Thread: Very sad day for me.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Very sad day for me.

I had to put my dog to sleep today, his name was Cody, and he was 9 years old and was a Sheltie. He was truly my best friend and companion, he had a stroke last week, and was full of tumors, one came out on his nose and another on his head, and he was not able to walk anymore. I know it was the right decision but it really tears me up inside that I had to do this. Any kind words from the dog lovers on this board would be most appreciated at this very painful time for me.
    Todd

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Very sad day for me.

I am sad to hear of your best buddy like this.

I know that if my only live in companion (mix breed 5 year old puppy) right now would be taken away from me that I would be very upset and sad also.

I feel your pain as over the years I have had to do the same as you have done and it is a very painfull thing to go thru.

Please take care.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I feel your pain last june right after high school graduation i had to have my sheltie Taz put to sleep after 10 years, it was the hardest thing ive ever had to do. By the way it was the same thing he had 2 tumors.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

my sympathy,

i've lost 3 dogs in the last 27 years here in florida,

the last one was my only comfort while going thru a painful diviorce i didn't want,

i miss the dog more than my ex now.

samson is a little over 6 years old, so i hoping he will be with me for the next 5 or 10 years.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i waited almost a year before getting the chihuahua i have now but i still miss my other dog.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I too am saddened to hear of your loss. My 10 year old schnauzer "Smokey" is light of our home. I know when his time comes I will mourn deeply. My wife I'm sure will not be consolable.

Remember that what you did was the the best for your friend and in your kindness to end his suffering, you honored his life.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A DOG'S PRAYER

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for thought i should lick your hand between the blows you patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the worlds sweetest music, as you must know by my fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for i am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. and i ask no greater glory than the privilage of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you though ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and i am your devoted worshipper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although i should not reproach you were it dry, i cannot tell you when i suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that i may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me my health or sight do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest - and i will leave you knowing with the last breath i drew my fate was ever safest in your hands.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When I put my last dog to sleep it was a very, very hard thing to do. The vet asked me to bring her in to look at her. Pandy (she was half Peke) kept staring at me when we drove to the vet's. After the vet took her out of my sight, he came back in and suggested she would be better put to sleep. I reluctantly said OK.

It was awful. But, you know what, I wrote a message to a lady with whom I'd been talking to on a bulletin board telling her about it -- that message made her realize I was probably a decent person and we met in person! That person today is my wife and we've been married for 18 years and have a 13 year old daughter.

Talk about clouds with silver linings!
    Last edited by slotter; 03-21-2005 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Todd, sorry for your loss. My inlaws use to raise shelties and we had 3 of our own over the years. All 3 have passed away. We currently have one dog (a boxer mix), but I know how hard it is when you have to let them go. Our last sheltie was running in the back yard having fun and collapsed and my wife had to carry him back in the house. When she got him in the house he walked over to the spot he normally sat like there was nothing wrong, moved to a different spot and started to convulse. He had a stroke and died about an hour later. Still hard to talk about almost a year later.
    and a few others.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My deepest thoughts are with you. Think of the joy that you received from the companionship you two sharred and allow that to be some comfort to you know and in the future.
    *Fever Wanted*Thunderzone*/ *Paijima*Oh Hanabi*Automatic*Nobunaga No Yobou(King of the battle world)*Hanabi Hyakkei*Speed Racer*Thunderbirds*Babel*Gold X*Beast Sapp*King Camel*Fire Drift*

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I appreciate hearing from all of you, some people who aren't dog lovers don't understand the pain a person feels when losing a dog, this dog was like my child, and he was always a loyal and good friend to me. Thanks again for helping me in this difficult time for me.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Question Re: Very sad day for me.

i think you need a group hug,, and if i could post those little group hug's i would,, could someone post them for me

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here it is.
    and a few others.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks again everyone for your stories and kind words. The hardest part is all the routines the last 9 years, him waiting patiently at my bedroom door to greet me, saying hi to him when I come in the door or goodbye when I leave, and taking him out and saying goodnight to him when it's time for bed. I caught myself ready to do these things several times yesterday and that just reminded me how much I miss him. It just shows how no one should take animals or people for granted because life is so fragile.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wolfsblood it will take a while to get used to it took me about 3 weeks to get used to not having my best friend with me anymore. I would have to say shelties are one of the best dogs around.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i lost a special pal of mine 6 years ago,, and i have two other pals living with me now,, and every once in awhile i find myself calling them by my old pals name,, sometimes memories are the best thing in the world,, you can't replace them but you will go on.............

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsblood
    ..........It just shows how no one should take animals or people for granted because life is so fragile.
    I won't go into a long drawn out history of what I have been thru the last few years but this statement you make is absolutely one that I hope everyone will embrace everyday.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I too am very sorry, but remember "all dogs go to heaven".
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I too am sorry to hear anyone have to go through this. Ive had four Great Danes and have lost two. One 11 years old and one 4 years old. You can never actually replace a pet, but a life with no pets is a pretty lonesome place. If I hadnt decided to get another I wouldnt have the Dog I have in the picture Hes 3 now and a very big part of my life. I dont really remember not having a pet, and dont plan to go without. Hope you find peace and a place in your heart to share with another.
    Greetings from Nevada!!!!!