Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Satomi Arrangeball is home!!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Satomi Arrangeball is home!!!

I just spoke to the gentleman. I will be taking the boards to him tomorrow morning. He is expecting the job will not be too difficult and cost to range between $50 - $200.

I still need to order the bulbs for the machine. I do intend to do a full restoration, however first I want to work out the gameplay issues.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

be vewy vewy quiet im hunting pachis... Lt Teddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Card Shark View Post
    I just spoke to the gentleman. I will be taking the boards to him tomorrow morning. He is expecting the job will not be too difficult and cost to range between $50 - $200.

I still need to order the bulbs for the machine. I do intend to do a full restoration, however first I want to work out the gameplay issues.
    Please share with us how he does. I have a board with a relay with a loose connection that is soldered in the board. It is one of the small relays but not sure if they can be unsoldered and replaced or resodered.
    Over the hills and threw the woods, pachi hunting we go.
    Arrangeball Hunter
    ARRANGEBALLS 5, Slots 12

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Lt Teddy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I will certainly let everyone know the results. He felt like the turn around would only be a few days. Hoping this takes care of the payout issues. Once that is taken care of and I get the missing bulbs I should have a fully functional machine. Then the cleaning begins and I plan to build a nice cabinet and stand for the machine.

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey Shark,
    Any news on your boards?
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Should be getting them back this weekend. Once I have them and test them, I will certainly post the results and costs. Wish me luck...

9. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool, thanks.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Card Shark View Post
    Should be getting them back this weekend. Once I have them and test them, I will certainly post the results and costs. Wish me luck...
    Any updates? If your guy was able to fix them he'd be a good resource for the forum.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I spoke to him yesterday, his response was he offers three options:
    1. Fixed right
    2. Fixed cheap
    3. Fixed fast

I get to choose two of the three.

I am getting impatient, but I did stress to him when dropping them off that I wouldn't be able to replace them if damaged during the repair nd asked that he be extremely careful with them.

I will certainly keep everyone posted once there is more to report.

13. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Update:

The good news is there is nothing wrong with the first board and the gentleman is not going to charge me for checking it out.

The bad news is he is going on a three week vacation and will not be able to work on the second board until he returns.

I am trying to be patient and he is very apologetic for how long this is taking. He felt like the work would be easy and focused on other projects. So far he has deduced that the problem does not lie in the resistors.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the update. The waiting is frustrating but comes with the territory sometimes. The refurb company that I use ( different entity than the engineer that designs stuff for me/schematics, etc.) puts my projects on hold at times because their main contracts are worth many thousands. I use them because they're fast once they start and do good work. Right now they're going over my Nish Super Bang board and Satomi Buffalo's board. Those are both working properly but the Satomi is my next full restoration project and the Bang will be getting a resto as well. I want as reliable as possible boards in those machines.

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have a back up plan for the boards should he not come through for me. I had been holding off cleaning and restoring the machine until the boards were back and tested. I don't think I can wait anymore to start working on it.

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

if the boards don't work then having a back up plan is great of course. one route, though involved would be a PIC micro controller. i think it's unlikely that the boards can't be made to work. the boards are simple even by the standards when they were made and especially so today. what they did as far as gameplay may have been proprietary/ intellectual info and maybe even copyrighted but the components that make them up are run-of-the-mill. i think i'd start cleaning the machine up to the level desired, that way when the boards come back it's just a matter of plugging them in and playing.

20. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Shark,
    Thought you might like to see where the inspiration for your Satomi's cel came from. It's from an early Williams pinball with the artwork done by one of my favorites, Christian Marche.
    So we were headed to our favorite Lebanese restaurant and we popped into a great vintage store next door. Not filled with cheap plastic crap but really cool stuff. In the back are a couple of shuffle bowlers, bingo machines, and this lone head box from the aforementioned pin. If the glass wasn't peeling I woulda made an offer just for the art.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337223492.124401.jpg
    Last edited by emmadog; 05-16-2012 at 11:00 PM.

22. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Update:

The guy is back from vacation finally. Hoping to get the boards back soon.

24. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

looking forward to hopefully see it fire up properly. if this doesn't work, what's your backup plan?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If this doesn't work, then the whole machine is going to my Dad. He stays very busy but these circuit boards wouldn't even be a challenge for him.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

nice, you're fortunate to have a family member with those abilities. hopefully if any circuit board components that need to be replaced can be sourced. i recently ran into a problem with finding a component-as time goes on some get harder to find. the electronics repair house that does my work not only couldn't find a part but also couldn't find any data on it anywhere which surprised me but really surprised them since that's what they do. the data is needed to see if a substitute can be used. over time i've spent a fair amount of effort in talking to people/companies that specialize in obsolete parts so i have some good resources but none of them had any info on the part in question as well. long story short, i finally found the part in taiwan but there was a 500 count minimum buy. i clicked on the buy button just to see the price but got an out of stock message. fortunately, i had a backup part from a parts machine.
    anyway, lemme know if and when the time comes and i can send you the info. also while on the subject of parts and repair, some arrangeballs have eprom chips which contain sound effects and other data that controls other functions your machine doesn't have any but if you acquire a machine that does, it's a good idea to buy the correct eproms as backup which are still available and cheap. you then make a copy of the data on the original one using the new one as the data has a finite life of around 15-20 yrs.

28. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i just dug my machine out of the closet where I store my other arrangeballs and played a few games. it got me wondering about yours. ever get the boards repaired?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4