpg

1971 Daiichi
    Glass size: 15 1/2" x 16" (two panes)

The 1971 offering from Daiichi is a fairly common model in the United States. It is easily recognizable by the blue color slanted front ball loader panel. From what we know this is probably the first year they used the slanted ball loader panel. This model is also recognized because of the 239D writing next to the loader window in the front tray. The spinners are 3-slotted and painted white, with a red center, blue circle, yellow circle, and red rim. The front ball loader panel is plastic and is opened by removing the 4 screws on the sides of it. Has only green back mechanics. The front case was always white wood-like laminate on the top with a brown wood-like laminate on the bottom.
    71 - F.jpg71 - B.jpg

1973 Daiichi

The 1973 offering from Daiichi is a fairly common model in the United States. It is easily recognizable by the dark navy blue almost black color slanted front ball loader panel. The spinners are 3-slotted and painted white, with a red center, blue circle, yellow circle, and red rim. The front ball loader panel is plastic and is opened by removing the 4 screws on the sides of it. Has either green or orange back mechanics. The front case was always white wood-like laminate on the top with a brown wood-like laminate on the bottom.
    73 - F.jpg

1974 Daiichi

The 1974 offering from Daiichi is a fairly common model in the United States. It is easily recognizable by the harvest gold color slanted front ball loader panel. The spinners are 3-slotted and painted white, with a red center, blue circle, gold circle, and red rim. The front ball loader panel is plastic and is opened by removing the 4 screws on the sides of it. Has either green or orange back mechanics. The front case was always white wood-like laminate on the top with a brown wood-like laminate on the bottom.
    74 - F.jpg74 - B.jpg

Final ones in post #3

4. The following 13 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

1975 Daiichi

The 1975 offering from Daiichi is a fairly common model in the United States. It is easily recognizable by the dark green color slanted front ball loader panel. The spinners are 3-slotted and painted white, with a red center, gold circle with a black ring in the middle, and red rim. The front ball loader panel is plastic and is opened by removing the 4 screws on the sides of it. Has orange back mechanics. The front case was always white wood-like laminate on the top with a brown wood-like laminate on the bottom.
    75 - F.jpg75 - B.jpg

1976 Daiichi

The 1976 offering from Daiichi is a fairly common model in the United States. It is easily recognizable by the light blue color slanted front ball loader panel. The spinners are 3-slotted and painted white, with an orange center, gold circle with a black ring in the middle, and orange rim. The front ball loader panel is plastic and is opened by removing the 4 screws on the sides of it. Has orange back mechanics. The front case was always white wood-like laminate on the top with a brown wood-like laminate on the bottom.
    76 - F.jpg76 - B.jpg

Sorry I noticed that the glass size in the previous posts isn't correct. I still need to go and get those final measurements. I guess I was just a little excited to post all this info.

6. The following 13 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The 64 daiichi with the cool geometric pattern is identical to one I sold to somebody, don't remember who. the Flickr photos in another thread show this same machine and in fact I'm inclined to think it was my original machine. I bought that one and the Maruhon on rival's website that he calls "cinnamon circle" together from a servicemember who bought them in Japan and brought them back to the US.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

8. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My schedule is so jammed this week and weekend, I am going to fight hard to make some time to get this content posted up. This is really an exceptional amount of great work. I have no doubt it will be the standard for years to come on identifying Daiichi models.

Excellent job!

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This should be a sticky. Nice work!!!
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

12. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    The 64 daiichi with the cool geometric pattern is identical to one I sold to somebody, don't remember who. the Flickr photos in another thread show this same machine and in fact I'm inclined to think it was my original machine. I bought that one and the Maruhon on rival's website that he calls "cinnamon circle" together from a servicemember who bought them in Japan and brought them back to the US.
    You would be correct in all your sayings.

I found this old thread http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/ebay...ngle-shot.html

Then did some searching on google and found this guys Flikr page. http://www.flickr.com/photos/30709164@N07/5064648668/

Same guy has pics of both the daiichi and the maruhon. Both look great. He also has a few other cool pics.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well I got the glass size should anyone really want it.

16" w X 14";17 5/8"

Any members want to suggest a brand to do next? (Not doing Nishijin)

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

How about Maruhon?
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

17. The following user says "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

wow this took alot of time and effort. Thank you for sharing the information

19. The following user says "Thanks" to beachcat

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great Info! I was happy to read up on most of the machines i have in my Daiichi collection. I like the 3rd picture of the 1963 Daiichi!!! Thanks

21. The following user says "Thanks" to miked5136

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I finally got all those pictures edited and all of the descriptions put into html and linked up in a browser-friendly way. Now the data is permanantly enshrined and available at:

http://pachinkoplanet.com/zencart/in...age=page&id=23

If anyone finds any errors in my editing please let me know. Huge thanks to Max for sending me all this to post up.

23. The following user says "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    I finally got all those pictures edited and all of the descriptions put into html and linked up in a browser-friendly way. Now the data is permanantly enshrined and available at:

http://pachinkoplanet.com/zencart/in...age=page&id=23

If anyone finds any errors in my editing please let me know. Huge thanks to Max for sending me all this to post up.
    In your "History" segment you mention that The power flash is a precursor to arrangeballs and I don't see the arrangeball evolving from a power flash, etc. Also, I think arrangeballs came before arepachis which pay out in balls not tokens. They're two different types of machines.
    If you have any documentation supporting this, please post it. In all my books there is no mention of arrangeballs or arepachis but a power roulette is profiled.
    Last edited by emmadog; 03-28-2012 at 07:38 PM.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

25. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    If anyone finds any errors in my editing please let me know.
    Nothing for you to change James.

I just wanted to let the community know that after I took a good looking over of the info. I posted I noticed I had a mistake.

The 74 machine should be 73. And the 73 machine should be 74.

James has that issues corrected on his site already.

Also I noticed I didn't quite finish the main text for the 65 machine. (spinner colors are wrong) Oh well.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    I just wanted to let the community know that after I took a good looking over of the info. I posted I noticed I had a mistake.

The 74 machine should be 73. And the 73 machine should be 74.

Also I noticed I didn't quite finish the main text for the 65 machine. (spinner colors are wrong) Oh well.
    I can edit it for you, just Pm the details if you have them

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

28. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi