Thread: How do i connect my replacement motor?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default How do i connect my replacement motor?

I am attempting to replace the ball launching motor on my Trapeze pachinko. (picture 5 below).

I just got what i hope is a replacement motor. My question is that it arrived with a separate capacitor. I'm not sure what purpose the capacitor serves and more importantly whether I need to install it into the pachinko machine (perhaps I don't need it or perhaps the pachinko machine already has it). If I do need to install it how do I connect it?

I have 4 wires coming out of the original motor and 4 wires (plus ground) coming out of the new motor. i originally was just going to splice the new wires into the old ones randomly trying to connect the various wires until I hopefully got it right. Now with the capacitor question I am a little reluctant to do that.

Any Thoughts?

Picture # 1: Original motor - 4 wires :orange, yellow, green and brown
    Picture #2 : New motor - 5 wires : 2 black, 2 white plus 1 green (ground). One black wire seems to terminate in the small red plastic piece
    Picture 3: capacitor
    picture 4: schematic that came with new motor and capacitor
    picture 5 : electrical section of back of pachinko. (small yellow plastic rectangular piece on metal plate near center of picture is where the motor plugs in, Brass colored recatngular piece in lower right of picture is where the AC power comes in - Is this an existing capacitor?

Thanks,

Bob

IMG_2192.jpgIMG_2193.jpgIMG_2194.jpgIMG_2196.jpgIMG_2198.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: How do i connect my replacement motor?

I'm not certain...but this is what I see. The motor looks like it was designed to work for clockwise or counterclockwise rotation. So step one is to determine which direction you need the motor to run. As I suspected before I looked at the schematic, the black wire is not terminated at the red block...rather spliced into the white wire at the red block. The capacitor goes between the single white and single black wires. Power going to the motor is 115 volts one lead goes to the black and white wire with the red splice. the other lead will hook up on either side of the capacitor depending on direction of rotation. Now I don't remember how to identify which terminal is what on the capacitor ( I think one is an annode, and the other is a cathode), nor do I remember if it matters. Also, I can't tell what is going on behind the yellow connector on your machine. You may have the capacitor built in...or maybe the value of the capacitor is different for the replacement motor. Just a guess...If when knob is turned, there is 115v at two terminals, wire as schematic shows. this will bypass the internal capacitor using the one rated for the replacement motor. Otherwise more extensive testing with a multimeter will be required. Wait for more responses by more qualified members than me. The circuit looks simple enough to just make the motor run off of line voltage, but the plug in connector with unknown circuits behind it complicates things.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

well for one thing that machine used a 24v motor to start with so if your replacement motor is 115v then it is not going to work in that machine at all
    the

LLTR

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I haven't been able to install it yet but I have wired it to the machine and so far it seems to be working OK. It is going a little slower (I would guess about 70 RPM instead of what i believe should be about 120 RPM). Although the torque seems OK I will not know for sure until I figure out how to install the motor.

I would still prefer to get the right motor - any thoughts on where I could get a replacement 24 V motor that could work here?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

best bet would be finding a machine that is being parted out or finding a parts machine yourself
    the

LLTR

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just to give you an update (if anyone is reading this). I initially installed my new motor with capacitor to the 24v internal power (the wires that connected to the original motor). This resulted in a slower RPM ( perhaps 70 RPM instead of the 135 stated RPM). I could have lived with this but the Torque was too low. I then tried to wire the new motor directly off the 110 volt power supply. I got good rotation and torque but could not dial up and down the force of the shot because I was effectively bypassing the launch knob.

I then connected the launch knob through a 24volt relay so that when I turned the knob it closed the circuit for 110 volts to go to the launch motor. This seems to be working fine. I may not be able to control the intensity of the launch as well as I could with the original motor and setup (although the difference is subtle and may just be in my mind) but I can now launch about 135 balls per minute instead of the previous 120.

SUCCESS !!!

7. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to bobandyo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Being a Technical guy myself I'm always amazed at the creativity, talent, and "out of the box thinking" on this site. Good work bo!

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Microbus99

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i do have about 10 motors for that style machine if you want it to be correct and original

just sayin lol

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I wish I had heard from you before i went through the time and expense of figuring out a work-a-round. Although, to be honest, I think I get more enjoyment from the acquisition and the fixing of the machines than I do from the actual playing of them. With that said I do like the idea of having original equipment - what are you proposing?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Bob,
    Are you able to control the force of your launch? On hanemonos, I would try to find two "sweet spots". The first sweet spot to aim for, is one that lands a pachinko ball in the "1" or "2" pocket at the bottom. The second sweet spot is one that lands a pachinko ball inside the wings in the center feature. So, having some degree of control helps tremendously to get into jackpot mode.
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard